Wiring diagram 3 way toggle switch on jag?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
sonicad
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Wiring diagram 3 way toggle switch on jag?

Post by sonicad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi
I've got one of stereorindary's 3 way toggle switch plates coming. Has anyone got a wiring diagram/ photos of the lead circuit with this mod? I have a jag hh but it has fralin p92s fitted so is wired like single coils. The switch is fairly obvious to me, I'm just not sure of how the strangle switch figures in this set up.
Cheers guys

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wiring diagram 3 way toggle switch on jag?

Post by empyrean » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:25 pm

This is what I did to my jag - thanks to HNB for the diagram. My rhythm circuit toggle became my strangle, not sure if that figures into what you're hoping to do, but it might help you figure out what you need.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:37 pm

If this doesn't work for you, I can make one that is more normal Jag but with a toggle. Let me know.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 am

I didn't hear back yet, but tossed a diagram together just in case. All I changed was a toggle where the two switches would be. Everything else is normal. I think that is what you wanted?

Jaguar Toggle Mod by Eleventh Division LLC, on Flickr
Last edited by HNB on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

sonicad
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sonicad » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 am

HNB wrote:I didn't hear back yet, but tossed a diagram together just in case. All I changed was a toggle where the two switches would be. Everything else is normal. I think that is what you wanted?

JaguarToggleMod by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Fantastic that's was just what I was after, you sir are a star! Thank you

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 am

Happy to help. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

distortYourself
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by distortYourself » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 am

I'm looking to install a 3-Way Switch in to my Jag HH. I've been wanting to do it for years and seeing the Johnny Marr jag has finally convinced me to start.

Ideally, I want the switch to be: Neck/Both/Bridge. [I couldn't care less about not having the strangle switch]

Could somebody please help me figure out what I need to do to wire it correctly.

thepastrecedes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thepastrecedes » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:48 am

distortYourself wrote:I'm looking to install a 3-Way Switch in to my Jag HH. I've been wanting to do it for years and seeing the Johnny Marr jag has finally convinced me to start.

Ideally, I want the switch to be: Neck/Both/Bridge. [I couldn't care less about not having the strangle switch]

Could somebody please help me figure out what I need to do to wire it correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41339" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enjoy!
Game Of T0NZ

distortYourself
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by distortYourself » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:03 pm

thanks! Thats exactly what I needed. Much appreciated

agrpap
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agrpap » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:22 am

Hello! I just want to swap out the pickup switches for a 3-way toggle and keep the strangle switch just to the right of it. I have the plate, all that's set. The only diagram I can see on this thread is somewhat helpful, but I can't really tell what's going on between the toggle and strangle. It looks like the cap is in a different place than the traditional schematic? I can't tell. I have a switchcraft short toggle as the Fender toggle won't fit in the cavity. I'm finding it extremely difficult to find diagrams for what seems to be a fairly innocuous mod. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:18 pm

@HNB's diagram above should do what you want. It shows two terminals of the standard strangle slide switch - you leave that as is (cap between middle and outer terminal; outer terminal goes to tone pot).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

agrpap
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agrpap » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Thank you, TimTam! I will give it a shot. I know I'm over-thinking this

agrpap
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agrpap » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Well, I'm still unsure. From what I can make out from the diagram, You wire the ground lug from the toggle to the middle terminal with the cap, and the outer terminal with the cap to the tone pot. What becomes of the output lugs on the toggle? Does that get wired along with the green from the rhythm circuit to the output?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 am

That toggle switch drawing may be somewhat unclear. It's just wired as a standard pickup selector, with the middle setting getting both pickups. Same as the jazzmaster below. If you look closely at a Fender toggle switch you can see that the middle tab is continuous with the switch body only; it is not involved in the actual switching. Thus the ground connection to it is just to ground the switch body / plate.

The two outputs of the toggle are tied together as shown in the diagram (only one will be connected to a pickup in the up/down positions), and go to the middle terminal of the strangle switch, which is otherwise unchanged. The outer terminal of the strangle switch then goes to the tone pot (ie. also unchanged).

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

agrpap
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agrpap » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks again, TimTam! You are very kind to put up with my ignorance and bewilderment. I really appreciate it. I'm new to this and just sick of going to the tech for every little thing. It's emasculating.
OK...so I have the neck and bridge wired according to the HNB diagram, will ground the toggle to the plate. Now, I'm using a short Switchcraft straight switch, which has two lugs on the opposite side of neck, bridge, ground for "output."
What I'm still unsure of is where that goes if not to the hot lug on the jack?