Bass VI pickup advice needed

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
woster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bass VI pickup advice needed

Post by woster » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:05 am

Hopefully someone can help me out with this. I'm trying to figure out what pickups I should take to replace the stock ones in my CIJ Bass VI, as I find them to be rather uninspiring. I allready have a CS Bass VI, and I want the CIJ one to sound very different.

I'm thinking of a darker sound, with more bass and even more growl, but still has some highs. Custom wound pickups are a bit too expensive for me right now, so maybe a couple of Seymour Duncans QPs will do the job. Good choice, you think?

I usually play with either the neck&middle or neck&bridge pickups combinations. With one QP neck pickup and two bridge pickups installed I'll still be able to cancel hum, right? Also, what kind of pickup would you prefer as middle pickup: a neck or bridge?

As a quid pro quo, here's a pic of my CIJ VI (the über white pickup covers have allready been replaced  8) )

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bass VI pickup advice needed

Post by bulrich » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:39 pm

I would talk to Curtis Novak.
I was going to have him do something custom for the VI and he suggested:

" I have made a few pickups like the JM-FAT for the Jag.  it uses a longer magnet which gives more bobbin space so I can wind it w/ heavier wire.  this creates a pickup w/ a much lower resistance for the same output which creates a fuller fatter tone."

I use the QP Jag in the middle (bridge pup) and it's pretty great. 3 of those could be pretty interesting.
http://www.notifbutwhen.com/2/Offset-Basement.JPG

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm thinking of a darker sound, with more bass and even more growl, but still has some highs. Custom wound pickups are a bit too expensive for me right now, so maybe a couple of Seymour Duncans QPs will do the job. Good choice, you think?
This is exactly what I am doing with my USCG Bass VI build... I want a sound different to my vintage Bass VI. 

I got Curtis to make me some jaguar PUPs and then rather than the 250 k pots used on the Bass VI, I am using 1 Meg pots and having a smaller size capacitor 0.015uF rather than the standard 0.05uF.  Hopefully this will achieve a more modern sounding bass VI   ...   but we shall have to wait and see..

Curtis's Jag pups are very reasonable in priced
Last edited by sookwinder on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:45 am

sookwinder wrote: Curtis's Jag pups are very reasonable in priced
Yes. If I'm not mistaken, ordering from him directly is cheaper than buying Duncan PUs retail in NL. It's really worth looking into.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

woster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by woster » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks all for your advice. I thought I should go for Seymour Duncans and maybe order them at Guitar Parts Res. since they sell 'em for $58 and I assumed custom pups would cost something like $100. But I'll see what Novak can do for me. Thanks making me consider it after all!!!  :)