Building a Warmoth Jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Building a Warmoth Jazzmaster

Post by Rgand » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:07 am

Chiediazanna wrote: Thanks a lot Rgand. Nothing is cheap in this world! First step for me will be to route my 72 deluxe (aftermarket body) to allow jazzmaster pickups and a matching pickguard. I'll take it slow, still have some guitars to sell before. Again, thanks for the support.
Glad to help. Yeah, things cost but so often the bargain basement stuff isn't worth dealing with.

Chiediazanna
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chiediazanna » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Rgand wrote:
Chiediazanna wrote: Thanks a lot Rgand. Nothing is cheap in this world! First step for me will be to route my 72 deluxe (aftermarket body) to allow jazzmaster pickups and a matching pickguard. I'll take it slow, still have some guitars to sell before. Again, thanks for the support.
Glad to help. Yeah, things cost but so often the bargain basement stuff isn't worth dealing with.
Wise. It is a very specific bridge, hard to find in used in europe.
Off topic: is there a specific section in this forum dedicated to selling and swapping threads?

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Chiediazanna wrote:Off topic: is there a specific section in this forum dedicated to selling and swapping threads?
I haven't seen one, but I'm new here so there may be one. Maybe one of the other forum members will chime in on that.

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 am

Paint and assembly by Bob Logan is done!

With its Squier little brother:

Middle pickup still on the way, and I'll twist those wires running to the rhythm circuit and solder on the ground wire when I add the middle pickup.

I'm in love with this guitar. Tons of sustain with the Mastery. The Novak Wide Range sounds great.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:07 am

Beautiful! I really love that subtle / faded burst. With the tort and that darker neck it's just enough different to be interesting, but just enough the same to look really classic. Congrats
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:50 pm

mathias wrote:This is Warmoth's "roasted maple" which they say doesn't need a finish, so we'll see how it does raw.
I've had a couple of Warmoth's necks made in woods which do not require finishing. I would recommend it to anyone, there's something very satisfying about playing a piece of raw wood. :?

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:...With the tort and that darker neck it's just enough different to be interesting, but just enough the same to look really classic...
100% agree. This is a very well executed and classy project.

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:58 pm

The tort will probably look even better when I tear off the protective film :D I was just in a hurry to play it!

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:47 am

So sick! Really dig the faded sunburst, super unique. Almost reminds me of antigua.

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:50 am

The painter and I exchanged photos of vintage Fender bursts and I told him I didn't want as much orange in the amber as Fender/Squier uses now -- hence the fade! It is really unique but it feels good to stick with classic lines and aesthetics. The third pickup is also going to be a little extra nod to individuality, when it is installed

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:03 pm

(It's my thread so I'll doublepost if I want to.. ;) )

I didn't realize it all the time that I had this neck in a box, but the back profile is definitely thinner (Warmoth Standard Thin, I think?) than the neck on my Squier VM JM. I wonder if I am partial to chunkier necks, or if I just need to get used to this. I played an SG for a long time, and that was definitely a thinner neck.. I should use some calipers and see how everything measures up.

Not complaining. This guitar continues to be amazing, even though it needs a few more tweaks.

Has anyone used Gabriel Tenorio String Company offset strings? I know M&M Guitar Bar blog posts talk about them a lot. I'm partial to coated strings because they last so much longer, and I dislike the feeling of worn/corroded strings.. but that probably means I should just replace non-coated strings more often. Thinking about getting those Offset Strings, but wanted to hear whether others thought they were worth the premium?

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:35 pm

The lipstick pickup should be here soon! I spent some time with alligator clips and my digital multimeter trying to confirm that I knew how the Mustang slider switch would work, and it turns out I don't. I thought maybe it'd be wired like a humbucker coil selector (both coils, only first coil, only second coil) but that didn't seem right either. ( I was going off of viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43919#p659048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

I was going to use a mini toggle but the 3 position toggles I could find online were ON-OFF-ON and what I'd really like is ON-ON-ON. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

With a SPDT mini toggle, which I have a lot of, I could solo the middle pickup OR have it switch regularly for the Jazzmaster pickups / switches but never have all of them on at once. There's something appealing about a "middle middle" position where I've got everything on all at once.

Advice? Thoughts?

DWO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DWO » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Nice build. Are you still loving it?

Whatever happened to the lipstick pickup?