sean's build log (revived)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: sean's jaguar build..... now with paint

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 am
ok, it's a conversion neck. i stuck an e string on there and the only way i could get it to intonate was to move a tom way back until it was off the pickguard. looks like i need a new neck.
At least there's a plethora of shortscale Squiers to act as donors these days. I had to be very patient to get a neck for my Mustang. Looks nice, btw.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: sean's jaguar build..... now with paint

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:22 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 am
ok, it's a conversion neck. i stuck an e string on there and the only way i could get it to intonate was to move a tom way back until it was off the pickguard. looks like i need a new neck.
At least there's a plethora of shortscale Squiers to act as donors these days. I had to be very patient to get a neck for my Mustang. Looks nice, btw.
thanks ulric.

so. plans. i now have a shorty conversion neck. i think im going to put it on my red jagmaster when i finally get around to putting a good set of pickups in it. might as well.

as for the jaguar. i think im going to put this project on the back burner until the last of the parts come up.

however, as for this thread. im thinking of changing it over to a thread for all the projects i have going/planned so i dont start like 1 thread for each project.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: sean's build log (the thread formally known as sean's jaguar build)

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:45 pm

I think separate threads per project is a better way to do it, Sean. That way if someone is looking for info on a particular model (or 'inspired by' model) it's easier to find, or at least laid out in an easier format for them to find what they're looking for.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:59 am

update. OFFSET TO THE RESCUE.

so im getting most of the parts i need from osg users. thank you very much. i'll keep ya all updated.

as for the conversion neck. well it's going on my red jagmaster Dorothy (it reminds me of judy garland's slippers in the wizard of oz)
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 am

I'm glad you are starting back up with this one Sean, it'll be an amazing guitar when finished!
Don't be suprised if I steal that look from you for my next Jag build! ;)
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:09 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 am
I'm glad you are starting back up with this one Sean, it'll be an amazing guitar when finished!
Don't be suprised if I steal that look from you for my next Jag build! ;)
the white and black look or the exposed grain look?

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:07 am

Maybe both!
I love a doghair finish (though slightly different from your exposed grain) like this:

or TV Black as they call it @ Kauer:

And I'm certainly not opposed to pearloid on Jag's!
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:15 am

go for it man.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 am

neck 2 arrived this morning. got the tuners in the post and just painted the headstock. here is a taste of what is to come.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 pm

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm

remember to ground to the trem plate instead of the bridge since you have graphtech saddles(i forgot when i upgraded my VM)
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 am

FightingPlankton wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm
remember to ground to the trem plate instead of the bridge since you have graphtech saddles(i forgot when i upgraded my VM)
i know man, i had the same problem when i upgraded the jankmaster.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:57 am

update. the plates are in the post. the end is in sight. with any luck i should move onto my next 2 projects soon. the other thing on my bench atm is a tele that was being humbuckered for my friends dad. sadly, i dont have any pictures of that right now.

so what's next after this? well im changing out the neck on my red jagmaster for the conversion neck and im considering putting in a set of artec wrhb style pickups. i know they aint like real wideranges but i still dig them. the idea i was having is because my bassman and deluxe 90 is in kirckauldy at the moment, i was thinking go up there once the jaguar is done, spend the afternoon changing the neck on the jagmaster then using both and the bassman at an open mic night so i can also test some songs. i also need to grab one of my guitars from there too because it's part of my next project.

long story but i am really not happy with the body on my baritone strat. i want to change that. what am i thinking? baritone jazzmaster inspired by this lovely lady.
i shall call it, the yanderemaster.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Let's hear it for bari JMs.

I've got a set of Timbo pickups I've got set aside for such a project in the future, a tele bridge/jm neck combo. Wanna do it up like Finboy's telemaster, but with a long neck and a firemist silver finish. Someday. in the meantime, I look forward to seeing your project.
This is an excellent rectangle

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm
Let's hear it for bari JMs.

I've got a set of Timbo pickups I've got set aside for such a project in the future, a tele bridge/jm neck combo. Wanna do it up like Finboy's telemaster, but with a long neck and a firemist silver finish. Someday. in the meantime, I look forward to seeing your project.
thanks. that means a lot. im not sure if i want to use the pickups i already have in the bari strat and just get a pickguard blank or if i wanna go for something special