more lipstick in jaguar talk

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

more lipstick in jaguar talk

Post by niksureal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:46 pm

i know the danelectro sized lipsticks are the ones that most closely fit the routing/pickguard holes but how the hell do you mount them? i know how they are mounted in a danelectro (pickup height screw-holes all the way through the guitar) but i dont wanna drill all the way through my jag. does anyone know how oliver ackermann or tom verlaine mounted them in their guitars?
there isnt enough room on each side of the pickups to allow for mounting screws like on a strat or mustang or other standard mounted pickups.

fun pics:

Spitshaded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: more lipstick in jaguar talk

Post by Spitshaded » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 pm

If you haven't bought the pickups already, you can always just get these
http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/jag-lipstick.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joeld
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeld » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm guessing these lipsticks are the type that are mounted on a long flat brass bassplate.

If that's the case I assume they are screwed lightly into the body? or you would just make a two screw holes on the pickguard for each pickup?

I seem to remember seeing a picture of one of Oliver Ackermann's Jags with two holes drilled into the pickguard?

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Spitshaded wrote:If you haven't bought the pickups already, you can always just get these
http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/jag-lipstick.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
those would be so amazing but they are beyond my budget.
joeld wrote:I'm guessing these lipsticks are the type that are mounted on a long flat brass bassplate.

If that's the case I assume they are screwed lightly into the body? or you would just make a two screw holes on the pickguard for each pickup?

I seem to remember seeing a picture of one of Oliver Ackermann's Jags with two holes drilled into the pickguard?
i dont think they were on the brass bassplate, danelectro pickups always seem to have been on the taller legs and mounted from the back of the body.
if they were the longer/brass bassplate they would be too long to fit in the pickup routs without removing some wood.
the novak ones use the mounting like the brass plate ones but look to be on much shorter plates (hence the "no mod").

i have a couple ideas as to how i could possibly do it but they would all be fairly "hack-job-y"
oliver ackermann seems to have lipsticks in most of his guitars, so he must have some super great/secret way of doing it.
maybe he just uses the novak ones. confirm this curtis? :)

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by _nash » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:39 am

I put Seymour Duncan lipsticks in my Jag a while back (10+old Duncan's) just to see if I like it. The ones I have basically work like strat pups. I mounted them in my Jag just like Jag pups though. The mounting hole spacing was close enough to use the original holes. The original pickguard did not cover the mounting screws of course, I was just testing it so I didn't get a new pickguard cut.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:57 am

I'm guessing he uses the strat drop in style (the legs on the others look too long- I imagine they'd sit way too high- and custom pickguards with smaller pickup openings.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:59 am

Hmm... well, no, the pickups on the one pictured (which existed before Novak was officially making these) are the same width as the bridge just like regular jag pickups- maybe he remounts them?

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am

noisepunk wrote:Hmm... well, no, the pickups on the one pictured (which existed before Novak was officially making these) are the same width as the bridge just like regular jag pickups- maybe he remounts them?
Yeah, I figure he either mounts them to something else or modifies the existing mounting legs. I just imagine there is some way that is easy enough and secure enough. Just need some suggestions on how one would mod a dano pickup to fit in a jaguar.

joeld
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeld » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:41 pm

I would be interested to know also, as I am thinking of ways to mount Dano style lipsticks differently!

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:55 pm

I'd be extremely curious how they are mounted as well. I'm guessing if it's not mounted through the body Danelectro style then it's some how secured/screwed down into body. If they had the longer brass base plate for pickguard mounting it would need routing (that was mentioned already I think). So if it is indeed routed at all it kind of begs the question why mount into the body rather then the guard.

The only thing that comes to my mind is if the original aluminum legs were cut down and bent in such a way as to allow for mounting into the wood. I know they are easy enough to bend and some what shape by hand. I'll have to see if I have a picture of the lipstick I had mounted in a similar way. More or less bent the legs out and shortened them, then just put a screw through the aluminum into the wood. Wasn't height adjustable but it worked.

On a some what related note I had come up with this for mounting the Danelectro sized pickups into a humbucker slot. It does require a new guard, but no routing.
This is the rough version of it. I redid it with some aluminum sheet I picked up at the hardware store and used smaller/thinner adjustment screws. Same basic idea though. The three screws are for height adjustment, they are screwed into tapped holes in the base plate and obviously springs would go between the two. The pickup it mounted to the plate exactly how it mounts to the Danelectro legs.

Few other pictures of the mount I used. Currently have an SG set up in the manner.
http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t259 ... hone%20SG/

mitchellorchris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mitchellorchris » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:04 pm

found this on another thread talking about olivers guitar:

i once talked to oliver about his guitar, they are pickups from a charvel surfcaster, so they are chandler lipstick pickups. hunting them down isnt so much expensive, as it can be futile, it took me quite a few months to track a decent pair down.

i think its like a long legged dano pickup just with a larger case? andsome shorter legs

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:17 pm

I was going to mention the Surfcaster thing but couldn't remember if he was the only using them. They are the longer Dano' style pickups but have a long flat base plate so they mount like a normal pickup, to the guard. He would have had to route the cavities longer or change the base plate out on them.

Here's a quick picture of the Surfcaster pickups for reference.

I guess what it comes down to is if it's routed or a new base plate. Although if it was a new plate in the same size route wouldn't the ends of the pickup case hang over where the screws would be going into the body? I.E. how would you screw them into the body, unless they are bent up in little legs but even then it seems like it would be a bigger hassle then it's worth just to save from routing.

mitchellorchris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mitchellorchris » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:28 pm

WonderCouncil wrote:I was going to mention the Surfcaster thing but couldn't remember if he was the only using them. They are the longer Dano' style pickups but have a long flat base plate so they mount like a normal pickup, to the guard. He would have had to route the cavities longer or change the base plate out on them.

Here's a quick picture of the Surfcaster pickups for reference.

I guess what it comes down to is if it's routed or a new base plate. Although if it was a new plate in the same size route wouldn't the ends of the pickup case hang over where the screws would be going into the body? I.E. how would you screw them into the body, unless they are bent up in little legs but even then it seems like it would be a bigger hassle then it's worth just to save from routing.
i feel like you could just bend the sides down a little so u could put the screws in without the pickup getting in the way and screw the screws in under the guard to the desired height and replace the guard.
i think thats how he prolly mounted them in there to make it look un altered

i still would like to try some lipsticks in my jag

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:41 pm

That's pretty much what I had done with a Dano' pickup and the aluminum legs for it. I think with the Surfcaster ones though you'd have to bend them at like a 90 degree angle for it to fit the stock routing even. Unless he cut them down and then bent them then. It does look like they mount to the brass plate towards the center like Danelectro ones do. So you would have a little room to play with for where you make the bend.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:59 pm

I feel like the easiest solution would be to just use strat drop ins and make a custom pickguard to accommodate, I could be wrong though.