Hollow body repair?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hollow body repair?

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 am

I have a 62 Harmoney H47 Stratotone Mercury. the jack is located on the bottom of the body. The wood where the jack is mounted is getting kind of fragile, when I unplugg it I can see the wood bowing outward with the jack. this conserned me so much last time I played it that I have not plugged it back in. How can I go about strengthening the wood to it doesn't break at some point. any other quick/temp. fixes? Thanks
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hollow body repair?

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:46 pm

There are no F holes. I can however take the pick guard off but that hole will still be about 11 inches away from the jack. I had an  Ibanez  rocket roll flying and the jack had broke through the top and someone (before I bought it) glued a big aluminum washer to the top and reinstalled the jack. Not thinking of dooing that, just thought I'd mention it.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hollow body repair?

Post by AWSchmit » Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 am

I found a guy in my area who can fix this problem for me, but I was wondering. How much should a repair job like this run me? Thanks