Telecaster custom 72 and Telecaster hh projects on the go -

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Chiediazanna
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Telecaster custom 72 and Telecaster hh projects on the go -

Post by Chiediazanna » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:47 am

Hi good people, as I said in this topic viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104730
I have a couple of open non offset projects. After abandoning the idea of digging SGs I'm back to one of my first love, the telly in her barely traditional 72 version.
Image Image Image Image

Callaham bridge, Callaham saddles, electrosocket jack, SH-2N covered (zebra below), jb-trembucker (is way hot, I'm not used but with the right distance, I think is dynamic). Body made by a liuthier in Trento: one piece of lightweighted timber. Guitar is neck heavy but is really solid, sturdy in your hands.

I swapped this Chris Schiflett inspired tele with a white 60s tribute Sg. The guy gaved me a guitar and a FRWR loaded Fender Deluxe black aged pickguard. At home I have some parts: a rock solid and heavy American Standard Stratocaster neck 1991 (unplayed) and a ash Guitarbuild.co.uk Tele 72 body, laying. So I decided to make out a "modern" 72 with a real strat neck and a "(nice try)vintage correct" Tele Custom 72. The original neck (with decal, i dunno anything about it, is kinda thick and feather weighted) is now on the black one. Both guitars are thin nitro finisched with no clear coat, instant relicing.

The Black 72 I'm pulling together now with quality hardware (except for the tuning keys: decent) .
Image Image
So now I have two 72 typed guitar, one to keep (first) and one to let go: the black one, asking 500 €.

Question is: with 500 pots and those dark sounding Wide Range pickups which capacitors will help me to make it sound "not so dark"? I know you guys experienced thousand combinations, gimme your withness.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Telecaster custom 72 and Telecaster hh projects on the g

Post by garyfanclub » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 am

Why not just ditch the 500k pots and go with 1meg pots? I'm pretty sure that's what the 70's models came with.

Chiediazanna
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chiediazanna » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:23 am

garyfanclub wrote:Why not just ditch the 500k pots and go with 1meg pots? I'm pretty sure that's what the 70's models came with.
Hi, just because here in Italy throught AllPartsItalia I can't find solid shaft cts 1meg, 500k only
Could be decent with 500k too? I'm not that picky
Also, If I know well, Fender reissue WR humbuckers are way different from the originals, they are humbuckers under a bigger covers...

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 am

Chiediazanna wrote:
garyfanclub wrote:Why not just ditch the 500k pots and go with 1meg pots? I'm pretty sure that's what the 70's models came with.
Hi, just because here in Italy throught AllPartsItalia I can't find solid shaft cts 1meg, 500k only
Also, If I know well, Fender reissue WR humbuckers are way different from the originals, they are humbuckers under a bigger covers...
Ah gotcha, didn't know you're overseas. From what I've read, any pots with a value of 250k (which the stock are) will help open up the sound significantly. Can't speak to what value of capacitors will impact the tone, so I'm useless on that front.

Chiediazanna
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chiediazanna » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 pm

garyfanclub wrote:
Chiediazanna wrote:
Ah gotcha, didn't know you're overseas. From what I've read, any pots with a value of 250k (which the stock are) will help open up the sound significantly. Can't speak to what value of capacitors will impact the tone, so I'm useless on that front.
Totally. I'll go this week with 500 and capacitors took from a Gibson sg, Let's face how it is

Chiediazanna
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Telecaster custom 72 and Telecaster hh projects on the go -

Post by Chiediazanna » Fri May 25, 2018 8:22 am

So, this Tele Deluxe partcaster is now like this:

- Wide Range pickups upgraded by Jess Loureiro with original specs. Originally took froma a MIM Telly

- Body made by unknown italian liuthier. It passed several owners. Not my favourite sunburs but really light. I love light telecasters. Callham bridge. Cts 500k and switchcraft electronics.

- Unknown neck, pretty good one. Shame it has a screenprinted decal so I can't put this on Reverb.com

I'm considering selling it... Nothing wrong with it but even with those great pickups I haven't fell in love with it.
We still get to know.