Any input on Novak's "alternative" pickups for Jazzmaster ? (Fat/CC/Jm-HC)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Any input on Novak's "alternative" pickups for Jazzmaster ? (Fat/CC/Jm-HC)

Post by k o y l » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:40 pm

I continue my pickup chase and try to consider every possibilty offered..

I'm very curious about those Curtis Novaks Pickups:

The JM-CC Rod: http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/jm-ccr.shtml
Basically a Charlie Christian-style P-90 made to fit a Jazzmaster.

I'm very curious about this kind of pickup for a long time. I like what I read about it, especially the Fat, Hot but very clear tone quality... but I'm wondering how much it's hot and fat.. and I'm afraid there would be too Fat & hot so any comparisons to other pups would be nice to read.

I must admit that, apart from a few read I made on the web, I'm not too familiar with CC style pups so any input about any CC type pup will be greatly appreciated.

The JM-FAT :http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/jm-fat.shtml
Jazzmaster® / with Strat magnets and fatter wire. also described as a CC with strat magnet and a more fender tone

I've always like the idea of a pup between a P90 and Fender and the desciption tend to remove the fear I have with the CC being too hot, not sparkly enough...
I know I would be very lucky if someone here tried it so for any input about this pup will be rewarded with a big hug !  :)

btw, my idea would be to put one of those pup in the neck position and a PAF in the bridge position
Last edited by k o y l on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any input on Novak's "alternative" pickups for Jazzmaster ? (Fat/CC)

Post by StevenO » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:01 pm

I was very interested in the JM-FAT when I asked for advice on pickups. I was kind of disappointed when Curtis told me that the JM-V would be fine, in a weird way. I'm interested in hearing it. I'll probably get one for a future project or something like that. Like if I can somehow find a CIJ jazzmaster to use as a beater.

Sounds like we liked the same thing about the JM-FAT and I sort of want a PAF in my bridge as well.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:46 pm

So he didn't comment on the JM-FAT at all ?... too bad, I would have been very interested to hear what he told you..

I go back and forth about the PAF (as I fo about the FWR..  ::) ): I would be very interested in having a 0 noise pup and the PAF is still sparkly for a HB but right now, i'm watching a video of an Iggy Pop show: Both guitarists play LesPaul + Marshalls, the solo guy has HBs, probably PAF's and the rhythm guy has P90 and it's obvious the P90 sounds better and cut through far much than the PAFs. Both guitar players are mixed on the same volume but you can barely hear the guy with the HBs when he plays rhythm too !  :o  so I'm lost again ! (you should have a smiley that shoot his head with a gun.. it would be very useful..  :D )
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

fourmations
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fourmations » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:15 pm

hi all

I have one of the JM-fats for a few months and really like it

it has a stratty feel off it alright, i prefer it
to the both the JM-V bridge and the JM-90 (which I also have)
the JM-90 is cracking for leads but not so nice for cleans IMO

I suppose its all personal, but my JM is the only fender I own
so I like the versatility of the JM-fat in the bridge
and use it much more that the JM-V bridge or the 90

the JM-V neck is a no-brainer IMO - its perfect
So the JM-V neck is a permanent fixture
and i have a variety of three bridge pups to play with  8)

rgds

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks a lot for the input !  *hug  :-*  (I do what I said !  :D )

Where would you place the JM-Fat compared to the Jm-V and Jm-90 in terms of output and tonal balance ?

If you say the Fat is more usable for clean sounds, I guess it has less mids and maybe more treble... ??

Steven, now that I read fourmations post, it occured to me that maybe the Jm-FAT id only available for the bridge position (that's why Curtis adviced you to choose the jm-v) ... I would be interested in having it in the neck position..  :(

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:35 pm

k o y l wrote: Steven, now that I read fourmations post, it occured to me that maybe the Jm-FAT id only available for the bridge position (that's why Curtis adviced you to choose the jm-v) ... I would be interested in having it in the neck position..  :(
I was under the impression of that as well but Curtis said he can make it for any position because it's custom. He suggested I get one of those or a PAF for the bridge in the future and just stick with a JM-V for the neck.

In other words, you can get it made for neck position.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:14 pm

OK , good to know. thanks.

Hellion
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hellion » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:31 pm

I have the JM-CC but it sits on a shelf, waiting for the rest of the guitar. One guy is blocking the bound neck in Georgia and another guy is binding the body in Wisconsin. I'll let you know how it sounds someday. I also have some Novak Filtertrons that I don't know what to do with. I was trying to use them in another project but ran into trouble owing to threading them through a hollow body. (I bought them used and they were custom jobbies with 5-wires). I will never use 5s again if I can help it.
What's he building in there?

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:51 am

I'll be very happy to hear about how the CC sounds like.
I'm more and more curious about this pickup.. from what I hear on the Jazzmasterjam.com soundclips, it's like a fatter version of a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (which is a kind of clearer P90) and I think I would like it very much if my feel about it reveals to be right.

It coud be  interesting for me to go for a Jm-CC in the bridge and a Jm-HB or a Phat Cat in the neck, a sort of fatter sounding tele custom sound.  :-*

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any input on Novak's "alternative" pickups for Jazzmaster ? (Fat/CC/Jm-HB)

Post by k o y l » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:54 am

I'd also interested in hearing about the Jm-HC.
A Standard PAF style Bobbin with Fender Jazzmaster Rod Magnets pressed into the bobbin which gives a rather unique sound.
http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/jm-hc.shtml

Anyone ?

Fenderbassman...man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Any input on Novak's

Post by Fenderbassman...man » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:42 am

Interesting cause he suggested a JM-FAT to me when i was in the market for jazzmaster pickups.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any input on Novak's

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:28 am

Fenderbassman...man wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:42 am
Interesting cause he suggested a JM-FAT to me when i was in the market for jazzmaster pickups.
Same here. BUT, I sent an inquiry with a sound example of what I was looking for...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384