John Mayer unveils his new PRS

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: John Mayer unveils his new PRS

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 pm

somanytoys wrote:Sorry, a little late on this, but I always thought the 3 were Page, Clapton & Beck, is that not correct?
Yeah, but I'm not going to give Jeff Beck any real credit. He's a great guitar player and a fine musician and person, but he's pretty much not been all that relevant for decades now outside of guitar geeks. I can't think of any song of his that is played on classic rock stations or really anywhere. I know this will be anathema and people are going to get hot under the collar, but I would bet that you could ask anyone under the age of thirty to name a song that Jeff Beck was on and they'd never even be able to tell you who he was, but they'd know Eric Clapton from somewhere and of course Led Zeppelin.

Like them or not, when they write the history of rock and roll a hundred or so years down the road, the work of Eric Clapton will probably be in there and so will Led Zeppelin. But I don't predict that Jeff Beck will get a word.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 pm

spindizzy wrote:
And Layla is hardly a crap song.
To each their own, but all the "good" stuff on that was Duane Allman. You can thank Crapton for the piano outro, though.
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 am

No, the piano outro was composed by the drummer. I guess maybe you mean the guitar soloing over it, which is bland and forgettable and I can't recall a single bit of it.

I think Layla is awful, super boring, I've never understood the appeal of that song. To each their own and all, but that one- and the Derek and the Dominoes record in general- has always been a head scratcher to me.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 am

spindizzy wrote:
You mean the guy who came to prominence with John Mayall & the bluesbreakers - you were surprised he played blues?
Blues =/= Blooze
- Mitch

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:12 am

John Mayer, one of the lowest hanging fruits of all for music, gear, and celebrity junkies.

If he toured with Nickelback 62% of all guitar forums would implode-- crushed by hate threads.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 am

Want to pile on the Chainsmokers?

http://www.avclub.com/article/get-used- ... ers-253696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See, I'm moving forward.

ifallalot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ifallalot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 am

Larry Mal wrote:Want to pile on the Chainsmokers?

http://www.avclub.com/article/get-used-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ers-253696

See, I'm moving forward.
They figured out the $$$ formula.

1. Spin bangers at the festivals
2. Produce pop for the masses
3. Profit

I had listened to their SXM show and was very surprised when my wife started asking for me to play some Chainsmokers. Then I heard the pop songs and figured it all out.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 am

Mayer-related observation: My early days of live show attendance were dominated by Atlanta rockers. One of the bands I saw a lot was Follow For Now, whose only record was pretty flat compared to their live performances. They were a funk-rock thing and did a good job of integrating a lot of styles into their stuff. They had rowdy, roof-raising shows that were intense and inspiring to youngsters like me.

Anywho, David Ryan Harris was the frontman, and he was a badass singer and guitarist. By the early '90s he had started writing pop songs and became a back-of-the-stage, stuck-in-the-studio, partial-writing-credits working professional, and now he's Mayer's backing guitarist and musical director. I can't bear to listen to Mayer for reasons already expressed by several here, but Harris at least is legit, busting his ass back in the day playing good music with good bands. I'm happy he's had a solid career so far.

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 am

Larry Mal wrote:
somanytoys wrote:Sorry, a little late on this, but I always thought the 3 were Page, Clapton & Beck, is that not correct?
Yeah, but I'm not going to give Jeff Beck any real credit. He's a great guitar player and a fine musician and person, but he's pretty much not been all that relevant for decades now outside of guitar geeks. I can't think of any song of his that is played on classic rock stations or really anywhere. I know this will be anathema and people are going to get hot under the collar, but I would bet that you could ask anyone under the age of thirty to name a song that Jeff Beck was on and they'd never even be able to tell you who he was, but they'd know Eric Clapton from somewhere and of course Led Zeppelin.

Like them or not, when they write the history of rock and roll a hundred or so years down the road, the work of Eric Clapton will probably be in there and so will Led Zeppelin. But I don't predict that Jeff Beck will get a word.
Hmmm ... better play those poor kids Heart Full of Soul (https://youtu.be/e--e8fScb2A). They might have heard that one somewhere. Then feed their starving minds the whole Yardbirds album (https://youtu.be/6EOltvNRCmY) before moving on to Beck's Loudhailer from 2016 (https://youtu.be/x2H_n7n9ngo) and recommending they then look at some of his work between the two. Great stuff. Pretty sure he'll get that mention in the history books, but then I might just be a guitar geek. ;)
Blank.

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 am

countertext wrote:Mayer-related observation: My early days of live show attendance were dominated by Atlanta rockers. One of the bands I saw a lot was Follow For Now, whose only record was pretty flat compared to their live performances. They were a funk-rock thing and did a good job of integrating a lot of styles into their stuff. They had rowdy, roof-raising shows that were intense and inspiring to youngsters like me.

Anywho, David Ryan Harris was the frontman, and he was a badass singer and guitarist. By the early '90s he had started writing pop songs and became a back-of-the-stage, stuck-in-the-studio, partial-writing-credits working professional, and now he's Mayer's backing guitarist and musical director. I can't bear to listen to Mayer for reasons already expressed by several here, but Harris at least is legit, busting his ass back in the day playing good music with good bands. I'm happy he's had a solid career so far.
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing!
Blank.

bdf83
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bdf83 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:05 am

mbene085 wrote: In Clapton's defense, wasn't he on a fuckton of drugs during those "uninspired" years?
I thought the bland years were when he was on the booze after kicking heroin but could be wrong. Think he went sober around the unplugged album...

Subgenius
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Subgenius » Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 pm

Wow, some of you guys are rough...LOL
As for the PRS I'm not crazy about it but I'm sure if it's a Paul Reed Smith it's gonna be an awesome player . It better be for the money he wants for his guitars..
As for John Mayer as a person who knows if he's a douche.. I'm good friends with a guy who's built amps for Mayer . He usually dealt with his manager because I guess Mayer can be a bit unpersonable . I won't say he's a douche per say but I'm certain of what I know of about him is true . lol
His music is pretty good for being mainstream .

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Sat May 27, 2017 10:19 am

I have always wanted to try a PRS.

I have considered buying one of these FAME guitars, they are hand made in Danzig, Poland.

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Fam ... 021780-000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 am

I like PRS. I don't like John Mayer's model. Hope it's not a production model. Too bad his relationship with Fender went in the can. Tiring I'm sure for both parties.
I really want a Mira and a Vela someday.
I think I posted already in this thread. Too lazy to look. I know one thing.... I'm about to hit 4K posts. Boo ya kasha!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon May 29, 2017 11:23 am

BoringPostcards wrote:I like PRS. I don't like John Mayer's model. Hope it's not a production model. Too bad his relationship with Fender went in the can. Tiring I'm sure for both parties.
I really want a Mira and a Vela someday.
I think I posted already in this thread. Too lazy to look. I know one thing.... I'm about to hit 4K posts. Boo ya kasha!
3899 of them are from the misc word thread though. :freako: