thin skin stratocasters?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

thin skin stratocasters?

Post by northernlights » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:56 am

Hey guys, have you ever used or had a thin skin strat? I have an interest in the 54 thin skin strat, but 2007 model. all i found is about 2012 models. I dont know these models are different from each other, same 54.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: thin skin stratocasters?

Post by sookwinder » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:09 am

Let me first say I have not played a thinskin strat from the year that you are discussing... but as someone who has 9 strats (vintage, custom shop and regular production) I really have to ask why the fascination with thinskin?

If it is because you can get a great deal on a strat that happens to be a thinskin, then great ... go for it.
If it is because you want a thinkshin so you can quickly wear down the finish and make it look old really quickly ... then ...well ... maybe .. go for it...
If it is in a colour that you must have and the only one you have seen in this colour is a thinskin ... then yeah go for it.

But from my experiences with strats of many types and eras, thinskin is just a gimmick that Fender pout out to sell more guitars.

More important factors are ..
what pickups?
is it a 2 or 6 point trem?
What type of trem?
what type of saddles?
what type of tremolo block?
what era ? old vintage 50s/60s/70s? new vintage 80s/90s?
what is the neck shape?

From what I recall the 54 thinskin will have the 6 point trem but have a modern C shaped neck profile rather than the V shape of the original 1954 model. It is mostly also fitted with custom shop pickups ... is this the one you are looking at?

Far from an actual 1954 spec strat ... more like a modern start which happens to have CS 1954 pups .
My 5 cents worth ...
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northernlights » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:18 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:09 am
Let me first say I have not played a thinskin strat from the year that you are discussing... but as someone who has 9 strats (vintage, custom shop and regular production) I really have to ask why the fascination with thinskin?

If it is because you can get a great deal on a strat that happens to be a thinskin, then great ... go for it.
If it is because you want a thinkshin so you can quickly wear down the finish and make it look old really quickly ... then ...well ... maybe .. go for it...
If it is in a colour that you must have and the only one you have seen in this colour is a thinskin ... then yeah go for it.

But from my experiences with strats of many types and eras, thinskin is just a gimmick that Fender pout out to sell more guitars.

what pickups?
What type of trem?
what type of saddles?
what is the neck shape?

From what I recall the 54 thinskin will have the 6 point trem but have a modern C shaped neck profile rather than the V shape of the original 1954 model. It is mostly also fitted with custom shop pickups ... is this the one you are looking at?

Far from an actual 1954 spec strat ... more like a modern start which happens to have CS 1954 pups .
My 5 cents worth ...
wow, slow down partner. i get a great deal on it. i was just wondering how good they are. i like chunky neck and 9.5 radius like my cs strats.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Nice guitars. I had a 61 ThinSkin strat that had a beefy neck on it. From what I understand they (WIldowood and Daves) varied the neck profiles between the models so not sure what the profile woudl be on a 54 version - "Baseball Bat" profile I would guess.

Anyway - mine was well built and sounded great (Fat 50's I think) had a nice rosewood board and I probably Should have kept it.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:39 pm

Also - I would call Daves guitars or WIldwood. They should have the specs since they commissioned the Thinskin FSR's

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 am

sookwinder wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:09 am

what pickups?
What type of trem?
what type of saddles?
what is the neck shape?

My 5 cents worth ...
TL;DR - why does anyone like anything at all ever?

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 am

I just looked up an old brochure for the 2007 thin skins, it lists the '59 Strats as having "Big C" necks but doesn't say for the '54. Of course all have 9.5" neck radius, 6105 frets, and custom shop pickups. I never tried one myself. Is it just a 2-tone sunburst?
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.