Mono Cases and flying

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mono Cases and flying

Post by mijmog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:30 am

Just looking at the range of cases offered by Mono, never heard of them before until I got a recommendation recently. They look like an amazing alternative to heavy bulky flight cases, plus being well designed and ethical.

https://monocreators.com/guitarist/

My friend told me they can go in the hold of a plane, but looking at the site it doesn't appear they can. They appear to be a great design, offering protection from shocks, and extra support around the headstock, but they're still a soft case and could get crushed.

Has anyone put one in a hold at all?

Cheers.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mono Cases and flying

Post by Despot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:14 am

There are two different type/style of case offered by Mono.

The 'sleave' is basically a perfected gig bag. There are no walls to the case and it's just a better designed and better protected version of ye-olde gig bag. I absolutely wouldn't put one of those in an aircraft hold. Ever. They're great for their intended purpose - carting a guitar around on public transport or in the back of your car.

The 'case' is different - there are also two versions. The original M80 case has their first version of the 'headlock' system, which is basically a cushioned pillow that has a velcro strap that secures the neck. The case itself is a bit more rigid than the gig bag. It has walls that are stiff (I imagine some sort of rigid foam) as well as a back/front that are stiff (same material I think). The guitar in the M80 will be relatively well protected, but I'm not sure it would survive a crush if something fell onto it or it was stacked at the bottom of the hold. I absolutely would not trust a set neck/Gibson guitar in one - ever - in the hold of a plane. I'd be dubious about putting a Fender in one ... but it's probably more likely to survive.

The newest version of their case is the Vertigo - the headlock system is a lot better (in that it truly does lock the neck in position and provides a good degree of protection). The case also has walls like the M80, as well as a very well protected boot type thing at the bottom to protect from vertical drops. I still wouldn't trust a set neck/Gibson in one of those going in the hold - but of any of their cases I suspect the Vertigo would be the best if you were going to use one of these with a Fender.

I don't think any of these cases would protect against something heavy being dropped onto it - but then the same can be said of a standard hard case in most instances. If you want an absolute guarantee then you'd have to go the heavy flight case route.

For me, here's what I'd actually do.

Vertigo Sleave - Never in the hold, with anything.
M80 Case - No Gibson in the hold - maybe a Fender if it's placed in at the door and collected at the plane door on landing.
Vertigo Case - No Gibson in the hold - maybe a Fender going in the hold at baggage check and out the other end.

I wouldn't trust any of them with vintage.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:39 am

Thanks for that Despot, appreciate it.

Thats the impression I got too, a great case but not an alternative to an ATA rated hard case, I suppose I knew the answer to my question but just wanted reassurance. They don't have any kind of hard shell inside that would be protect from crushing from above.

I emailed Mono and got this response:
Mono wrote:Thank you for reaching out. About air travel: Most of our cases can be brought on board an airplane and will fit in the overhead compartment. Taking your MONO case on board as a carry-on is the best way to travel with your guitar.

If the plane is so small (only one aisle, for example) that the overhead compartments are too small or too full, we would recommend bringing the case with you up to the gate. At the gate, if required, you could "gate check" your guitar, so it's one of the last items loaded onto the plane. This approach would be safer than checking the case at the curb from where it has to make the long and unpredictable journey to the plane.

Please note that we cannot guarantee the safety of your guitar if you check your bag due to the inability to control the unpredictability of baggage handling around the world.

That all being said, we are incredibly proud of the feedback we hear from our heavily touring customers who use MONO cases anytime they have to fly.
They advise to wait until the hold luggage has been loaded in so your case is on top, I've never been able to do that on a flight out of the UK.

I might get one anyway as they look like a great alternative to a bulky case for general travel. My Firebird's cases are so heavy its crazy, travelling on public transport is just a nightmare, I've put up with it for so long its time for a change. My arm and hand are usually in agony by the time I've got to the point where I can begin playing!

rkharper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rkharper » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:08 am

I would totally trust a Mono Vertigo, in any case, I'd prefer it over a HSC, just sayin:

https://youtu.be/09G29jjQGV8?t=6m50s

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:19 am

The thing is that if you're using a firebird it suffers from the same Gibson issue as every other Gibson - there's not a lot of wood there around the truss rod cut out, and it doesn't take much to snap that off.

I've seen ES335s packed perfectly, case-in-box with loads of crush material and shock absorbing material packed all around them ... and then you open the case and find the headstock break. I'd imagine the firebird is the same. Is it possible to put a Vertigo case in the hold and 80% be okay? Yep. Might it still get a broken headstock anyway? Yep.

The best option is to door check the guitar - try being the last or latest to board when you hand it over at the door of the plane ... that's going to give it a top rather than bottom spot. Some airlines might even do you the solid of putting it in the coat locker/air crew space, if they have space. I took my old '76 ES355 over to Zurich that way with Aer Lingus - they were kind enough to pack it in the cabin and then give it back to me on arrival.

The key thing is that you can't guarantee things like courtesy. You've got to prepare for the worst case scenario (which if you're trying to carry on a guitar is going to be getting told it's got to be gate checked in the hold). I'd personnally trust a Fender in a Vertigo case in the hold without being too worried - but not a Gibson. I'm just too dubious about neck breaks.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 am

Unless you're going to take it on the plane as carry-on, I wouldn't trust any gig bag, not even Mono or Case-it which has been the toughest bags I've seen.
If it has to go in the cargo hold, get yourself a real case, no matter how heavy or bulky it might be.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Despot wrote:The thing is that if you're using a firebird it suffers from the same Gibson issue as every other Gibson - there's not a lot of wood there around the truss rod cut out, and it doesn't take much to snap that off.

I've seen ES335s packed perfectly, case-in-box with loads of crush material and shock absorbing material packed all around them ... and then you open the case and find the headstock break. I'd imagine the firebird is the same. Is it possible to put a Vertigo case in the hold and 80% be okay? Yep. Might it still get a broken headstock anyway? Yep.

The best option is to door check the guitar - try being the last or latest to board when you hand it over at the door of the plane ... that's going to give it a top rather than bottom spot. Some airlines might even do you the solid of putting it in the coat locker/air crew space, if they have space. I took my old '76 ES355 over to Zurich that way with Aer Lingus - they were kind enough to pack it in the cabin and then give it back to me on arrival.

The key thing is that you can't guarantee things like courtesy. You've got to prepare for the worst case scenario (which if you're trying to carry on a guitar is going to be getting told it's got to be gate checked in the hold). I'd personnally trust a Fender in a Vertigo case in the hold without being too worried - but not a Gibson. I'm just too dubious about neck breaks.
I've transported my '67 Firebird on lots of planes in its massive case and its been completely fine, its just the size and weight. I'm going to get a Mono case at some point though, just for travelling round the UK by train or for extra protection in the van. With the Firebird being long and an odd shape the flight cases end up being those keyboard cases with a custom cut outs.

I'm going to start using a Tele in a decent lightweight ABS style SKB case I think.

I've got 4 flights in a week, worst case scenario is the best scenario to plan for I agree. I'm just desperate for an alternative. I hope Mono develop some sort of futuristic kevlar cacoon that doubles as both gig bag and flight case in one go. In my dreams...
fortytwo wrote:Unless you're going to take it on the plane as carry-on, I wouldn't trust any gig bag, not even Mono or Case-it which has been the toughest bags I've seen.
If it has to go in the cargo hold, get yourself a real case, no matter how heavy or bulky it might be.
I've never been able to take a guitar on a plane as carry on, I don't know how people do this to be honest. The overhead lockers always have dividers which stops anything long going in? I've rung up airlines in the past and they've categorically said no to stowing it in the cabin for me too, so I don't know how people do it.

I've got a real flight case already, had it for the last 6 years. Its nearly 4 foot long and 2 foot wide and weighs nearly as much as I do, not easy to carry about. When you have to do a lot of transfers and a lot of stuff on foot it really takes the fun out of it. I'm going to look into SKB cases.
Last edited by mijmog on Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:16 pm

You're in the UK, the home of HIscox cases.

I'd trust one of those as checked baggage anywhere, without hesitation. Aside from the design, strength and protection they're very, very light.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:36 am

How small of planes are you flying, mate? I'm one of those whose flying all the time with a Tele or Jaguar in a gig bag; from Airbus a380s down to a DHC-8-103 recently. Only twice was it ever close with the Jag; the Tele never had a problem. Though, the Jag would have been pretty darn close if not making it on that DHC-8-103.

You find the problem to be length? Could you squeeze it behind where the barriers are?
Jesus

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:14 am

andy_tchp wrote:You're in the UK, the home of HIscox cases.

I'd trust one of those as checked baggage anywhere, without hesitation. Aside from the design, strength and protection they're very, very light.
Ahh yes thats what they are called, I completely forgot the name thats the case I want. They don't do one for a reverse Firebird but it'll do for a bolt-on Fender. Thanks.
thisisnickpaige wrote:How small of planes are you flying, mate? I'm one of those whose flying all the time with a Tele or Jaguar in a gig bag; from Airbus a380s down to a DHC-8-103 recently. Only twice was it ever close with the Jag; the Tele never had a problem. Though, the Jag would have been pretty darn close if not making it on that DHC-8-103.

You find the problem to be length? Could you squeeze it behind where the barriers are?
Errrrmm mainly the ones with two engines, don't know what they're called, probably Airbuses, next flight will be a 747.

There's restrictions on the dimensions of hand luggage, a guitar won't go in.

I can't fit my Firebird in its standard case in an overhead locker once everyone else has stuffed their luggage in there, it is long. It won't go in a gig bag as its too fragile, I've already broken it once. Its bad enough on trains, there's barely space. Maybe a Jag or Tele in a gig bag is fine in an overhead locker, I don't know I've never tried it.

I've rang up airlines in the past and asked what the chances of taking it into the cabin and they've always said flatly NO.

I flew to Bergen from the UK a while back and I couldn't take my guitar onboard then. Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. But as Despot said, you've got to plan for the worst case scenario.

The answer is probably one of the following:

- keep on and man up with the heavy flight case, put it in the hold as I've always done
- buy a bolt-on neck Fender style guitar and get a lighter Hiscox hard case so it makes inter-airport travel easier
- try and force the issue and ask nicely and get a Mono case and take it onboard

The main aim of this thread was to find out if the Mono cases were sturdy enough to take weight from all angles, since I've found out thats not the case then its back to looking for a lighter hard case, or buy another guitar that doesn't need its own bomb shelter with it.

There's definitely a gap in the market for some sort of super light kevlar space age guitar cacoon.

mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mgeek » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 am

When I've had to fly a guitar to use in America I've just taken something cheap with a bolt on neck, unbolted it and stuffed it into my suitcase with all the pants and socks, and a soft case. Never had any issues.

Not ideal if you want to be using a groovy looking set neck, but it sidesteps a lot of the issues of travelling with a guitar.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:46 am

mgeek wrote:When I've had to fly a guitar to use in America I've just taken something cheap with a bolt on neck, unbolted it and stuffed it into my suitcase with all the pants and socks, and a soft case. Never had any issues.

Not ideal if you want to be using a groovy looking set neck, but it sidesteps a lot of the issues of travelling with a guitar.
Yeah I used to do that with my Telecaster, like you said just stuffed it in the case. Although you need a hold bag to put the screwdriver in, or buy one when you get there...

I used to not want to risk my Firebird, but then thought whats the point of it sitting there not being used? Now the risk is greater as the sentimental value slowly increases.

Fenders and other bolt-ons are more suited to modern flying I suppose.

I can imagine threaded neck inserts would be the friend of a frequent Fender flyer?

thisisnickpaige
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thisisnickpaige » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:09 am

Ahh yeah, i forgot about the whole Firebird thing. That guitar is quite fragile, and quite long if i recall. I get the whole, " why do i have this if i don't use this?" I guess, like you said, the only option is a light hardshell case. Monos are great cases but still soft to some extent.

Yeah, don't bother asking flight companies, i ask other passengers, " Hey, do you mind putting your backpack here to protect my guitar? ", and try to board near to first to play ring leader. Most people don't care, or are willing to help.

I've never seen threaded neck inserts before, that's a brilliant idea if you are going to be constantly bolting and unbolting. I have also put a bolt on neck guitar in a gig bag, unbolted, then folded the neck over the body to fit as a carry on. But then we are again talking about bolt on, and not a firebird.
Jesus

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:59 am

mijmog wrote:
fortytwo wrote:Unless you're going to take it on the plane as carry-on, I wouldn't trust any gig bag, not even Mono or Case-it which has been the toughest bags I've seen.
I've never been able to take a guitar on a plane as carry on, I don't know how people do this to be honest. The overhead lockers always have dividers which stops anything long going in? I've rung up airlines in the past and they've categorically said no to stowing it in the cabin for me too, so I don't know how people do it.

I've got a real flight case already, had it for the last 6 years. Its nearly 4 foot long and 2 foot wide and weighs nearly as much as I do, not easy to carry about. When you have to do a lot of transfers and a lot of stuff on foot it really takes the fun out of it. I'm going to look into SKB cases.
If you can't fit in to the overhead, there's usually some sort of closet space for jackets in business, that you can get your guitar in if you ask the crew nicely.

I've been on tour with Fenders just being checked in in the G&C case, they work just fine.
I've had SKB cases, cheap G&C knock-offs, Hiscox cases and TKL cases on flights, and they have all worked. But yeah, the better the case, the less likely it is to break.
Just make sure to tape up all the locks and latches.