Incoming NGD - G&L Tribute Fallout

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Incoming NGD - G&L Tribute Fallout

Post by mkt3000 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 am

When I moved to the mainland US, I sold all of my gear. I wanted to make the move as quick and painless as possible. A few weeks after arriving, I bought a Fender Sonoran acoustic from a pawn shop, and I've been using it to mess around. But lately, I've been craving an electric, since I've been without one for over two years now.

Well, after talking about it for a few weeks with my fiancee, and knowing full well that whatever piece of gear I buy, there will be a handbag tax to pay, I decided to give myself a $300 budget.

Well for $240 shipped, i just bought the cheapest G&L Tribute Fallout I could find on reverb or ebay that wasn't in black. Listing says it's in good shape, except for one paint chip, which looks small enough to easily touch up.

And now, pics!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD - G&L Tribute Fallout

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:13 am

Have only played the US models. They're fantastic. Simple set up, so I imagine the asian counterparts wouldn't be too far off. The asian G&Ls tend to be a lot heavier than the US models for some reason. Not sure if that's the same for the Fallout models.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:29 am

No brainer at that price. Let us know how you get on with it!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mkt3000 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 am

BoringPostcards wrote:Have only played the US models. They're fantastic. Simple set up, so I imagine the asian counterparts wouldn't be too far off. The asian G&Ls tend to be a lot heavier than the US models for some reason. Not sure if that's the same for the Fallout models.
I've had three asian G&L's before - a Legacy, an ASAT Special, and an S-500. The dealer back home sold a TON of Tributes, and only a handful of USA ones, so I'd pick them up for cheap on the second hand market.

No complaints whatsoever about the quality, and yes - they weigh a TON.

One of my favorite bridge pickups of all time is the MFD Tele bridge pickup from the ASAT. I had a pair of MIM teles i'd gig with, and they both had the G&L pickups on he bridge.
Larry Mal wrote:No brainer at that price. Let us know how you get on with it!
Thanks! That was my thought exactly. I figure that if I don't get along with it, I should be able to get my money back selling it forward, or even do a swap for a Squier Jazzy down the road.

mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mkt3000 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Well, it arrived during the weekend while I was out of town visiting family in Puerto Rico and helping them prepare for Hurricane Irma. I picked it up today and played it unplugged for a few minutes. it is a VERY comfortable guitar to play, the neck is by far the best on any G&L Tribute guitar I've ever owned or held.

And then I packed it up and threw it in my car, because my neighborhood in Miami was ordered to evacuate.

So the G&L and I will get a lot of playing time over the next few days - most of it unplugged, but I'm sure i'll have a minute to plug it in and try my Hotone amp through some headphones.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Happy NGD and stay safe.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:17 pm

mkt3000 wrote:Well, it arrived during the weekend while I was out of town visiting family in Puerto Rico and helping them prepare for Hurricane Irma. I picked it up today and played it unplugged for a few minutes. it is a VERY comfortable guitar to play, the neck is by far the best on any G&L Tribute guitar I've ever owned or held.

And then I packed it up and threw it in my car, because my neighborhood in Miami was ordered to evacuate.

So the G&L and I will get a lot of playing time over the next few days - most of it unplugged, but I'm sure i'll have a minute to plug it in and try my Hotone amp through some headphones.
How heavy would you say it is? I've been interested in Fallouts ever since they came out, but reading they weigh "a ton" makes me wonder whether it's worth to go look for one.

mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mkt3000 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 am

Finally got a change to plug it in.... sort of. Hotone Vox copy through headphones.

Anyway, this guitar has some REALLY nice sounds. The split humbucker + P90 sounds almost gretschy, while the split P90 on its own has a bit of quack. The humbucker is quite smooth, and the P90... well, it's just delicious.

This guitar seriously punches above its weight and then some. A steal at what I paid for it, chipped finish and all. But I'm gonna try to touch it up anyway.

And now pics (at my sister and her husband's house)

thenewromance wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:Well, it arrived during the weekend while I was out of town visiting family in Puerto Rico and helping them prepare for Hurricane Irma. I picked it up today and played it unplugged for a few minutes. it is a VERY comfortable guitar to play, the neck is by far the best on any G&L Tribute guitar I've ever owned or held.

How heavy would you say it is? I've been interested in Fallouts ever since they came out, but reading they weigh "a ton" makes me wonder whether it's worth to go look for one.
I'm not at my house right now due to evacuation so no scale, however, it's comparable to my old MIJ MG66.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Thank you! That doesn't sound too heavy. I wish you all the best for the coming days!

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 am

Addendum: A great offer came up for a Sonic Blue one. I sprang! I hope to get a NGD post with a picture up, but regarding weight, let me share the following Information. The guitar itself is very light, especially the body. The whole Instrument weighs in at around 3,3 kg (~7.3 lbs apparently). This is my lightest electric guitar. However, due to the top horn being shorter than a Strat horn and due to a really substantial neck, the balance is not optimal, which makes it feel somewhat heavier on the strap. :bored:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 pm

thenewromance wrote:Addendum: A great offer came up for a Sonic Blue one. I sprang! I hope to get a NGD post with a picture up, but regarding weight, let me share the following Information. The guitar itself is very light, especially the body. The whole Instrument weighs in at around 3,3 kg (~7.3 lbs apparently). This is my lightest electric guitar. However, due to the top horn being shorter than a Strat horn and due to a really substantial neck, the balance is not optimal, which makes it feel somewhat heavier on the strap.
Uh oh...what does this mean for the "handbag tax"? ;)
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

mkt3000
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mkt3000 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:50 pm

mbene085 wrote:
thenewromance wrote:Addendum: A great offer came up for a Sonic Blue one. I sprang! I hope to get a NGD post with a picture up, but regarding weight, let me share the following Information. The guitar itself is very light, especially the body. The whole Instrument weighs in at around 3,3 kg (~7.3 lbs apparently). This is my lightest electric guitar. However, due to the top horn being shorter than a Strat horn and due to a really substantial neck, the balance is not optimal, which makes it feel somewhat heavier on the strap.
Uh oh...what does this mean for the "handbag tax"?
Handbag tax was my issue, lol.

It's being used to send batteries, battery powered fans, and vegeterian non perishable food for my fiancee who's in Puerto Rico with her family after hurricane Maria.

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:01 pm

;D We don't have handbag tax here in Europe. Good luck to you with the hurricane ramifications, mkt! I hope your family (and the whole Caribbean, sorta) comes out fine.