Supro reissues - anyone any experience?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Supro reissues - anyone any experience?

Post by dug » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:30 pm

I've noticed the wonky binding on the originals, this just seemed extra bad. I forgot to mention the neck pocket, it was extremely terrible. The pictures do not do justice to the awfulness. The color made it hard to capture everything.

secondhand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secondhand » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:29 am

I played a Sahara and was not impressed. I didn't detect anything wrong with it specifically. I just thought it felt generic. None of the character of the originals seems to have transferred to the reissues. The neck shape had me bummed the most. Same wide flat C shape as on every other guitar. Plus the body shape is the oversize one. Totally wrong for a Sahara. I am kicking myself for not getting a vintage model for the same price as the new reissues a year or so back.
Good as the best. Bad as the worst!

Cross
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Cross » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:47 am

Reviving an old thread, but question about these resoglass reissues -

can you get inside to do electronic work? there are no f-holes, no Gibson style cavity covers...what if one of those Chinese wires comes loose? can you just pop the two halves apart, or would it be impossible to reseal them with that gasket/binding?

If anyone has experience with these or the vintage resoglass models, feel free to satisfy my curiosity.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Cross wrote:Reviving an old thread, but question about these resoglass reissues -

can you get inside to do electronic work? there are no f-holes, no Gibson style cavity covers...what if one of those Chinese wires comes loose? can you just pop the two halves apart, or would it be impossible to reseal them with that gasket/binding?

If anyone has experience with these or the vintage resoglass models, feel free to satisfy my curiosity.
the old ones aren't that tough to get into. the back half of the shell can be removed without disturbing the neck or electronics. trickiest part is keeping the gasket in place while you're putting the shell back together.
i thought the new ones were only plastic on the front. I'm not sure what you'd have to do to get into that.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:34 am

Just in case anyone else is wondering, I've got a chance to play two separate Saharas.

The first one sounded great, but the fit and finish was awful. The second one was nice, but there was no magic in it.
It was just a bland, boring, cheap feeling guitar.

I made a couple of youtube videos about them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp2rMT7rDEA&t=52s

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Cross wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:47 am
Reviving an old thread, but question about these resoglass reissues -

Here you go, gut check on my Sahara just after I bought it:
It probably took a half hour or so to get it apart including searching for diagrams/pics for about 10 minutes. Getting it back together was pretty easy as well w/ the toughest part getting all the bumper strip to sit on the outside edge of the top, probably took about 10 minutes to put it back together. Seems like a pretty good system so far, I'd certainly rather do this than work through F holes personally.

Cross
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Cross » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks man, yea I figured it out as well. What threw me off was the neck joint that seemed to be bolts instead of screws and is attached to both halves. PSA - they aren’t bolts, they just have a covering on them that hide the screws. Take the neck off, unscrew the back screws, voila. I also took the tailpiece off, not sure if that was totally necessary.

FWIW, I have a black holiday that I got a good deal on, and I LOVE it. The resoglass plus the vista tone reissues make for a sound I’ve never heard before in person - an absolutely beautiful garage/vintage rock tone. Yes, fit and finish isn’t great - I think they missed the mark on the price point for these. If they charged $500 like Squier instead of pushing 1k, I think these things would be popular. I dressed the fret ends and filed down the obstrusive nut a bit. Something also happened to the neck pickup, output dropped suddenly - hence the pop open. I am gutting the electronics and putting in CTS/Switchcraft/cloth 18g wire and a 4 way tele switch from stew Mac. Can’t wait to get it back together!

I love these pickups so much I’m considering buying a few for a rainy day build.