[JAGUAR] 65 Reissue meets Marr's improvements!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
iStringz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

[JAGUAR] 65 Reissue meets Marr's improvements!

Post by iStringz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I signed up to get a more in-depth view of what you guys around here do with your Jags and other Offsets.
To shortly introduce me again: my name is Vince, 20yrs old and I recently bought a brandnew 65 Reissue Jag in Ice Blue Metallic.

What's the idea?
Basically I'm not to happy with the switching of the Jag. Although you can tickle a lot of nice sounds out of that guitar, it annoys me how many times I switch something while I'm playing.
So I looked a bit around and since I know that one of my personal idols, Johnny Marr had a Jag, I checked a bit deeper on that one.
First I wanted to buy his Sig one, but I liked the Ice Blue Metallic way to much and I didn't knew the switching at the bottom would annoy me so much (I also thought the 3 switches look pretty cool, which they actually do). So I started checking the Sig and other Mods, leading me to the conclusion that Marr is a genius the way he solved it.

I know this may sound ridiculous and a bit stupid, because I could have bought a Sig one from the start without any problems. But as I said: I liked the Blue Ice Metallic way to much and wasn't knowing a lot about Jags, except they have a nice sound and looks.

And what would we all be here for if it wasn't for modding things?
So let me show you my Jag:

[img=http://abload.de/thumb/10942445_102039389030s4umb.jpg]

This was the Jag directly after I bought her. Actually now she also has a Buzz Stop (you guys now better than me that otherwise she would buzz till forever).

What parts are already here/ordered?
So I've already ordered all the necessary parts, such as:
  • Genuine Fender 4-way switch for Telecaster Mod
  • Genuine Fender Mustang Saddles
  • Some black switchtips for the Telecaster switch. (would actually prefer chrome ones, but couldn't find some)
What parts are still needed?
Parts I would need are the harder one to get:
  • Upper switch plate with 2 switches (all positions bright switch and humbucker position bright switch)
  • Lower switch plate (for the new Telecaster switch)
  • [Nice to have] Chrome switch tip
I'll keep you guys posted about this, obviously if anyone is interested in it
Best,

iStringz aka. Vince.
Last edited by iStringz on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current offsets: Fender Jaguar 65 AVRI IceBlueMetallic & Fender Jazzmaster LTD w/ Rosewood Neck Shell Pink.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: [JAGUAR] 65 Reissue meets Marr's improvements!

Post by pscates » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Hey there. There was a member here a while back - his name escapes me - who was making up a batch of various offset-style bridge and control plates. I didn't follow the entire thing and not sure what all came of it, but the samples he showed looked great...just the kind of stuff you're after: upper control plates with variations layouts, the hexagon pickup switch plates with various configurations (toggle, 3/5-way slider, angled Wronski slot, etc.), trem plates for 12-string, hardtail, etc.

Do a search for "custom cut jaguar plates" or something like that. Surely someone else will come along with his name and current info. Sounds like he was making exactly the parts you need.

His name had a number in it, but that's about all I remember.

As for the chrome Tele switch knob:

AllParts has chrome Tele switch knobs (the pic is a bit odd-looking).

And I saw this on eBay.

And GuitarPartsResource.com has some too. (top row, third from left)

PS - Your link above isn't working for me, no matter what I try. No pic of the Jaguar is showing up, just a blank page with some writing at the top.

Plast
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plast » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:08 pm

His nickname is Strider13. But his thread is in the secret crazy for sale section...

http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/p ... ates-10317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iStringz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iStringz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:38 am

Hi,

So the issue with the link should be resolved, allthough it was working when I created the post :derp:
Hope the guitar is visible now :)

Thanks for posting the links, but the problem is that I only got 2 possibilities that don't cost to much for me: either I buy all the parts in the UK (allparts.uk.com) or I find someone who can provide them cheap enough to Switzerland. Otherwise ordering from the US (for example the plates of Strider13) will cost me more or less a fortune.

Would love to know if there maybe is someone in the UK who can provide me with the same kind of service?

Best,
Vince
Current offsets: Fender Jaguar 65 AVRI IceBlueMetallic & Fender Jazzmaster LTD w/ Rosewood Neck Shell Pink.

arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arkivel » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:29 pm

The really should be a sticky thread for this because its such a popular mod around here. A number of members have attempted or completed it and they usually run into the same problems.

1. The wiring seems to be an issue even for luthiers. The pickups need to be specially grounded. Reference in these threads:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=86239

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =8&t=67657

2. The Marr plate is not a perfect match to a stock Jaguar body because the switch cavity is slightly too small for the Tele switch. There are three ways to fix this:

A. Buy a Dave Wronsky style plate which has an angled slot.
B. Modify the tele switch body by grounding off the excess metal so it fits in the cavity.
C. Chisel or remove wood from the body. - not recommended if you want to return it to stock later.

3. The switch cavity is also not very deep so the Tele switch can short easily if it scrapes against the brass shielding plate.

As for the plates, Rutters guitars makes real chrome plated ones for around $30 each. Unfortunately, he doesn't list them on his website and his turn around can be pretty long for plated stuff.

iStringz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iStringz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:06 am

Hi,

I quite like the idea of a sticky thread, maybe i'll create one with detailed instructions and a how to.
I will do this mod together with my luthier, since I'm not modding a quite costy '65 Reissue (and I think if I would do it all by myself, it wouldn't turn out as nice as I expect).
So I've read this threads, but it isn't really clear what they have done.
The first link was more of a confusing diary then a real instruction of how to do it...

Could we maybe create together an exact list of the mods that need to be done, especially regarding the wiring/grounding and the pickups (do they really need to be switched the other way round and the magnets too?)

Well to be honest, I don't mind to modify the cavity, since I believe that the 4way switch (as soon as it works) is a improvement. I don't think I will go back to the old switching system.
I thought about the Dave Wronsky plate, but I must say I like Johnny's version much better, even if that means some other mods to my Jag.
I need to check with my luthier about the switch.

Regarding the plates: many thanks for giving the advice. But I would really need one either in the UK or in Switzerland, otherwise the costs are way to high and I can also let them be done in Switzerland.
What I would like to know is: are there any plans of the plates? Where the holes need to be cut etc.?

And now let's get to the news: my parts arrived today! I'm currently in the UK and ordered some parts from the allparts shop.
Must say them guys have a really fast delivery.

So now I got the switch, the saddles and the switchtips (also a black pickguard just for fun, whenever I need a change).

I will keep you guys posted.

BTW: does anyone know hot to apply for a sticky thread?

Best,
iStringz aka. Vince.

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 am

I love that Lake Placid Blue - and the matching headstock! Drool.

Have you decided what order you want the 4 selector positions to occur in?

For the 4-way switching I'm gonna put on my modding project Jagmaster, I'm going with the following order cos it feels more intuitive to me:

- neck pick-up only
- both (parallel)
- both (series)
- bridge only

I can send you a link to a wiring diagram if you like.
Effects for Me & my Monkey
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/RSguitarEFFECTS

iStringz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iStringz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much, I also like the color most of all (reason why I didn't buy a Marr from the beginning. although it sounds a bit foolish..)
Regarding the switch: yes, I've already decided that I want to go for the original Johnny Marr switch layout.

Infact I don't know if I should push this to the next level and even try to call "Bare Knuckle" to ask them if they sell me the custom Marr Pickups.
Since they're based in the UK and I'm currently here, I more and more like this crazy idea.

What do you guys think about it? ::)
Do you think it will make a huge difference or is it more than likely unnecessary?

Best,
Vince

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:11 pm

Well, I never understand the mentaility of a buying a new expensive guitar only to then mod it, but that's just me. Although, I'm not really in the right forum section to say that I guess, LOL.

iStringz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iStringz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Guys,

Today I've been in various guitar shops around London and checked for a Marr Jaguar and a 65 like the one I have, to put them in a 1 vs. 1 comparison.
And to be honest: I would have expected more from the Marr Jaguar. It's a great instrument for sure, the built quality is very good, but I must say in Terms of sound I like the 65 better.
So the plan of getting some Bare Knuckle Pickups is getting cancelled, i'll stick with the 65 ones.
Next thing I noticed: even though the mod with a tele switch is a quite good idea, it seems that on some "original" Marr Jags it doesn't work as smooth as it's supposed to run.
I had the feeling that sometimes I had to force the switch in an abnormal way to change between the pickups.

The only improvements that I would like to do now is to change the original Jag saddles with some Mustang ones and to do the stay-trem mod.
I'm not sure about the tele mod anymore, as it requires the plates (which for me are pretty hard and costy to get) and some patience with the setup (since even the factory made Marr ones appear to have issues with the tele switch).
Will need to sleep over that, otherwise I'll just keep the tele switch in case I get struck by the lightning and change my mind.
I will try to apply the settings as soon as possible.

Best,
Vince

Ro_S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ro_S » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm

I like that you're reverting to leaving it more as stock and seeing how it goes. :)

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I was the OP in the first link (the diary thread!). I am glad I got mine sorted but WILL NEVER attempt it again. I figured it out but would never remember exactly how I did it. The strangest part was the last problem where I would lose series position when I screwed down the top plate. I had to make sure the top chrome plate didn't touch the shielding tape I put in. This is beyond weird to me because the fender diagram has all plates grounded to each other. I still don't understand what happened but it works and the cavities of that guitar will never again see the light of day. If you can live with the traditional jag switches I would just do the normal series mod on those.

somebodyelseuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somebodyelseuk » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Hiya,
I'm doing the same to a Squier VM... when the plates arrive. I'm in Birmingham UK, and I've found that unless you find someone to make them for you, nobody 'stocks' plates in the UK. I toyed with getting a local laser cutting company to do them just as one of the US guys contacted me. They're not cheap, but other than making them myself, I don't see there being a cheaper alternative.
I'm actually going to make a pair using offcuts of scratchplate material in the next few days, so I can get on with it while I wait for the metal ones.

Regarding costs, I got my 4 way, made by the same people who supply them to Fender, for a quarter of what Fender charges.

iStringz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by iStringz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi guys,

So just to keep you a bit updated: I've called around to some other local shops, and one of them had all of the Marr Jags, in every finish.
So I went down to that shop to try all the 3 of the and I noticed that every single guitar had at least one or two positions in which I was not to happy about the switch and how it handled.
Obviously then I've (again) asked for a 65 Jag and they gave me a beautiful object in Candy Apple Red.
More and more I'm getting along with the "traditional" switches and I believe I will stick to them.

So now basically I'm going to concentrate on the Bridge. I want to solve the issue of the bridge falling down while playing. Guess here I'll stick with Marr's idea to put some bushings at the screws.
Does anyone know if one can buy them? And second thing is obviously the change of the saddles.

Know you may ask what to do with the 4 way switch?
Well actually I would like to look out for a Jazzmaster to mod with that switch. I believe it would look cool and isn't as much work as on a Jag (I would do the cut-out directly into the pickguard) but that's a different idea.

Anyway, as for now, I will leave it original from an esthetic point of view (besides of the mustang saddles) and maybe convert the high pass filter into the series option.

What do you guys think? Any other methods/ideas on how to get the series function without changing esthetics?

Best,
Vince.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:30 pm

iStringz wrote:So now basically I'm going to concentrate on the Bridge. I want to solve the issue of the bridge falling down while playing. Guess here I'll stick with Marr's idea to put some bushings at the screws.
Or just use a tiny amount of Loc-tite (blue or purple) on the height adjustment fasteners?
And second thing is obviously the change of the saddles.
I found a Mustang bridge counter-productive on my AVRI. The string spacing is too wide leading to the two 'E' strings being too close to the edge of the fretboard for my tastes.

I setup the stock bridge properly with a small amount of Loc-tite blue on every fastener and haven't had to touch it since. YMMV.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.