Gibson SG necks

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Gibson SG necks

Post by Groovy Tunes » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Why do Gibson SGs play so differently from other guitars? The nut seems to be really far away to me, but the scale is shorter than the Telecaster that I am used to playing. The necks also seem to be really long compared to a ES-335 and Les Paul of the same Scale length. SGs are odd also in that some of the early 60s have baseball bat necks and in the mid 60s their necks feel similar to a classic 'Fender C' and most modern ones are skinny thin shred boards. So is it just me, or do SGs play a little awkward like that?

But they sound better than fire breathing dragons!

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gibson SG necks

Post by Despot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 pm

I think the reason for SGs feeling a little different is the neck join - in particular, where it joins. ES335s have their join at the 19th fret. SGs join is at the end of the neck - well, it usually mates into an extended heel section that's proud of the body ... but it feels like the neck join is at the end of the neck because of the shape/contour of the horns.

This probably makes the neck feel about an inch 'longer' than something like an ES335, and probably longer again than a Telecaster or Les Paul.

I don't really have a problem with this - it takes me a second or two to 'remember' where my left hand should be relatively to the notes I want to play when playing an SG, but that's it. I have to do the same thing with lots of different guitars ... I guess it's what they'd call the different 'feel' of a guitar.

I have a bigger problem with the skinny SG necks than I do with the 'length' of the neck. Not skinny/narrow nuts (as you'd get post '65) ... but the blade thin neck profiles that you sometimes see both on old ones and reissues. Most of the ones I've played and loved have been from the late '60s when the neck profile thickened out quite a bit from the earlier ones (or the modern reissues).

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:55 am

Despot nailed it, I think. The neck join definitely has something to do with because I get a similar feeling with my Ric 620.

SGs are the most comfortable guitar for me to play standing up (I've fortunately never had one suffer from headstock dive, though). There's something about where the neck and bridge are in relation to the strap and my shoulders and arms, etc.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:04 am

What they said. The result of the neck join is that the bridge, also, is shifted "up" on the body as well. So the whole scale length is "shifted" toward the fretting hand. It takes some getting used to but it really does make for excellent high-fret access (if at the expense of low fret reachability).
- Mitch

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:48 am

NR Firebirds are the same, and as Despot said, its all about the neck join, going one from of them to an ES330 (where the neck joins at the 16th fret on the early ones) is really weird and takes a couple of brain freak outs before you realise where you are.

I agree with InLimbo too, there's something about the SG when played stood up that feels perfect. Everything is in the right place.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:56 am

Two different neck heels to consider here. The original 61 was all the way at the body (which I prefer actually due to the maximum comfortable fret access), but there's also the late 60s heel which is quite a bit further from the body, usually always accompanied by a fat baseball bat neck and usually also the hideous batwing guard. Gibson seems to switch from one heel style to another from year to year.
My 2013 Standard has the 61 specs and slim skinny profile. I think the '14s had the original heel as well. Not sure about '15 and '16, but the '17 models are gone back to the late 60s heel and thicker neck. Not a fan at all.
I've played many over the years and have never liked the baseball bat necks with the late 60s heel. Creates too much neck dive and the fat profile is unnecessarily fat.
Not quite 50s Les Paul fat, but very close. Not the right neck for such a light bodied guitar.

It does feel like the nut is far away at first. Just comes down to where the strap pin is located I think.
Similar feel going from a Tele or Strat to a Jazzmaster. Neck feels longer than it actually is.

I was back and forth with SG GAS for well over 10 years and in 2013 I finally caved and got one. No regrets.
I want to get another eventually, but I don't know if it's necessary, because I don't like the late 60s heel and batwing guard, can't stand the middle humbucker on the SG Custom nor do I like the SG Supreme with no guard, carved top and outrageous flame tops, so that rules them out.
I'll probably try to get a SG Jr or maybe go all out batshit crazy and get a Historic w/ Maestro.

I'm gushing now. I have to go play it.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.