Thinning the laquer on an acoustic....

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Thinning the laquer on an acoustic....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:59 am

Is it feasible to do this?

I've got an acoustic with very thick laquer & was wondering if thinning the laquer would make it louder.

Has anyone ever tried this?
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thinning the laquer on an acoustic....RESSURRECTED!!!

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue May 05, 2009 2:30 pm

This thread didn't see much action!  :D

I'm eyeing up a couple of acoustics. I haven't decided which one I'm gonna go for but it basically means that my EKO Ranger will become a bit of a guinea pig.

The job a tech did on re-glueing the bridge & guard has always bugged me. The guy was fucking sloppy (as some of you will possible remember reading).

Also I'm really curious to find out if the sound will be affected at all.

What I basically want to do is take the laquer down as far as possible without ruining the rosette. Ideally to the point where I can get the bridge & guard re-glued properly.

Maybe there are some newer forum members who have experience of this, or just some oldies who never saw this first time around.

At the end of the day I can get a replacement Ranger for easy money & they're amazing sounding guitars. I didn't just get lucky. I've played a few since, 60's - 80's, & they've all sounded gorgeous.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue May 05, 2009 6:06 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote: t it basically means that my EKO Ranger will become a bit of a guinea pig.
At the end of the day I can get a replacement Ranger for easy money & they're amazing sounding guitars. I didn't just get lucky. I've played a few since, 60's - 80's, & they've all sounded gorgeous.
Mark...don't fix what isn't broken, then! The lacquer also protects the wood...
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed May 06, 2009 3:28 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote: t it basically means that my EKO Ranger will become a bit of a guinea pig.
Mark...don't fix what isn't broken, then! The lacquer also protects the wood...
I expected this. I know what you're saying.

The other problem that I didn't mention was the warped bridge. I've a feeling the reason the EKO bridges changed in size during the late 70's was down to this....

I guess the string tension pulls the middle upwards over time. I'd like to remove the bridge, fix the warp & re-attach it.

Call me crazy but this has been bugging me ever since I handed it to that dick-head guitar tech.

Gaaaaaaahhhh!!!