NGD: Japanese Fender Telecaster

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Japanese Fender Telecaster

Post by BlixaFan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:01 pm

so since my relationship just fell apart, i sold one of my unplayed strats and picked up a used japanese Tele that showed up locally. this is my first telecaster, and so far i really like it.
i'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out what year it is (serial starts with V, and it's CIJ). the neck has a slight V shape, which is new for me because i've always been a strat guy with C necks, so we'll see how my hands like it.

she's a little worn and beat up, but sounds great. i like that it's a little beat up, gives it some character, and i don't have to worry about dinging it.
if i had to guess, it's a vintage reissue, probably a TL52, 3 saddles, vintage style tuners...and no knobs because the guy took them off and misplaced them :D
any recommendations where i could buy some that'll fit a CIJ pot?

here she is!

and yes... i realize the guitar is backwards

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Japanese Fender Telecaster

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:53 pm

You can use the regular grub-screw tele knobs, the screw just grips the split shaft.

V-shaped japanese neck, huh? If that's as narrow as the MIJ necks I've played, I bet it's damn comfy!

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:You can use the regular grub-screw tele knobs, the screw just grips the split shaft.

V-shaped japanese neck, huh? If that's as narrow as the MIJ necks I've played, I bet it's damn comfy!
i'll give that a try! thanks :)
and i played it for a few hours yesterday and the neck is very comfy.

pjennings
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Cleveland, Ohio "Rock 'n' Roll Capital of the World"

Post by pjennings » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:51 am

BlixaFan wrote:so since my relationship just fell apart, i sold one of my unplayed strats and picked up a used japanese Tele that showed up locally. this is my first telecaster, and so far i really like it.
i'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out what year it is (serial starts with V, and it's CIJ). the neck has a slight V shape, which is new for me because i've always been a strat guy with C necks, so we'll see how my hands like it.

she's a little worn and beat up, but sounds great. i like that it's a little beat up, gives it some character, and i don't have to worry about dinging it.
if i had to guess, it's a vintage reissue, probably a TL52, 3 saddles, vintage style tuners...and no knobs because the guy took them off and misplaced them
any recommendations where i could buy some that'll fit a CIJ pot?

here she is!

and yes... i realize the guitar is backwards
Congrats! I have had this same exact guitar (left-handed too) for 14 years. My Tele is also a V serial number which means ours were built in 1996-1997. It was stock until last year when the pickup selector finally died. I completely gutted it electronically rather than just replacing the selector. It now has a regular 3-way switch, AVRI 64 Telecaster pickups, flat top Tele knobs, brass compensated saddles, full size CTS pots, and an Electrosocket jack.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:59 pm

pjennings wrote:
Congrats! I have had this same exact guitar (left-handed too) for 14 years. My Tele is also a V serial number which means ours were built in 1996-1997. It was stock until last year when the pickup selector finally died. I completely gutted it electronically rather than just replacing the selector. It now has a regular 3-way switch, AVRI 64 Telecaster pickups, flat top Tele knobs, brass compensated saddles, full size CTS pots, and an Electrosocket jack.
thanks! crazy to think it's 20 years old. my pickup selector is a 3 way switch as well, so i'm not sure if someone swapped that out at one point....
it sounds great, so i think i'll stay with what i've got electronics-wise (unless something dies, and then i'll probably do what you did)

i really want flat top tele knobs :?

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:09 pm

got some flat tele knobs, and a top-hat switch tip (instead of the black strat switch tip that was on there when i bought it), so the look is now complete ;D