ES 335: Why?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

ES 335: Why?

Post by mediocreplayer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Disclaimer first: I am not a humbucker person.

There is a lot of talk about Gibson ES 3XX because of the current CME sale. What makes these guitars special? To me, when played clean, they sound muddy (admittedly, this is the main criteria by which I evaluate any guitar). When I think of electric guitars, I think of solid bodies with snappy-ish tone and hollow bodies with deeper, 'earthlier' tone. The 335 with the semi-hollow body seems to be neither -- and not in a good way. I find it to be the worst of both worlds. But then I see people describe them as the one-guitar-to-do-it-all and I scratch my head.

For example, here is Johnny Marr playing one. It sounds like a $50 plyboard acoustic guitar from Walmart.

I know we have some acolytes of this model on here, and the list of players of the guitar speaks for itself. It would be good to get some insights about why people like them. Is it because of the historical association? After all, Chuck Berry played one, so that sort of makes it the guitar that sort of helped birth rock and roll. I am trying to use this thread to convince myself not to buy one to figure out what the fuss is about, so negative opinions are also welcomed! :P

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ES 335: Why?

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Well, I would like one, probably less than I would want an ES-175, though. But I would approach it with the understanding that it was more or less going to do the humbucker thing with the ES format. I like ES guitars a lot- I have an ES-330, and it's just a very comfortable and inspiring shape.

If I had one, I would get some kind of humbuckers that would allow for a good amount of top end. I've heard tell of some ES-335s that sounded kind of muddy and indistinct, that being said, there's a lot of PAF type humbuckers out there on all makes of guitars I would say that about.

So I'd kind of view it more as a Les Paul type alternative in a more pleasing form factor than a jack of all trades. Frankly, I keep seeing forum types say that the ES-335 does it all also, and I have a hard time believing I could do without a Strat or Tele if I only had an ES-335, I'm with you on that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm

i only have one reason for owning an epi dot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1hmDpa8bo

edit: not that i can play that song...just that THAT tone blew me away the 1st I heard it.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm
Disclaimer first: I am not a humbucker person.

There is a lot of talk about Gibson ES 3XX because of the current CME sale. What makes these guitars special? To me, when played clean, they sound muddy (admittedly, this is the main criteria by which I evaluate any guitar). When I think of electric guitars, I think of solid bodies with snappy-ish tone and hollow bodies with deeper, 'earthlier' tone. The 335 with the semi-hollow body seems to be neither -- and not in a good way. I find it to be the worst of both worlds. But then I see people describe them as the one-guitar-to-do-it-all and I scratch my head.

For example, here is Johnny Marr playing one. It sounds like a $50 plyboard acoustic guitar from Walmart.

I know we have some acolytes of this model on here, and the list of players of the guitar speaks for itself. It would be good to get some insights about why people like them. Is it because of the historical association? After all, Chuck Berry played one, so that sort of makes it the guitar that sort of helped birth rock and roll. I am trying to use this thread to convince myself not to buy one to figure out what the fuss is about, so negative opinions are also welcomed! :P
Probably just not the guitar for you, and that's OK.

I find them to be the most versatile electric guitar ever made.

I do find myself using them less and less as the years go by, but... there's something special about a good one.

Your description does make me wonder if you've ever played a truly good one. A dot-neck 335 from '58-60 with a stop tailpiece and good patent-applied-for humbuckers might strike you differently.

Of course it would also strike you in your wallet to the tune of 30 fucking large or more, probably.

So there's that, of course. I played a '60 recently that was so good I was considering selling 10 or more guitars to buy it, but I chickened out.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I know what you mean about the muddy sound that semi hollows can have. I’ve played more than my share of 335 type guitars that sounded horrible. I remember going to a music store with my wife and playing a custom shop 335 or 345 through a nice tweed amp. My wife liked the sound of a couple of the other guitars I was checking out, but with this one asked he following question as I toggled through the pickup settings: “Does it have a setting that DOESN’T sound like shit?” :D
About a year back, I sat down with a Yamaha SA90 (kind of like their version of the ES-345) and, plugged into a Swart STR, this thing sounded heavenly. I tried a couple more guitars to make sure that it wasn’t just the amp. Nope! It sounded lively, warm, yet detailed.
I have yet to spend time with a Gibson semi that did it for me, but this could be because I avoid them because I’ve been underwhelmed so many times. I’m sure amazing ones are out there. Jim James from My Morning Jacket sure makes his sound cool!

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 pm

I hear what you are saying, but it may just be the humbuckers you don’t like.

I used to use guitars with buckers more when I was younger (Paul’s, sg’s, explorers and an old Guild semi with 60’s t tops), and I always ended up using gain with them and getting a classic rock sound. There wasn’t a huge variation in the sounds in the guitars. That’s why the last 10 years or so I’ve mostly played single coils.

Flash forward a few months ago and I purchased an older Epiphone Riviera with mini humbuckers. I’m totally in love with the sound of that guitar. It can’t do everything, but it’s brighter and clearer than normal humbuckers and sounds great clean. It’s really complimenting my JM and Tele. There isn’t a huge volume jump when switching between it and my JM, compared to my Paul, so it’s been really handy.

It’s like my Tele, I’d be comfortable playing it on pretty much anything.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:41 pm

A 335 style guitar with all the balls but none of the muddiness and bonus chime like a single coil....
I give you the 1960s Epiphone Riviera (with mini humbuckers)

relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 pm

I had a 335 for a while. It was my "I spent too much money on this" graduation gift to myself after university.

I hated it.

First. I'm not a humbucker person, either. It took me too many years to learn that. Pretty much the only time the guitar sounded good was for understated clean rhythm. And, I like jangle. If I want muddy understated, I'll use my Telecaster's neck pickup.

But the humbucker wasn't even what I hated the most. Much like the SG, the guitar is designed wrong. The neck is too far forward on the body, which makes it too easy to pull the guitar in and out of tune if you are playing with any, um... passion. Which made them both useless to me.

I got rid of my SG and my 335 last year after they hung from my wall for a decade, just getting dusty.
Last edited by sirspens on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:58 pm

FightingPlankton wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:07 pm
i only have one reason for owning an epi dot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1hmDpa8bo

edit: not that i can play that song...just that THAT tone blew me away the 1st I heard it.
So... I feel like that massive pedal board is more responsible for that tone than that guitar. A nice compressor, light chorus, a dose of reverb....

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm
I agree with a lot of what you posted, but not this.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:22 pm

sirspens wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:58 pm

So... I feel like that massive pedal board is more responsible for that tone than that guitar. A nice compressor, light chorus, a dose of reverb....
Alex lifeson in general, but that is the song that made me LOVE his tone/playing style. He used the same ES for almost every song for I think the 1st 3 albums.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:45 am

The pickups in the guitar have a lot to do with it.

I've gone on the record many times about my dislike of '57 Classics ... the pickup only works in SGs for some reason (where it sounds great), but in semi-hollows they sound muddy and woofy in the neck, though usually okay in the bridge (if a little lacking in character). Unfortunately these are sort of the 'standard' pickup that Gibson fits to ES335 type guitars - even the upscale high end models like the ES355.

I bought an ES335 earlier this year (traded against the SG Custom now). It was an exceptionally nice ES335 - a Nashville custom shop model from the late '90s. Played great and sounded great unplugged - but dead and lifeless thanks to the '57 classics when plugged in. I replaced the pickups with a set of Bareknuckle 'The Mule' humbuckers ... which are styled on earlier '60s PAFs. Immediately the guitar changed - the neck pickup was still full sounding, but the notes were clear and defined with a lot more treble overall. The bridge was just as full as the '57 classic, but with a lot more character to it. Instantly changed the guitar.

Old ES guitars are a different story - you can find ES335s fitted with PAFs that sound like Telecasters on steroids - they've got twang and bite to them in both the neck and bridge. I played a '59 ES345 that was just like this a few years ago in a store. Then you can find PAFs that sound like 'classic rock' without even trying - my '62 ES345 has a neck pickup that, if you turn the amp up, sounds like pretty much any classic rock song from the 1960s ... but each string is defined, and while the bass strings are powerful they don't mush together in a chord and become muddy - the top end is tight and full. It's a fantastic sounding humbucker and you can pretty much play anything just on that neck pickup.

Then you get PAFs that sound weak or underwound - these tend to be super bright and chimey. The bridge pickup on my ES345 is like this - unfortunately it's completely out of whack with the neck and so balance is an issue I'm constantly struggling with. It sounds more like a Jaguar than ... well ... a Jaguar.

Later '60s saw the Patent Number pickups. Earlier Pat Nos. are basically short magnet PAFs ... same construction, different sticker. These are usually in the same ball park as a 'decent' earlier PAF. Towards the end of the '60s you get into T-Top territory ... so called because of a stamping on the bobbin that aided pickup winders with their work. These pickups are very consistent - they tend to be around the 7k range and usually within a very consistent spectrum in sound.

Wait for it ... I'm going somewhere with this long rant!

That period is, for me, the golden era of ES guitars. Later '60s with either Patent Numbers or the start of the T-tops. These guitars are bright - a lot of people who like PAFs don't rate t-tops because they're seen as being a bit too consistent and perhaps lacking character - and being too bright. But in an ES guitar this means that every setting will be useful. The neck will sound full, but with top end sparkle in chords and never muddy. The bridge will be chimey and bright when clean, but will bite like hell when you drive the amp.

When people talk about an ES guitar being able to do anything, they often reference session guitar players like Larry Carlton. He used a few other guitars (I believe a Les Paul special as well), but he's mainly associated with an ES335. And as far as I recall that's a '67 or '68 ES335 ... so right from that period I'm talking about.

That's when an ES guitar is effectively 'one guitar for most jobs'.

I've owned (at a rough mental calculation) about 15 ES guitars - from ES330s, ES335s, ES345/355s ... from the '60s, '70s and modern era. I've only kept one humbucker ES - the ES345 I mentioned and one ES330 (a '62 as well as it happens). For my needs an ES330 is actually better - I prefer P90s, and a fully hollow guitar can be used like an acoustic at night when I don't want to wake anyone up. But the characteristics of a 'good' ES guitar for me are clear - bright, articulate pickups, lighter weight, resonant and loud unplugged and a big old baseball bat of a neck.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 am

I used to have an Epi Sheraton that I had to sell when I moved... Most comfortable guitar I've ever had, I think. I'm not tall, and I was a bit afraid the big body would be an issue, but everything seemed to fall in the right place. I played mainly my LP at that time, and the Sheraton felt so light and proportionned, it felt like it was trying to correct bad habits gotten from playing the LP. I agree humbuckers may not be the best fit, and mini-HBs would be the perfect pickups for it, though; the Riviera got it right from the start, that's why I tried to turn my Sheraton into one.
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:26 am

I don't think anybody has mentioned that they look really cool. But they do. Even if a lot of the famous musos who play them are not (at least to me). Johnny Marr, BB King and Dave Grohl being exceptions.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:46 am

After wanting one for quite a while, I just picked up a 333 that's been converted to 335 specs. Even though the humbuckers that are in it currently are upgrades, I'm still underwhelmed with their sound. I can't tell you how much I love playing that guitar, though!

The pickups that'll go in them will be custom drop-ins, somewhere in the P90/JM territory.
Much as I'd love to go with a set of dog-ear P90s :shifty:

It kinda looks like a set of dog-ear covers will work... but I'm not 100%. Anyone?
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.