Wiring diagram 3 way toggle switch on jag?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wiring diagram 3 way toggle switch on jag?

Post by timtam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:16 pm

OK so it's this style of switch ?
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Ele ... tches.html

The two outputs should be tied together, and go to the middle terminal of the strangle switch, where one leg of the capacitor should already be attached, as shown in @HNB's diagram.

On a Jaguar the hot output to the output jack comes from the rhythm/lead switch.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

agrpap
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by agrpap » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Yep, that's the switch. The Fender switch wouldn't fit in the cavity and I'm not keen to rout it out. I think I have all I need now. You rule!!

SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SY6655321 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 pm

distortYourself wrote: Image
Do you mind if I add this diagram to this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108816

Danelectro84
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Danelectro84 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 am

Hi im.new here, First post, so cheers!
i got a similar problem with my VM Squier jag. I want to use a 3 way Blade switch of a tele model (like the Johnny marr buy 3way intead of 4) as a normal bridge-both-neck pickups, and a 2pos switch like the regular jag on the upper plate in which i would like to switch between series/parallel pick up configuration in the middle position on the lower 3way Blade switch. Can u help me with the diagram?
PS. I found On the Squier jag the ground under the lower Bush of the bridge, and not soldered.
This Is very shitty cause if i lose the ground i have to pull off the bushes. In the American version diagrams i see they connect ground on the rear tremolo unit. How ti do this?
Pps. I read a normal 3way fender tele Is too Deep for the cavity? Did i hear right? How.to.solve It? I Just bought the Blade switch plate like the marr..
Thx.guys.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:47 am

Danelectro84 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 am
i got a similar problem with my VM Squier jag. I want to use a 3 way Blade switch of a tele model (like the Johnny marr buy 3way intead of 4) as a normal bridge-both-neck pickups, and a 2pos switch like the regular jag on the upper plate in which i would like to switch between series/parallel pick up configuration in the middle position on the lower 3way Blade switch. Can u help me with the diagram?
PS. I found On the Squier jag the ground under the lower Bush of the bridge, and not soldered.
This Is very shitty cause if i lose the ground i have to pull off the bushes. In the American version diagrams i see they connect ground on the rear tremolo unit. How ti do this?
Pps. I read a normal 3way fender tele Is too Deep for the cavity? Did i hear right? How.to.solve It? I Just bought the Blade switch plate like the marr..
Thx.guys.
You want the 3-way blade switch wiring part (only) from the Wronski 3-position jag here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41339
Reddish wire to that switch is neck pickup output (hot).

And then you want to re-purpose the DPDT rhythm/lead switch for series/parallel as shown by puisheen (Mike Adams) here for JM, but same for jag:
https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/ ... t-guitars/

This is the vintage jag circuit. The places where the above two mods slot in should be relatively clear. It's always best to write a list of connections to be removed and those to be added, and just work your way through it.

Re the thimble ground, if it's broken off you can easily lift out the thimble with a 6mm expansion bolt (or plastic wall plug/screw anchor for concrete walls). Re-strip the wire ends to lie against the outer thimble wall. Similar for TOM bridge bushing if you have that bridge (there are tricks to removing those). If you want to ground the trem it requires a wire tunnel from the main cavity to the trem cavity. You only need one ground (bridge or trem) to ground the strings, but there's no harm in having both. Some guitars have the tunnel, some don't. Drilling one is easiest with a long "aircraft" drill bit.

Blade switches usually fit but it helps to measure relative depths first. The tabs may need to be bent to clear the bottom.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Danelectro84
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Danelectro84 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:21 am

timtam wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:47 am
Danelectro84 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:30 am
Thx.guys.
You want the 3-way blade switch wiring part (only) from the Wronski 3-position jag here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41339
Reddish wire to that switch is neck pickup output (hot).

And then you want to re-purpose the DPDT rhythm/lead switch for series/parallel as shown by puisheen (Mike Adams) here for JM, but same for jag:
https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/ ... t-guitars/

This is the vintage jag circuit. The places where the above two mods slot in should be relatively clear. It's always best to write a list of connections to be removed and those to be added, and just work your way through it.

Re the thimble ground, if it's broken off you can easily lift out the thimble with a 6mm expansion bolt (or plastic wall plug/screw anchor for concrete walls). Re-strip the wire ends to lie against the outer thimble wall. Similar for TOM bridge bushing if you have that bridge (there are tricks to removing those). If you want to ground the trem it requires a wire tunnel from the main cavity to the trem cavity. You only need one ground (bridge or trem) to ground the strings, but there's no harm in having both. Some guitars have the tunnel, some don't. Drilling one is easiest with a long "aircraft" drill bit.

Blade switches usually fit but it helps to measure relative depths first. The tabs may need to be bent to clear the bottom.
Thx guys u r awesome.
For.the ground i forced.in a larger Bush so i wont be able.to.swap.it.out again, i Will drill.the way ti the trem to.ground.
I suppose Is a way easier to unscrew the trem to resolder the ground in case, instead of dismount the bushes.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:47 am

Also, as with any jag pickup becoming part of a series or phase switching scheme, you need to separate the ground wire normally shared between the coil ground and the claw into two separate grounds. Cut the little jumper that joins them, and solder a new ground wire to the claw. The new claw-only ground is connected to any convenient ground point.

Regular jag pickup:

Pickup with separated grounds: