NGD - 1966 Fender Telecaster (player)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD - 1966 Fender Telecaster (player)

Post by Despot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:32 am

Right. I'm conscious that I'm becoming a prick at this stage. Be aware in advance that this thing required the sacrifice of my beloved '65 ES330.

That's how good this Telecaster is.

Behold ... a beaten and battered, but otherwise mostly straight (*) 1966 Fender Telecaster!!

The Story (because there's always one)
My guitar store owning friend bought this from the US. He has been looking for a '60s Tele for himself for a long time, and the price was right on this one. The reason for the price being right was that the bridge pickup had died and had been replaced with a custom wound replica. I'm not sure who did the work, but it sounds pretty damn good, so I'm not complaining. The neck pickup and everything else is straight/100%. There are some replaced dots on the side of the neck too ... but ... meh. He got the guitar, took it out of the gig bag it came in and I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't going to keep it. I also knew why without having to ask him ... he has a particular neck profile that he likes on Fenders that roughly translates as the thicker the better ... this one has an extremely slim neck that sort of feels like the AVRI reissue necks. You know how I've always said that actual 1962 Jazzmaster don't have a neck like the '62 AVRI Jazzmaster (the vintage ones feeling fatter across the back)? Well it turns out that AVRI necks feel like 1966 Telecaster necks...

Anyway ... a few weeks passed since he got it and I went in to say hello earlier. I asked about the Telecaster - he pulled out a case containing an original Fiesta Red Stratocaster from 1963 that he'd also bought and was keeping (and yep ... it had the same neck as my Dec 62 Jazzmaster so I can see why!). As he was keeping the Strat he couldn't keep the Telecaster. I made the mistake of plugging it in and falling in love with it...

I knew that the only thing I had that he'd any interest in (well ... apart from my Jazzmaster, but that's never being sold) was my '65 ES330. He had actually nearly bought it before me, so he's always had a 'thing' about that guitar (being the one that got away). We worked out a trade deal ... and I got the Telecaster.

Now ... a while back I mentioned a '67 CAR Telecaster that haunts my dreams ... it's owned by a collector in Dublin that I've bought a few bits from, but he's always said he'd never sell it. Given that he's a tough guy to trade with, I knew that if he ever did sell it the guitar would cost me a kidney as well as a leg, so I've been trying to erase that guitar from my mind. That '67 had a slightly fatter neck than this one, but I have to say as much as I loved that CAR one, this one sounds a little better to my ear.

It's a surprisingly full sounding guitar. The bridge pickup has that Tele treble/bite, as it should ... but without a hint of shrillness. I'm not sure what year/specs the pickup has been wound to, but it almost has a '50s Tele sound ... that slightly hotter pickup sound. The neck sounds like every great Telecaster I've heard on recordings ... and the middle position ... awww man. It's just heaven. There's no other word for it.

I've sort of discounted ever owning a '60s Telecaster of any sort ... given the price. But the deal on this worked out for both of us, and I've finally managed to snag something I'd written off as unobtainium. I had a feeling that one of the ES330s would go this year ... and as much as I loved that '65 ... I actually prefer the '59 reissue that I recently acquired. So all in all - decent Saturday.

* Update (thanks Michael)
- So ... it looks like there was at least one thing I didn't spot ... the changed bridge plate. I'm not sure where the current bridge plate came from, but it's not the proper type for the year and likely a modern vintage reissue. That being said, the tarnish suggests it's been on the guitar for a while.
- I'd though the scratch plate wasn't right ... but again, it's been on the guitar for a long time.
- Volume pot has been replaced.
- Side position markers on the neck have been replaced with slightly bigger markers. I'd say this was done purely to make them easier to see on a dark stage over the original markers. They look fine.
Last edited by Despot on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: NGD - 1966 Fender Telecaster

Post by Telliot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:07 am

Congrats, Kev. Your NGD threads never disappoint, and this is your best one yet. Honestly it's all you need — there isn't a more perfect guitar. :-*
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Fenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fenderguy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:31 am

Congrats Kevin. No doubt, you did the right move here my friend :) What a great-looking guitar!

Does it have original wiring?
Staggered pole pieces are era-correct for the bridge pickup. It`s not super-bright?
I`ve changed out the pickups on my old `68 to some newer ones, the wiring as well.

I`m sure you`re aware of this; the bridge plate is changed to a newer one and I think the pickguard may be a repro.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks Michael.

I hadn't realised that the bridge plate was changed (I'm not as on point with Telecaster parts as I am with ES GIbsons or offsets!). Looking at it now the screws holding it to the body are newer - I'm guessing it was changed when the bridge pickup was changed. I'd assumed the guard was non-original (the screws look far too new).

To be honest this all makes sense and help to explain the price. Also, none of this worries me ... I wasn't looking for a collector guitar. :)

I've just popped the selector plate (one screw holding it in is a brass wood screw :fp: ) - volume pot has been changed, but the tone pot and tone cap are original. Switch looks original too.

Re: bridge pickup/brightness
Whatever repro pickup is in this isn't as bright as '60s Tele pickups I've tried before - whatever it is, I like it. Still ... if I manage to find a '66 or '67 bridge pickup (or maybe even the bridge plate as well) I might just have to pick them up and replace them.

Fenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fenderguy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 am

Players guitars are the best for sure :)

I`ll keep an eye out for a bridge pickup from this era for you.

The way to recognize a vintage guard is to look for that little small angled cut by the bass side of the neck, repros never seem to get this right.
Also see the logo on my bridge plate.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:36 am

...my god, Kev!!! (...raises a glass)

Congrats! Despite the changed bits, what a tele!

re: necks...
I had measured my AVRI against my old FEB66 neck JM and it was very similar in depth at 1st and 12th with the 66 having just barely more wood. The shape was also just slightly flatter, like a D but not really a D. Was a great neck. So if yours if anything like that I know its a treat to play. I like the bigger, earlier necks to but the 66's I've played have always been great too despite being slimmer. Not sure if its across the board on all Fenders. I've only owned a couple 66s (JM and Jag) and played a handful of others in shops.

Must sound incredible in your PR!
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:48 am

Michael - thanks man, much appreciated! There's actually one for sale in Spain/BCN ... reading 6.1 ohms, not sure if that's in the range of what it should be... 300 euro also seems a bit cheap.

Nick - I haven't had a chance to try it through the PR yet, but I have played it through Owen's Swart in the store and it sounded ... unbelievable. I've been playing it through my own Swart this evening. Tomorrow I'll get to open up the PR and give it a try. :)

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Congrats! That looks great. I'm pretty sure that there will be a great big smile on your face after a few minutes with this tele and your PR. If I were you, I'd set the reverb to stun. :)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:25 am

Very cool guitar...I love a worn Tele...but then again, who doesn't? :)
Resident Spartan.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:22 am

Kevin, great pickup there ... Beck, Bloomfield, early Page ... love that sound.

Are you going to be looking for an original PUP in the future?
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

ifallalot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ifallalot » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 am

That is heavenly

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:58 am

Congrats Kevin - lovely guitar. Great that you're exploring some amazing vintage guitars. Enjoy.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am

zhivago wrote:Very cool guitar...I love a worn Tele...but then again, who doesn't?
Thanks Yannis. :)

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:01 am

sookwinder wrote:Kevin, great pickup there ... Beck, Bloomfield, early Page ... love that sound.

Are you going to be looking for an original PUP in the future?
Yeah David .. I'm going to keep an eye out for one. The cheapest option might be to get one that's dead on the cheap and get a rewind done. As it is the one that's in there sounds pretty damn good ... but I'd like to replace the missing bits from this one (bridge pickup, bridge plate/saddles etc). But I'll take my time finding the parts and buy them when I see decent prices (rather than go to hatchet merchants like Vintage Correct Parts ... who, incidentally, have all the parts I need right now).

The pickguard is a WD Parts guard (I had it off today to clean it). Well spotted Michael. I'm not too pushed about replacing the guard - it doesn't really scream wrong as it is. In fact, nothing about it screams wrong (the bridge plate politely asserts itself rather than screams).

Neck stamp is MAR 66 B.
Last edited by Despot on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:10 am

Some more photos in daylight from earlier today...