New PRS Silver Sky

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New PRS Silver Sky

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:39 pm

I assure you that I've heard Joe Satriani's music. I've given it the chance it deserved.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:39 pm
I assure you that I've heard Joe Satriani's music. I've given it the chance it deserved.
Likewise, I haven’t criticized anything without giving it a fair shot. That’s not my style.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Telliot is entitled to his opinion and that is OK. Not everyone is into guitar rawk.....and that is also OK. Like I despise with a passion Radiohead, and QOTSA. I also dislike Hank Williams II, but not Hank I or Hank III. Geez...leave the guy alone. Malmsteen is definitely an acquired taste, and he is a total pumpkin head. Not everyone gets off on "Surfing with an Alien" or Van Halen.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
As long as you gave it a try, that is a completely reasonable position. I'm certainly not against hating things. I myself hate many things that other people love, like Michael Bay movies, baseball, and John Mayer's music. I've given all those things a fair shake and decided they suck.
Doug
@dpcannafax

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Back on topic......that PRS is a friggin Strat. I'm sure the Dave Navaro endorsement is around the corner. Maybe it's a great guitar....have not played it, but if I want a strat, i'll buy a strat. Somehow PRS in general leaves me a bit cold. I don't know why though.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:28 pm
I think Flying in a Blue Dream and Surfing with the Alien are awesome albums and I don't give a fuck who knows it. It's just sad and lame when people outright dismiss entire genres or styles (or foods, experiences, and ideas) without giving them a chance.
Yeah, but your avatar is The Bad Doctor so you obviously have good taste!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:27 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm
Yeah, but your avatar is The Bad Doctor so you obviously have good taste!
Obviously.
And your Pinback album avatar tells me that you are clearly a man of discerning taste.
Doug
@dpcannafax

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm
Yngwie plays with the Japanese Philharmonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HTATjVcO0
I'm not a fan of the other three things you listed, but I can understand why someone might be into them. This, however, is an abomination. It's like he's not even aware that there's music going on behind him.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:10 pm

People don't have to like every style of music or every example within it, (I don't), nor every artist or performer or their physical ability, but when you write and perform something like Rubina live at Montreux festival how you can be considered unmusical or musically unfeeling is beyond me. I argue against that (not against disliking it, but against dismissing it as "all knowledge, no feeling") and similar attitudes. Maybe it's the reputation that comes with being celebrated as a standout in that particular area. I can totally understand that a guy who plays humbucker Ibanez 'axes' into cranked Marshall/Peavey stacks and shreds a lot doesn't tick the boxes for many (particularly on a Jazzmaster site). But credit where credit's due, it's rare for these shreddy-types to also be able to "sing" with their instrument and move (some, not all) people while doing it. That's why I'm happy to listen to Joe but don't find most of those other "virtuoso" players interesting.

Seems many artists are a bit like a cult movie, where all the right ingredients & quantities really hit the spot for some but just don't do anything for others, and so they then start spouting words like 'over-rated'. ::)

Art is art. You don't have to like my clay models and I don't have to like your abstract oil paintings. But "seen one, seen them all" is not always true, and one man's trash...

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 pm
Yngwie plays with the Japanese Philharmonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9HTATjVcO0
Great demonstration of everything wrong with guys like Malmsteen who can't shut the fuck up long enough for anyone in the audience to appreciate the rhythm or tempo of a song. Every moment has to be filled with superfluous "shredding" aided by unnnecessary fills and frills between bars because god forbid he suffer a single moment of silence.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:17 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 pm
I'm not a fan of the other three things you listed, but I can understand why someone might be into them. This, however, is an abomination. It's like he's not even aware that there's music going on behind him.
:D That's Yngwie... love him or hate him at least you know what you're gonna get

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Telliot wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:54 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Likewise, I haven’t criticized anything without giving it a fair shot. That’s not my style.
I have! ;) :D

After the first few of these characters I've found that all it needs is a photograph, a picture being worth a thousand words but less painful than getting a YouTube knitting needle rammed in your lughole.

There's never been a dapper shreddie and while you should never judge a book by its cover...a lot of the time you can and much like a poison arrow frog advertises it's toxicity through its colours, many musicians do you a favour by dressing like a fucking clown. Time and again...just one look was all it took, from the RHCP, to Guns N Roses, to every braindamaging shreddie, they were all good enough at least provide me with a visual warning.

I generally do my best to remain ignorant of how musicians look when buying their records for the first time and a lot of the records I buy don't have portraits on the sleeve anyway but somehow the stuff I truly despise always comes to me first as an image.

Hell most of the time you don't even need to hear or see them to know they are poison. I can often know I won't like a band on OSG based in who posted it, just as I'm sure this goes double with many folk with music I post.

I'd also say that while I generally don't don't give a shit about what guitar folk play, I guess you could easily go through your musical life judging shreddies on their signature widdle sticks and not miss much aural rhapsody.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 am

I have a simple philosophy.

If you have the money, you buy whatever suits your taste. Money cannot buy taste.

If you don't have the money, you buy the best you can afford that suits your taste. Some people still still waste money....

If you have no taste, well.... you can always copy something that is generally accepted as tasteful, then paint it silver and mention the clouds.

:w00t: :D :D ;)
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:56 am

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:45 pm
Hell most of the time you don't even need to hear or see them to know they are poison. I can often know I won't like a band on OSG based in who posted it, just as I'm sure this goes double with many folk with music I post.
I judge people more than I probably should, but I don't do that with music or movies. I've met people who's taste in things has surprised me, and occasionally gain common ground with someone I didn't think I'd be more chummy with. To each their own and all that, but the day I can judge everyone and everything accurately like that, someone please shoot me. Life is more of an adventure than that.

To the original post: that PRS is hideous. I'm not a huge Strat guy, but as was stated earlier, the design is a classic. That said, I've always liked the PRS headstock :D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:30 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:56 am

I judge people more than I probably should, but I don't do that with music or movies. I've met people who's taste in things has surprised me, and occasionally gain common ground with someone I didn't think I'd be more chummy with. To each their own and all that, but the day I can judge everyone and everything accurately like that, someone please shoot me. Life is more of an adventure than that.
Hmm I find I have enough records to be buying without running down rabbitholes I know are fruitless. I pretty much avoid talking music with civilians, going way back, back as far as StevenO's high school. I let them talk about their 'vinyls' and their bands I know I won't like and leave them to it. I've friends that I love who I'd never take a musical recommendation from if we both lived for a thousand years but I'd hang on their words on many other subjects.

Music is my thing, I buy more than a record a day, so it's probably a waste of my time either taking tips from someone who is casual about it or who over time has demonstrated a tin ear to the sort of things I might like. This isn't rude or closed minded, merely experience. Of course there's a chance I've missed something but I spend a lot of time checking out new releases and at least lay eyes on most every record coming into the shops I use and I've been doing that for decades, so I've probably not missed much, though I do find I miss some digital only releases.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?