Jazz-Caster, or Tele-Master if Jazz-Caster is Taken

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jazz-Caster, or Tele-Master if Jazz-Caster is Taken

Post by MrWizard44 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Behold, my first guitar design --

More Final design --

This project is very much filed under the "someday" heading.  Still, I thought I'd share it with you guys to see if it was any good. 

I swear, even though Muse has nothing to do with offsets at all, they give me more inspiration for offset guitars than this entire forum put together (no offense, guys).  It's a long story that I can bore you with later if you want, but the short of it is that this time around, I was looking at Matt Bellamy's guitar, which, when I knew nothing about obscure guitars, I once mistook for a Jaguar (it was a really poorly lit music video, forgive me!  I was dumb!) -- and it gave me the idea for an offset Telecaster.  When you get down to brass tacks, the Jaguar/Jazzmaster body, as well as some other offset guitars to greater or lesser degrees, looks like a streched/skewed Stratocaster with different plates/routing/etc.  So, I thought it might be neat to do the same thing to a Telecaster.  I threw in some other stuff to make it a little less Fender-y and now I think it almost looks more like a Schecter or an Ibanez guitar, if you ignore the floating tremolo.  For a while I had shelved this, but today for whatever reason the design suddenly clicked for me and I pounded this out after a couple sketches.

I was thinking humbuckers and a gotoh/wilkinson bridge for a while, but today I decided P-90s and a Tune-O-Matic w/ Floating tailpiece and I think it really brought the design together.  I might do some other drawings w/ different knob options, different pickups, and maybe that gotoh/wilkinson or even a hardtail (no floyd roses, though -- too utilitarian looking for my tastes -- and too Ibanez).  I also thought about experimenting with the lead and rhythm circuits but didn't put it down on paper.  I might try to make this more traditional looking, too.  Hell, I don't know.

However, I do know that I want an offset telecaster AND that this guitar should be painted in *metallic* Fender Custom Colors -- shoreline gold, sherwood green, ice blue, inca silver, stuff like that.

And if it looks too much like this -- http://www.musewiki.org/images/thumb/18 ... Manson.jpg -- let me know so I can change it.
Last edited by MrWizard44 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Re: Jazz-Caster, or Tele-Master if Jazz-Caster is Taken

Post by Stereordinary » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 pm

I like it!  Better than my first design...
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

5L1V3R
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 5L1V3R » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:37 pm

pretty cool, although tele headstocks make me angry  >:(
put on a classic fender strat headstock and i think it will look good

Surfoverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfoverb » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:55 pm

5L1V3R wrote: pretty cool, although tele headstocks make me angry  >:(
I love the Tele 'spaggetti' headstocks. Very sleek.

MrWizard44
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrWizard44 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:00 pm

Surfoverb wrote:
5L1V3R wrote: pretty cool, although tele headstocks make me angry  >:(
I love the Tele 'spaggetti' headstocks. Very sleek.
Yeah, that's why I used a tele-like headstock here.  The telecaster headstock design is great because 1. it's all curves, which is really nice for a very rounded guitar like mine and 2. it's very simple and doesn't draw a lot of attention to itself.  It's kind of understated, which is cool.  The 70's Strat headstock, by contrast, is like a flag hanging off of the neck ... damn thing is huge.  I mean, it's cool, but it's huge.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:28 pm

Tele headstocks rule. 8)

pretty cool, although tele headstocks make me angry 
BTW, Noobz can't be angry.  It's a rule. :D

You must be humble. ;)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:15 am

Great design and nice drawing! I like the scalloped body or "german carve" or whatever it's called.

:)

BTW - To the angry guy... that's hardly a Tele headstock. It looks more like a miniature Coronado headstock to me...
Q. Are we not men?

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:40 am

Not bad, but I think the top bass side (where the strap button is) needs to be pulled in more or the lower treble side (where the controls are) needs to come out more, bigger belly, so to speak.  I think with one of those changes it would look more balanced...
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:04 am

Yeah, I agree.  She needs more booty.
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017, 2024

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:29 am

Funny, I've got a somewhat similar project in the works... :) (well, it's not nearly started, but I've been talking with my usual luthier about this)
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

5L1V3R
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 5L1V3R » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:24 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: BTW, Noobz can't be angry.  It's a rule. :D
>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:34 pm

fullerplast wrote: BTW - To the angry guy... that's hardly a Tele headstock. It looks more like a miniature Coronado headstock to me...
Yeah. Or more like a hybrid between Coronado and Starcaster (with that profile-routed swoosh line on the lower side) - should try the Starcaster thing with that line in same colour as the body. Nice.

+1 on the balance of the body-shape. I think you got it, but it needs a couple of more rounds on the drawing table.

Very nice first attempt though! - I like when things are drawn "for real" not only in a computer.... then again I'm old scool about most everything  ;)
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Hellion
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hellion » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Some headstocks turn me off, but not angry. I like that one. Is it thinner in the dark area or just painted?

Somebody knows how to draw!
What's he building in there?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:26 pm

Hellion wrote: Is it thinner in the dark area or just painted?
We'll never know, as the guy cancelled his account here....Couldn't take how rude we all are. ::)
Somebody knows how to draw!
Yep...But not how to communicate effectively through typing. :D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:59 pm

ZINGEROO!!!!!.. ' ;D
'cleanest, best pleasure'