Trade/GAS help! Talk me out of this...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
jeff m.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Trade/GAS help! Talk me out of this...

Post by jeff m. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 pm

The classic 'Train Station' clip of Sister Rosetta..Muddy Waters was on the same day..( you can just see a little bit of his Telecaster sitting on a chair to the right in that pic.. I think that was the iconic 'Red Tele' prior to its refinish.

As to what to do, Despot..if there is anything that I've (maybe) learned over the years of wheeling & dealing guitars..it's that some are just 'right'..a joy to play, every detail is perfect..make you happy to play & you look forward to picking 'em up & playing 'em because you KNOW it'll be a fun time.

Those ones are the ones I keep..anything that has a 'Hmm..not sure if I wouldn't move this on if something else came up'..those ones are fair game :)

Simple in theory..more difficult to do in practice. Same as everyone, I struggle with G.A.S, but some stuff just ain't for sale/trade at ANY price..sounds like you truly bond with the 335..keep it ! You'll find a way with the other one if you simply GOTTA have that SG !

Thank me anytime for my not-very-helpful contribution to your thread :) ..but seriously..have a good play on the 335, remind yourself of why you like what you like about it..& and remember, G.A.S does eventually pass ( pardon the pun :) ).

Good luck whatever you decide, Despot ! Always enjoy your posts here.
Best,
Jeff.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 pm

I'd totally do it. I have a massive soft spot for SG Customs....mostly the early small guard ones with the sideways trem, but a large guard white one is also a very pretty guitar.

I could never justify guitar duplication, so I'd swap the ES guitars in a heartbeat 8)
Resident Spartan.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 am

Thanks folks.

Lots to mull over. I took the ES335 out of the case last night and it's a beauty ... lovely neck, fantastic pickups ... I was happy playing it for a good half an hour.

Then I took out the ES345 (the old/battered '62). It's just better. It's not that the ES335 isn't a great guitar - it is. It's just that as good as the 335 is, the 345 is just better in every regard. It's a exceptional even as an old ES guitar (I've played a few).

I'm leaning towards trade here.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 am

I found myself wanting to actually see all the guitars you mention :) the sg you want and both the ES's in danger. Any pics or old threads?

I agree with you on being hard to justify multiple HB ES's... so I think I vote for the trade.
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:20 am

Unfortunately I don't have any pics - the old threads were pre the Photobucket suicide pact that saw all of my old photos getting locked out unless I decided to pay them more than I pay my ISP per year!

I will take some photos at the weekend when I get time - either to confirm why I didn't go through with the trade or else just to document them (I tend to take a lot of photos of guitars that I trade or let go ... just to have a record of them for the future).

Actually ... at some stage I should actually do a thread on all the guitars that have come and gone over the years.

I called around to the store yesterday to chat to the owner about the SG - we're tentatively feeling out a trade deal, but it could still come to nothing. There are a few other people circling around this guitar too, so it's looking unlikely that this will happen. Just to torture myself I played both last night. And yeah ... both are excellent guitars. I remember now how I managed to justify having these as well as the ES345 (they're great). There was also this childish thing about wanting to have one of each model for a while (ES330, ES335, ES345 and ES355).

Actually ... if this trade does come off, I'll need to do a family photo before it happens.

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:11 am

Since you already have your ES with the '62 345, and then I think the CS335 and 355 are a bit redundant, I'd say: go for it.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm

I'd trade either, or both those new ES' for a vintage guitar.

I know I'm not helping talking you out of it, but new guitars come and go, but great older ones don't, so I say go for it Kev.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:48 am

So I'm waiting to hear whether or not my trade offer works out - I believe there's at least one other person circling this like a vulture. Interestingly, in the meantime a '69 Standard has appeared for sale at a reasonable price elsewhere ... so no SG for ages, then two at once!

I'm still more interested in the Custom though - let's see what happens tomorrow when I'll know the outcome of all these trade discussions and shenanigans.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:45 am

Isn't GAS a funny thing? I remember trading several cheap guitars including a wonderful Epiphone Dot Studio in Arctic White for a Custom Shop 330L. The other several guitars were all things I'd bought because of how great they looked, almost completely independent of whether they sounded any good or played especially well. One Mexican tele was especially bad and I only bought it originally because I liked the Midnight Blue colour.

I loved that white Dot and took it to all sorts of gigs. Think I paid under £200 for it brand new.

Then that Custom 330. That played really well but came at a time I just wasn't playing out at all. I never quite knew why I wanted it and traded several guitars I really liked to be able to get it.

Then a couple of years ago I sold it and bought a USA standard Strat which I was forced into buying (family clubbed together and put down a deposit for my 30th birthday and the shop knew it - theu made me pay absolute top dollar for it when I picked it up, I'm ashamed to even say how much on here...). I don't even like it that much, I don't like small headstock strats or the spaghetti logo, though the body and pickups are good and the neck does feel nice, luckily. I will lose half what I paid if I try and move it on, I reckon.

So here's the kicker. I'm playing more than I ever have at the moment - every weekend and for a couple of hours at a time. But this has also coincided with me getting older. I'm not sure if there's a correlation between the two but I definitely will not put up with fighting a crappy guitar for 2 hours a night just because it looks cool. That strat comes out with me all the time, now.

I got out my old Les Paul Studio the other day, too. I absolutely ripped it up with that thing as soon as I got it out of the case. An awesome guitar. It looks tiny on me because I'm 6'2 (and now I'm in my thirties I need to remember to stop eating as much!) but I've got to get it back into rotation as it's just SO comfortable and being 25 years old it's matured beautifully. If I ever sell it on, unless it's trading up to a better Les Paul, I'm frankly an idiot.

I guess what I'm saying is, I've had probably 30 guitars in 20 years of playing, maybe more. An absolutely perfect one comes along twice in 30 for me. Think VERY carefully before letting a good one go but don't allow yourself to regret missing one either (there's a 66 Jazzmaster I still think about 4 years after I tried it... :'( )

Good luck with whatever you decide!

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HH1978 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:12 am

And finally, what was the outcome? Did you make the trade?

HH1978
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HH1978 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 am

Oops sorry! I just noticed the other thread. Congrats!