Behind-the-bridge Pickup projects

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Behind-the-bridge Pickup projects

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Sinuata wrote:This is kinda weird, but I recently did the same tuneable tele 3rd-bridge thing with a parts guitar:

Still needs a pickguard & proper mount for the lipstick, but cosmetics aside it works fine.
The math for working out what pitch you'll get for a given string length is pretty straight-forward so you can work out a musically useful position for the 3rd bridge. Mine has the BTB part of each string tuned to a perfect 4th a couple of octaves above the main part of the (open) string. I can get about a minor third of tunability from adjusting the tele bridge saddles, so as long as the placement is reasonably close you should be okay.
Playing in the normal in-front-of-the-bridge position but with only the BTB pickup on yields a very cool sound.

this thing is giving me GAS...

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:12 pm

SquareWaveFuzz wrote:
WonderCouncil wrote: Would the notes still be in key if it was 1/4 the scale? At 1/2 the scale length they would be in key but an octave higher correct? I was trying to measure and figure how how the hell you'd get 12" behind the bridge the other night What is the distance between the bridge and where the ball ends feed thru on the tremolo?

I would think you'd need saddles on the tail piece to compensate for the saddle positions on the guitars regular bridge. If you were looking to get exact tuning or 1/4 the scale.
Yes, it will still be in key, the notes behind the bridge will be 2 octaves higher instead of 1 octave higher
Thanks, yea after making that post I realized you had already posted pictures of your LP. :fp: Still as awesome looking as the first time I saw it. :?

sduret
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sduret » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:47 am

I'm having an nrfb shaped jazzmaster built with a lipstick pickup btb. Here's how we're doing it:

Jazzprod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jazzprod » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:14 pm

Been doing these "Sonic Belinda's" with such a feature:

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:46 am

Hey!

I'm a bit late to this party! But I'm heavily thinking about getting a Squier either J Mascis JM or a VM JM or JAG - just to make it a mean noise machine!
If I'm going the JAG-Way... I'd go with 3 lipstick pickups just because a JAG hasn't yet enough chrome...

Sadly I can't see the pics you posted on the last few sites - except for the pickups on the last 2 sites or so...

Has anyone of you sound files/videos of how your finished behind-the-bridge-project sounds? and actualized photos - how they look like?

Thanks in advance!