Agape Guitars goings-on and sawdust production

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
maxbra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Agape Guitars goings-on and sawdust production

Post by maxbra » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:42 am

This!! Picture of the back?

Bothand Nether
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bothand Nether » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:58 am

maxbra wrote:Image

This!! Picture of the back?
+1 to moar pix :freako: :)
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied Son of tricky dicky's Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me"
-The late Mr. L.

rich_chaffins
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rich_chaffins » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Moar pix? Sure thing! Thanks!

In the meantime, getting this Junia started in the finishing process:

Its neck is the one on the right, a couple others nearing completion:

rich_chaffins
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rich_chaffins » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:48 pm

After forgetting to drill a hole before finish last time, doing pre-finish assembly/testing now. First up, an Astrid.
Wiring:

Strings n things:

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danp3man » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:37 am

You do some really nice work- very inspirational to a newbie to the guitar building world such as myself! Beautiful selection on the woods! I'm starting to get brave enough to contemplate building my first neck- just seems kind of intimidating, as to me there is so little room for error there- something that just has to be dead on right to make or break a guitars playability and "feel". Bodies are a challenge too, but there's a littler more "wiggle room" in most areas here for a minor "oops" moment. I'm a fairly experienced woodworker (nowhere near close to calling myself a luthier, but maybe someday I'll earn that distinction in my own eyes)- I need a lot of progress and more experience in building, but for a lifelong woodworker such as myself, it sure is a fun challenge!. Anyway, sir, kudos to your work and hats off to yet another fine luthier on this site! I find a lot of very talented people here who so gladly share their wisdom and experience, and offer very valuable constructive criticism and suggestions- you're right up there with the best, and I love the fact you name your guitars "Agape"! ;)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:16 pm

rich_chaffins wrote: Image
Great pickguard! Really simply & well thought out.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

rich_chaffins
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rich_chaffins » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:12 am

danp3man wrote:You do some really nice work- very inspirational to a newbie to the guitar building world such as myself! Beautiful selection on the woods! I'm starting to get brave enough to contemplate building my first neck- just seems kind of intimidating, as to me there is so little room for error there- something that just has to be dead on right to make or break a guitars playability and "feel". Bodies are a challenge too, but there's a littler more "wiggle room" in most areas here for a minor "oops" moment. I'm a fairly experienced woodworker (nowhere near close to calling myself a luthier, but maybe someday I'll earn that distinction in my own eyes)- I need a lot of progress and more experience in building, but for a lifelong woodworker such as myself, it sure is a fun challenge!. Anyway, sir, kudos to your work and hats off to yet another fine luthier on this site! I find a lot of very talented people here who so gladly share their wisdom and experience, and offer very valuable constructive criticism and suggestions- you're right up there with the best, and I love the fact you name your guitars "Agape"!
Thank you, sir! That's very kind of you.
I'd suggest buying a pre-slotted fretboard if you're nervous. That takes the big scary away, and there's no shame in it. For the carve, trust what your hand tells you, and refer back to a neck you like often during the carving. The neck is probably my favorite part. Good luck!

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
rich_chaffins wrote: Image
Great pickguard! Really simply & well thought out.
Appreciate it, Porky! However, not much thought went into it. I wanted that basic shape, and noticed that a jalapeño pepper fit the bill, so I took a pic of a jalapeño, blew it up, and voila! Pickguard.

Getting ready to go finish putting this Junia together in a few. Put it together, make sure everything works, take it all off, and do the finish.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:50 am

rich_chaffins wrote:I wanted that basic shape, and noticed that a jalapeño pepper fit the bill, so I took a pic of a jalapeño, blew it up, and voila! Pickguard.
;D

Inspired!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:44 pm

It that resin filled? Does it glowwww? I had some glow dye i wanted to mix in resin that wanted to use as grain filler but needed something more porous to make it work.

rich_chaffins
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rich_chaffins » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:43 am

Ben17e wrote:It that resin filled? Does it glowwww? I had some glow dye i wanted to mix in resin that wanted to use as grain filler but needed something more porous to make it work.
Why, yes! Yes it does.

Here's the back:

And here's another Junia I'm working on right now. This one isn't spoken for yet, so trying to decide on a color still.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:42 am

that guitar with the blue infill is nuts. I love everything about it.
it almost looks like a satellite photo of the earth...
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Love that model - how thick are your necks?

rich_chaffins
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rich_chaffins » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:that guitar with the blue infill is nuts. I love everything about it.
it almost looks like a satellite photo of the earth...
Thanks, man! Really happy with how she's turning out. Customer commissioned based on the top wood (posted a pic of the wood when I bought it), wanted a polar bear theme, and told me to go nuts. I was going for an arctic look for it, which i think it does, and also does look like a sat photo. Might explore that further in later builds. Also, looks like you're pretty local to me!
Ben17e wrote:Love that model - how thick are your necks?
Appreciate it, Ben! I do necks however the owner wants. I've done over 1" to .070" or so so far. On my show builds, I usually favor a tad thicker necks (my preference, for both feel and tone) in a C carve that flattens a bit to a D closer to the body.

Starting a new multiscale 7 string build also. Starting with a 9-piece neck, cuz a) metal guys n gals like multi-piece necks; b) laminated necks are nice and stable; and c) using cutoffs and scraps is AWESOME. There is zebrawood, maple, flamed myrtle, and walnut in there.

Here's the rest of it. Koa top and back on a walnut core for the body, 45 degree bevel. Macassar ebony fretboard.

kosta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kosta » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:15 am

A ton of great shapes in here, and such great pieces of wood! Seems like a lot of fun in your shop. Thanks for sharing so many pics.

rich_chaffins
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rich_chaffins » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 am

kosta wrote:A ton of great shapes in here, and such great pieces of wood! Seems like a lot of fun in your shop. Thanks for sharing so many pics.
Thanks, Kosta! Love me some sweet wood.
Here's how the multiscale Eve is now. Got dots placed where I want them, but these are too bright. Gotta find something less jarring.

Another Giasemi in the works. Alder body, walnut neck, rosewood board. Stetsbar and a killer piece of tort for the guard. Trying some different body sculpting on this one.