Martin 00-17s

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Martin 00-17s

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:01 am

Hi all, I've mentioned this guitar a couple of times here and haven't talked about it too much since I wasn't sure it was staying, and now I've decided that it has, but even if it hadn't maybe people would be interested in knowing about it anyway. Also it's been pointed out that we don't talk enough about acoustics on here, and I thought maybe we should a little more.

So, let's get the pictures out of the way:

The things plays great, now that the action has settled in. I love what Martin is calling the "Modified Low Oval" shape with the "High Performance Taper". Basically it's a round type neck with a shallow carve, and I gather the taper refers to the guitar's neck staying fairly narrow as it travels to the body. Whatever they call it, combined with the 1.75" nut and the short scale (24.9") it's among the most comfortable guitars I've ever played.

The sound of this guitar is what did it for me, though. I had never even heard of these until I played one in the store for like an hour. First of all, the sustain of the things is something to behold. That top will just keep ringing out on these, not sure if it's the 12th fret join (this is my first smaller acoustic) or what, but it rings out for a noticeably long time.

The dynamic range of the thing is pretty wonderful, also. It's basically a fingerpicking guitar, and you can use your fingers to coax a very nice range of usable sounds out of it, quiet to loud, and quickly. Like a piano, frankly.

The bass is very strong on it, like you might expect from a Martin, not flabby though. The highs are clear and present, that being said, the high range of this guitar isn't the most prominent part of the instrument's sound profile. Bear in mind I usually play it with only my fingers, though. With a pick the treble is more prominent, of course.

This guitar is also very loud. It's got that Martin sound I've been missing for a while, my old D1 is out of commission and while I have some great acoustics otherwise, Martins have a certain sound profile and I, uh, like it.

I got it used, barely, for $1200. I feel it's a great deal at that price. I'd recommend this guitar to people.

I did have to work on the action, though. I have it down to a fairly low setting, still not as low as my freakishly easy to play Taylor 410 nor where I have the Gibson Dove I got from Maggie dialed in at. But I'm a weirdo about low action and this would be probably insanely low to a lot of you- about 2.5mm at the 12th fret bass E string.

That being said, though, I was able to accomplish this by sanding the saddle down as low as it can realistically go. That wasn't all I had to do to it, but the scary thing is that I have no ability to further regulate the action at the saddle. If this guitar drifts over time, I am pretty much powerless to do anything about it short of a full neck reset that I can see. That's why I was considering sending it back.

But the sound of it won me over. I came home after class one night last week and was having my beer, tired, and I started playing this guitar absentmindedly while Mrs. Larry caught me up on the day. I began to notice this E-D-C progression I was playing on the A string, and I started focusing on how fucking great that sounded. I knew right then I wasn't going to let this guitar after that.

It's a winner. Anyone interested in this type of guitar, I'd recommend checking it out. I got it for $1200 barely used. You might notice that I already switched out the Golden Age tuners for my favorite Kluson Revolution locking tuners, but the stock tuners that came on it are wonderful tuners. If I didn't hate stringing guitars so much with standard type tuners, I would absolutely have kept those, as it is, I'll sell them on soon now that I'm going to keep the guitar.
Last edited by Larry Mal on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Martin 0017-s

Post by Maggieo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:37 am

Looks and sounds like it's great, Larry! Good score. You could do some amazing solo guitar orchestra stuff with it, the Dove and the Taylor all playing parts. I imagine they each have a sonic character that would be like a string section.

We'll have to compare notes when my Waterloo WL-12 gets here.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:46 am

Yeah, they are virtually the same guitars, as far as specs go, huh?

I was going to show you this video, but it's for a different Waterloo model.

Let us know how you get on with it! I don't know if I've ever actually seen a Waterloo in person. I think that this Martin I got is a direct response to Waterloo's success with things like this.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 am

Did you get your Waterloo in the sunburst looking finish or in the black?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 am
Did you get your Waterloo in the sunburst looking finish or in the black?
Sunburst! It's like this guy's, but I got mine from Dave's Guitars.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Can't argue with that! Looks beautiful. Be sure to let us know how you find it!

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 am

Looks great! I love that finish and 00 is my favorite body size -- it's the ideal guitar to have on your lap while having a conversation or doing something else and then pause to admire its tone.

Maggie -- tell us about the Waterloo when it arrives. These were the lightest acoustics I have ever held in my life, which is something that I personally find quite appealing. The necks were not much to my taste because I like them pencil-thin, but what an instrument. I am excited for you!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 am
Looks great! I love that finish and 00 is my favorite body size -- it's the ideal guitar to have on your lap while having a conversation or doing something else and then pause to admire its tone.

Maggie -- tell us about the Waterloo when it arrives. These were the lightest acoustics I have ever held in my life, which is something that I personally find quite appealing. The necks were not much to my taste because I like them pencil-thin, but what an instrument. I am excited for you!
I'll do an NGD thread, for certain. I'm excited because my friends who have tried them say they open up pretty quickly and each one takes on its own character withing a few years, instead of decades.

Speaking of necks, I got the WL-12 to supplement my 30's Regal, which has a neck on it bigger than my forearm. At last, I will be able to use a capo.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 am

Any chance you've played the Martin CEO-7? It's my holy grail guitar at the moment and in the same genre, I guess, as those Waterloos, which often get compared.
Local milk person

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:04 am

I did play the CEO-7, at the same time I discovered this model. It certainly is a beautiful guitar, and I remember liking the sound of it very much. I would say based on less than an hour's playing time a year ago that the CEO-7 had a slightly more subdued and refined sound to it than this one.

A couple of big differences between the two. The CEO-7 has a 14th fret join, also it has what Martin calls a "modified V" neck. Now, I am always leery of anything that calls itself a V neck, and I didn't find this to be uncomfortable or extreme in any way. Still, before I sunk that kind of money on one I'd want to spend more time with it. That's just me, though, you might get right along with it. It was a very nice playing guitar and didn't fatigue me like Vs can do, but I'll reckon I prefer the neck on this 00-17 though.

Also, the CEO-7 has a 14th fret join, so that'll change the sound pretty considerable and might account for it being a less powerful guitar as I recall. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the 12th fret join but let's just say I'm sold it in, that bridge being set back on the vibrating top can really drive the guitar.

Otherwise, it's a night and day difference between the two guitars' finishes, the CEO-7 is a beautiful gloss luster and the 00-17s looks barebones and simple, by design, but there you have it.

The CEO-7 has an Adirondack spruce top and mahogany back and sides, the 00-17s has a Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides, so I am sure Martin uses a higher grade spruce top and no doubt selects the overall better wood for the guitars, but the guitars are much more similar than different overall.

I'd buy a CEO-7, I'll say that. Expensive for me, but I certainly thought it was a great instrument.

loudwizard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loudwizard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:10 am

Nice! I have the cousins of a couple of guitars mentioned here - a Martin 000-15sm and a Waterloo WS-Deluxe.
Maggie, you're going to love the Waterloo. Such sweet little fingerpicking guitars.
Mine *definitely* started off much more open sounding than most acoustics, and has only become more so over the last year or so.

here's my little acoustic squad-

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:23 am

I mean that just looks like a fun scene right there.

loudwizard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loudwizard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 am

it's fun indeed! these guys have been a bit neglected lately - just playing a lot more electric.
I need to change some strings on these dudes and show 'em some love.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:04 am

I'd buy a CEO-7, I'll say that. Expensive for me, but I certainly thought it was a great instrument.
Thanks for the comparison, that's really helpful. I will have to check one of these out. The cost of the CEO-7 is the only reason I don't already have one.
Local milk person

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:24 am

My boss let me borrow his CEO-7, and I had to keep reminding myself that’s why they call it C-E-O !!! :?
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.