GFS Goldfoil pickups - now with comparison clips!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
blowtorch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: GFS Goldfoil pickups - now with comparison clips!

Post by blowtorch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 am

Hi guys I registered here just to post on this

I put a singlecoil ferrite one of these in the bridge of this:

I am very happy with it

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:35 am

^Wow... that came out great! Looks bitchin' 8) Congrats!

Toots
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Toots » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:40 am

mynameisjonas wrote:Heh, I went the other way... I made mine not look like gold foils. The asymmetrical cutouts in the covers were bothering me, so I decided to make them look more in line with the Hi Flier's original pickups.
Good call. The humbucker format is great but I think they should have made their own thing on the covers.
Looks good now.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 am

mynameisjonas wrote:
AWSchmit wrote:Did you add what's white on that pickup or was that what was under the cover?
No, underneath the cover there's just a sheet of gold foil, and then this:

The semi-transparent plastic comes from an empty shampoo bottle I dug out of our recycling bin, and the open covers/frames are the cheapest ones I could find on eBay. It was all very quick and easy to do, although I had to make little cutouts in the new covers for the mounting tabs, to get them on all the way. I guess since there's no magnet under the coil, these are quite a bit flatter than a standard humbucker, so standard covers are too deep.
Cool. Upcycling might be one of my favorite things.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Very cool using what you used mynameisjonas. I bet they smell soapy fresh too!

It would have been neat if they'd come up with their own design/pattern but it makes sense going the way they did. I have to say though a mustache cover would have been sweet. More accurate to the pickup they were basing it off of, no? Their cover is more similar to the Teiscos isn't it?

I'm wondering now if the gold foil mini hum single coils on eBay are of similar build to the GFS pickups. The output is almost double though. They look really nice but too hot for me.

Welcome to the forum blowtorch. That's a cool looking guitar you have, really like the color and it's always nice seeing wacky designs that just work. Is it a Pure Salem?

blowtorch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blowtorch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:11 am

Wonder Council, PureSalem, yes. A prototype, actually. I also have two "moderne" types from the company

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:31 pm

This thread proves that My Les Paul.com is completely different than OSG:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthier ... ugghh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's basically the opposite of this thread... lol. I found it while looking into more single coil yet humbucker looking pickups.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:47 pm

My bridge pickup came today! I am heading home after work to see how it will fit in my VM JM body.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Height wise, it is going to fit just fine! The one thing I have to figure out is how to attach the pickup ring for the pickup to attach to. I am thinking of making using some standoff tubs and long screws through them into the body under them. The other option would be to glue in some small pieces of wood to form the sides that would be needed to hold the ring in place.

IS there a right or wrong way to do this?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:03 am

salty wrote:Height wise, it is going to fit just fine! The one thing I have to figure out is how to attach the pickup ring for the pickup to attach to. I am thinking of making using some standoff tubs and long screws through them into the body under them. The other option would be to glue in some small pieces of wood to form the sides that would be needed to hold the ring in place.

IS there a right or wrong way to do this?
I thought the pickup ring is mounted to the pickguard on blacktop JMs..?

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:03 am

There are corners that protrude on the pickup route that the ring screws into and the wider JM route has nothing to screw it into. :( I am leaning toward long screws with tall nylon bushings to hold it in place. That way it would be easy to drop a JM pickup in alter if I so desired.

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 am

AWSchmit wrote:This thread proves that My Les Paul.com is completely different than OSG:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthier" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ugghh.html

It's basically the opposite of this thread... lol. I found it while looking into more single coil yet humbucker looking pickups.
one more reason for me to disdain Gibson.
That sort of single-coil HB was everywhere in the 70's, amazing so many guitar guys were shocked by that. From the description it sounds like one of those hondo-esque lp copies, which I kinda dig.
this thread makes me want to try some of those gfs singles. I like the p90-sized model. It looks more like the big teisco pickups.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:45 am

salty wrote:There are corners that protrude on the pickup route that the ring screws into and the wider JM route has nothing to screw it into. I am leaning toward long screws with tall nylon bushings to hold it in place. That way it would be easy to drop a JM pickup in alter if I so desired.
This thread might help you out, or give you some food for though: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=12539

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:04 am

mizbiz wrote:This thread might help you out, or give you some food for though: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=12539

Thanks for the link. Yeah, the pickguard I am using is cut for the humbucker already. I am going to try and use longer screws with nylon bushings. The other idea was just to use long screws through some wood pieces and into the body. It would give it a bit more to rest on, but honestly I think the nylon spacers should be fine as long as the screws are long enough.

Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soggasaurus » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:18 am

Potentially stupid question I probably should have asked a while ago alert:

When I installed the Ferrite Humbucker sized single coils in Jag I put them in with the pole pieces facing the standard humbucker way (closest to the neck on the neck pickup, closest to the bridge on the bridge pickup), but I see some people have put them in the reverse way like Toots' Hi Flier. Is there a right way to orient them or does it not matter? For the record I'm happy with the way mine sound currently, I just don't know if I'm missing anything if they are meant to go the other way