New-ish guitar day (Fender Bullet)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New-ish guitar day (Fender Bullet)

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:29 am

These sure are fun guitars to play. This one plays very well, although the neck is not as wide at the nut as a previous one I had was.

They sound great, actually. It's a thin sound- they use Mustang pickups after all- but that is a strength here and not a weakness. Good recording guitars that can sit well with other instruments.

Of course I've Larry'd it up, I already took it apart and put in full shielding everywhere. This would have been a quiet guitar anyway with the metal pickguard- which incidentally just pulls all out, there's nothing else for it to be grounded to so it's grounded to itself. I had thought that putting in a bunch of copper shielding might create a ground loop, but it didn't. It's pretty quiet for a Fender single coil at this point.

I had to put a couple of washers in the neck, and so far the neck still isn't flat. That's probably what the situation will be, it's got what most people would consider to be nice relief, I always want my necks to be totally flat though if I can get it. I don't think I'll get it on this guitar, so it'll be what it'll be.

Very likely that there is a need for some fret leveling. I might actually get around to learning that process myself on this guitar.

The Bullet is shown above next to my much loved Sonex, which is also getting some needed attention.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New-ish guitar day (Fender Bullet)

Post by MechaBulletBill » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 am

You've had a few of these over the years, haven't you? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I'm with you on flat necks, can't stand what most think of as "enough" relief.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New-ish guitar day (Fender Bullet)

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 am

This is my third. I had a first generation one that I just loved, but the truss rod was bad on it and it had to be returned.

I had a second one, I think an '82, it was great and had a single hum bucker in the bridge position that did not sound good. Still, it was a lot of fun to play.

That had to be sold for some bill or another. I always intended to get a third, and here it is. This will probably be a keeper, or at least the end of my Bullet needs.

This might end up being my open C tuning electric or something.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.