NGD - 1966 Fender Telecaster (player)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Homeless Blueless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD - 1966 Fender Telecaster (player)

Post by Homeless Blueless » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Pleased to read how much you are enjoying this guitar, Despot. The repro sounds like it could be a good candidate for Despot's next Tele Custom too (good match for the neck WRHB)..

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:19 am

Last night I had a chance to try out my Tele next to a completely straight '67 ... which is actually a thing of beauty in candy apple red.

The first thing that was pointed out to me by this guy was that mine is Olympic White rather than Blonde. To me this was a 'yeah, I know' thing ... but he thought that Blonde (i.e. with transparency and grain through the finish) was the standard colour, and that Olympic White would have been a custom colour. I disagreed (and still do) - as every one I've seen online looks like mine - i.e. flat white rather than with with wood grain showing through, which suggests that Olympic White for Telecasters was the standard colour (like sunburst for everything else). I think the fact that the American Vintages come in flat white rather than white blonde with the wood grain showing supports this.

Anyway - the good. The neck pickups were identical ... or as close to being identical as you could get. The only difference was the cover (his has the earlier squared edge cover, mine the later round edge cover). Otherwise they sounded as close as you could get ... and great.

The bridge pickups were another thing entirely though ... no matter how I adjusted mine (in terms of height) it sounded just a little bit thin compared to the original '67 pickup (which had twang for days). They were in the same ball park in some ways (and mine appeared to have more bass), but after comparing the two I found it to be a little lacklustre.

Last night I did a random search on ebay and found another supposedly straight/unmessed with grey bobbin Telecaster pickup for a pretty decent price. I threw an offer at the seller not expecting him to go for a price reduction, but he did. So now I have another option on the way to try out...

Worst case scenario I can sell the pickups on to recoup my money ... but after last night's comparision I knew I had to keep the search going for a bridge pickup that sounds right. I know the sound I'm chasing now from trying my friend's '67 ... I'm going to try one more old pickup and if this doesn't do it for me I'll go the custom pickup route (I'd probably just try an Antiquity II bridge pickup - I loved their Jazzmaster pickups after all...).

So ... a few steps back, and in a few days I'll have another to try out.

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:47 pm

make-work projects.. get a real hobby, bud.
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:46 pm

terminalvertigo wrote:make-work projects.. get a real hobby, bud.
Thanks Andrew. Couldn't find one in LPB ... maybe this needs to be a refin project ;)

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:57 am

So, I'm done.

This guitar has gone through a couple of bridge pickups now, and the last one (a grey bobbin mid-60s pickup that, other than a repaired earth lead, is untouched) has hit the ball out of the park.

The first one (the Virgil Arlo pickup) was a fine sounding pickup, but probably more like a Broadcaster pickup than a bright '60s pickup. The second, while it was in the ball park of a '60s pickup, sounded anaemic next to an all original pickup in a '67 owned by a guy I know. The '67 just had more twang and character, leaving the rewound '60s pickup sounding generic.

But this third one is sweet. I pitched it against the '67 and they're not identical, but they've got a similar character. I actually prefer mine, as there's a bit more thump to the bass strings, while still with that cutting treble. The bobbin on mine has warped slightly (it's raised at the bass side), so I wonder whether this accounts for the increased bass thump (probably).

So I probably could have played this guitar as it was when I bought it and never had an issue - but I ended up being my usual annoying self when it comes to putting things back to how they should be as close as possible. Thankfully, on this occasion it paid off. The bridge plate change was something that wasn't really necessary, but the pickup change really makes a big difference to this guitar.

Things have been a bit manic lately in Despot Towers. There's been a mix of unexpected work travel and personal/family drama involving a death in the family. All of this happened while I was waiting for this pickup to arrive (it was posted from France and took an absolute age to get to me - none of which was the seller's fault). So now that the turbulence of the last few weeks has thankfully settled down I'm looking forward to spending the May bank holiday playing this through a cranked Princeton!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:16 am

Great to hear that there's a happy ending! 8)
Resident Spartan.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:19 am

Thanks Yannis. Very much so from my perspective. Though I am now left with two unused bridge pickups to add to the ever growing mountain of unused/unloved pickups! I'll have to do something with that Virgil Arlo - I could see myself building a parts Tele (I'd love to make a Bigsby Tele) and using that pickup in it, with a Charlie Christian in the neck (I've a spare one of those too... ).

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:04 am

Despot wrote:Thanks Yannis. Very much so from my perspective. Though I am now left with two unused bridge pickups to add to the ever growing mountain of unused/unloved pickups! I'll have to do something with that Virgil Arlo - I could see myself building a parts Tele (I'd love to make a Bigsby Tele) and using that pickup in it, with a Charlie Christian in the neck (I've a spare one of those too... ).

heheh...I guess you could always eBay them "L@@K VINT@GE" etc :D

All kidding aside...

You went through quite a journey with this one, good to hear that well...she is good to hear :)
Resident Spartan.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:56 pm

So here are some more recent photos showing the proper bridge plate/saddles and the replaced pickup.

Oh yeah ... and no more gunk on the pickguard!

debudavid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debudavid » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Awesome! 8)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Despot wrote:So here are some more recent photos showing the proper bridge plate/saddles and the replaced pickup.

Oh yeah ... and no more gunk on the pickguard!

Very cool!! :-* 8)
Resident Spartan.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:50 am

Really beautiful guitar. Looks like it's in good hands. Glad you got it all sorted out to your liking as well! Now, enjoy it. :)

Fenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fenderguy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:21 pm

What an amazing guitar :-* :-* :-*

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Ho-ly shit! :-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 am

I didn't see this thread Kevin; what a nice tele!
I knew where it was heading to when you first said the bridge pickup was sounding very good, but was a repro.
Also good you persisted after the first vintage bridge PU wasn't to your liking.
This guitar must be a joy to play; enjoy it!