Johnny Marr jaguar conversion

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Fretbug
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Johnny Marr jaguar conversion

Post by Fretbug » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi all, I have just completed the Johnny Marr pup selector switch mod using one of Stereordinary's awesome plates, thought I'd share some pics.

This is a 10 year old Japan Jaguar which already had the bridge changed for a Mustang when I got it. I have changed out the trem arm/bush for the Johnny one which is just as advertised - no play at all and no 'arm flop' either. But the big mod for me is the 4 way tele switch mod which I finished this afternoon and what a mod it is....

If you aren't already aware the four positions are;
Bridge
Bridge and neck parallel
Neck
Bridge and neck series
This last position is the new one and it is a major addition to any Jag, like a really bouncy tight humbucker, as you would expect this is kind of like a 'bucker stuck bang in between the two pups, dark but with enough brightness from the bridge to offset it, with a little vol boost into the bargain - heaven!

If you are doing this mod yourself and find that the switching isn't working as expected then check that your end positions have enough room to go all the way to the end of travel, my switch had a thick blade coming up through the slot and I needed to file it a little thinner to allow it to get to the end position properly (easier to do this than make a mess of the plate). I guess it will be down to the supplier of the switch, I put a pic in to show the filing.

Now on the JM Jag there is a tone switch to take some of the bottom end out of this position and the original low cut switch as well on the top control panel, but I never really used the existing tone switch much and on balance I use the jazz circuit. I can see why JM would need the switching to get the trademark jangle cutting through but it's 'horses for courses' and I am more than happy which 5 tones to choose from. 

As soon as I can I'll get some sound clips up so you can see what I am on about but in the mean time here's the pics...

Tyrannocaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr jaguar conversion

Post by Tyrannocaster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:10 am

I think that is great functionally (really neat sound options) but I can't get past the look of that switch. It just seems...wrong. :) But if it gives you those sounds...well, can't argue with that.
My tunes can always be found at https://hearthis.at/tyrannocaster/

Nayberg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nayberg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Cool! :)

I kind of want that series option, but to keep the strangle-switch at the same time. I would like everything to be just as normal, except to have the pickups in series when both pickup-switches are down (when they´re both turned off normally).

I can´t really find any instructions on how to do this anywhere. Does anyone have any experience with that kind of mod?

Jefflee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jefflee » Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 am

Nayberg wrote:Cool!

I kind of want that series option, but to keep the strangle-switch at the same time. I would like everything to be just as normal, except to have the pickups in series when both pickup-switches are down (when they´re both turned off normally).

I can´t really find any instructions on how to do this anywhere. Does anyone have any experience with that kind of mod?
http://www.1728.org/guitar10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaded » Tue May 01, 2012 7:17 am

Nayberg wrote:Cool!

http://musicwrench.blogspot.co.uk/2009/ ... g-mod.html

Nice and easy to follow, did it to two of my jags just the other week (albeit with the out of phase switch).

The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Tue May 01, 2012 7:18 am

Series is a great option on a Jaguar. I tried it on a Tele and found it too muddy, but it sounds awesome on a Jag.

ifallalot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ifallalot » Tue May 01, 2012 7:22 am

The Dead Ranch Hands wrote:Series is a great option on a Jaguar. I tried it on a Tele and found it too muddy, but it sounds awesome on a Jag.
I found your page on ReverbNation. AWESOME STUFF!!!

The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Tue May 01, 2012 7:26 am

ifallalot wrote:
The Dead Ranch Hands wrote:Series is a great option on a Jaguar. I tried it on a Tele and found it too muddy, but it sounds awesome on a Jag.
I found your page on ReverbNation. AWESOME STUFF!!!
Thanks!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu May 24, 2012 9:36 am

Very nice conversion. I'm thinking of doing the same for my CIJ Jag. Where did you get the switch selector with the Jag-based switch plate or did you simply cut through the existing switch plate?

I'd still like to snag a Johnny Marr Sig Jag some day but I'm looking forward to having this done to my Jag.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu May 24, 2012 2:20 pm

Nevermind - Stereordinary (Paul) hooked me up! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu May 24, 2012 9:53 pm

I know it's minor, but the sculpted sides of the Tele switch look great - as does the rest of the guitar. How do you like the operation of the Staytrem?

Davidvan75
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Davidvan75 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 am

Hello? Where can I get one of the Stereoordinary plates to do this mod to my 50th anniversary Jag? Thanks!

mikeytee1000
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikeytee1000 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Davidvan75 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 am
Hello? Where can I get one of the Stereoordinary plates to do this mod to my 50th anniversary Jag? Thanks!
Rockrabbitguitars.com supply the Johnny Marr control plates I think they are 59.99 USD for the set, somebody posted on here about it recently. Good luck.