So I tried another nitro finished Gretsch and now i'm confused...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

So I tried another nitro finished Gretsch and now i'm confused...

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 12, 2009 3:46 am

So after finally setting on a TV Jones Lacquer White Falcon I start casting around for the best price.  I called the guy who's Falcon I played to ask what kind of deal he got and he invited me over to try it again and it was still stunning.  But...while I was there he lets me play his Reverend Horton Heat Nashville (with TV Jones and Nitro finish) and god it was amazing, so I call his recommended store and they tell me that they can get me a Horton for £600/$900 less than the Falcon.  All very confusing, I'm probably the least 'western' person I could imagine but the Guitar was so right, sounded beautiful and at the back of my mind I keep thinking this guitar would age beautifully.  Only snag with it is the clear pickguard and hortons sig on the truss cover which i'd replace with a custom pickguard with a pinupsimilar to this.  I know Hortons a good player but really means nothing to me.  Saving £600 isn't to be sniffed at either when you partially feel you could further bumping your kid's University fund.  :-[

Only debit is the shorter scale and the nagging Falcon love, but maybe a Falcons like a Ferrari, much admired but maybe a cooler guitar the under 40's.  The Horton looks quite like Robin Guthries Nashville which I have long admired.

Anyway did a little digging and found the big haired guy on next level guitar testing out one and wow!

pics

I promise this won't drag on like a certain amp thread, order goes in monday at the latest.
Are you loathsome tonight?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Re: So I tried another nitro finished Gretsch and now i'm confused...

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue May 12, 2009 4:05 am

I much prefer this one over the Falcon cosmetically, personally. To be honest, one a bit more plain (no Gretsch brand in the top, plainer inlays) would look even better to me. Is this one cheaper than a regular 6120? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9hoUkCNrv8

Saw a RHH show once. Pretty cool, great showman.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 12, 2009 4:33 am

No not cheaper but Nitro finished with all the mods.  I am tempted by this one too G6120 - 1959LTV but i'd maybe have to change to a pinned bridge because in my experience it can be a pain in the arse when coupled with a bigsby.  Possibly cheaper still in theory but the Hortons seem cheaper in reality, but it's still nitro finished, good pickups and great looking.  I'm worried i'm overthinking this but it's fun to weigh the options, as i've not bought a guitar for years and I feel like building a second setup completely different to my JM one.
Last edited by shadowplay on Tue May 12, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 am

Don't pin it, it should be ok if it's setup ok (and that's coming from a guy who mostly uses Gretsches).
You can paint the back of the pickguard whatever colour you might want and it should look great, that's how the ones you'd buy would be anyway.

Tommy.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 12, 2009 7:38 am

Cheers for the advice Tommy, i'm going on experience with a 60' Double Anniversary and i've prevaricated over pinning the bridge for years, because it had a tendency to move.  I  never actually went through with it mainly because it had VERY microphonic Hilotrons and I hardly played it.  Recently I bit the bullet and installed TV Jones classics (the hilo's are getting fixed and i'm going to find a use for them) and it's now off getting some rotten flaky binding sorted and when it's finally done it should hopefully be ready for another 50 years.

And it nice to see more Scots on the board  8)

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Tue May 12, 2009 7:45 am

Cool  where are you from?

A good trick is to tape some sandpaper to the top facing upwards and move the bridge base over it back and forth to shape the bottom to the guitar's top. Much less chance of it slipping if it's a better fit.
Still got the Hilos? *cough*.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 am

South Side of Glasgow, though i'm supposed to be moving back to London with family in tow if we can find a house we like as my work's mainly there.

Not got the hilos in hand, they are off getting attention/possible rewind.  The guitar should actually have Filtertrons due to it's age but it might have been a tester.  I was lucky to get it super cheap in a secondhand (not music) shop a good few years ago and i've only recently started to think beyond my Jazzmaster.

therizzla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by therizzla » Tue May 12, 2009 9:54 am

The primary guitar player in my instrumental band uses a RHH Gretsch and I have played it many time.  Out of all the Gretsch models I'm still in love with Country Gents but the RHH is a sweet girl aswell!
reverb.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 am

or even easier than the sandpaper trick, just get a couple of pieces of double stick tape. line them up under the bridge. It won't move if you don't want it to.

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Tue May 12, 2009 11:48 am

The tape is a good idea too but not so great if it's a nitro finish.