Original (and not so original) design template thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Original (and not so original) design template thread

Post by epizootics » Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:26 pm
Thanks for remembering us lefties :D 8)
epizootics wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:10 pm
By the way, you OSGers, don't hesitate to give me a shout if you're after specific templates. They dont' take me a lot of time to make and I actually enjoy the process, it's always interesting to take a design apart and draw inferences as to how it was designed in the first place.
I just may take you up on this. I can think of a couple that are kinda fun that I wouldn't mind building :ph34r:
Anytime, dear :)

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Mon May 27, 2019 5:34 am

epizootics wrote:
threewordname wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:42 pm
I'm looking to build a lefty bobkat, but the template seems to have disappeared. Does anyone have a downloaded copy?
Not sure where it went, so I drew a new one with my CAD software since the Kat seems to be pretty popular these days (the fact St Vincent is the koolest guitar hero of the noughties helps!)

I made you a lefty version to save you the fiddling with your printer settings.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ko8Mc ... d7tFp0ML_I (LEFTY VERSION)

SILVERTONE BOBKAT (REGULAR) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZC3om ... _eYk3T1ycS

Those .pdfs are meant to be printed onto A2, and they are in millimeters (sorry, I'm all metric :) ). I can make separate pdfs for the pickguard if you guys want. Also, bear in mind that the original had a very narrow neck (only about 2.02" at the end of the neck pocket), so this area might need some attention when you're doing your build. I can alter the template to accommodate a standard Fender-type neck if needed.

By the way, you OSGers, don't hesitate to give me a shout if you're after specific templates. They dont' take me a lot of time to make and I actually enjoy the process, it's always interesting to take a design apart and draw inferences as to how it was designed in the first place.
So, a version of this set up for Fender 24" necks (which would require a slight adjustment in bridge placement too, right, to account for the 1/4" difference in scale length?) would be awesome.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Mon May 27, 2019 5:41 am

solfege wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:34 am
epizootics wrote:
threewordname wrote:
I'm looking to build a lefty bobkat, but the template seems to have disappeared. Does anyone have a downloaded copy?
Not sure where it went, so I drew a new one with my CAD software since the Kat seems to be pretty popular these days (the fact St Vincent is the koolest guitar hero of the noughties helps!)

SILVERTONE BOBKAT (REGULAR) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZC3om ... _eYk3T1ycS

Those .pdfs are meant to be printed onto A2, and they are in millimeters (sorry, I'm all metric :) ). I can make separate pdfs for the pickguard if you guys want. Also, bear in mind that the original had a very narrow neck (only about 2.02" at the end of the neck pocket), so this area might need some attention when you're doing your build. I can alter the template to accommodate a standard Fender-type neck if needed.

So, a version of this set up for Fender 24" necks (which would require a slight adjustment in bridge placement too, right, to account for the 1/4" difference in scale length?) would be awesome.
I just had a look at my CAD file, I actually used 24" as the reference scale length! So that bridge position should be correct, with a neck joining the body at the 15th fret. I can modify it to accommodate the usual 16th fret joint if you want, though!

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm

epizootics wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:41 am
solfege wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:34 am
epizootics wrote:

I just had a look at my CAD file, I actually used 24" as the reference scale length! So that bridge position should be correct, with a neck joining the body at the 15th fret. I can modify it to accommodate the usual 16th fret joint if you want, though!
The real thing for me would be a correctly sized neck pocket, if I were going to try to get this made into templates and use it. I'm definitely not at the point where i can adjust on the fly.

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Tue May 28, 2019 5:50 pm

You can make a separate neck pocket template by measuring the actual neck you're attaching

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Tue May 28, 2019 8:47 pm

solfege wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm

The real thing for me would be a correctly sized neck pocket, if I were going to try to get this made into templates and use it. I'm definitely not at the point where i can adjust on the fly.
I tend not to really bother adding a 'realistic' neck pocket on my templates, because (1) I've seen too many 'standard necks' not fitting into 'standard neck pockets' and (2) because it doesn't give your router base much support to have the pocket on the same template, especially when you reach the outermost areas. I usually make a separate template out of thicker MDF (about 1/2" thick) with the sides extending well into the body and all the way up to the 12th fret so I can move around freely and get an even surface at the bottom. The added thickness also helps if you want to route an angled pocket - just align the centerline and prop up the body side of the template onto a strip of lexan with a straight edge perpendicular to the center line. You can calculate where the strip of lexan should be placed relative to the spot where the template meets the body and the desired angle using the Pythagoras theorem :)

A couple of pictures might make more sense than my muddy morning explanations:

Top view:

Side view:

Unless you want to get the body CNC'd of course, in which case you'd still want to feed the right neck measurements + a bit of tolerance to your software!

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Thu May 30, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks. That's all very helpful!

DeeLutts
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DeeLutts » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 pm

epizootics wrote:
threewordname wrote:

Thanks so much for this, been wanting to build a bobkat for a while now. Do you have a headstock template by any chance?

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:32 pm

DeeLutts wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 pm
Thanks so much for this, been wanting to build a bobkat for a while now. Do you have a headstock template by any chance?
I'm on it :) I can't guarantee it'll be 100% accurate since I don't have the actual guitar at hand to trace the outline, but I can do something close. That's the trouble with angled back headstock - it's fairly easy to find good pictures of the body taken with no angle, but less so for the peghead.

DeeLutts
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DeeLutts » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 am

epizootics wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:32 pm
DeeLutts wrote:
I'm on it :) I can't guarantee it'll be 100% accurate since I don't have the actual guitar at hand to trace the outline, but I can do something close. That's the trouble with angled back headstock - it's fairly easy to find good pictures of the body taken with no angle, but less so for the peghead.
Awesome, thanks! Yeah that's the problem I had when I tried myself, I gathered a bunch of images but nothing I've managed to piece together looks quite right.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm

DeeLutts wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 am
epizootics wrote:
DeeLutts wrote:
Awesome, thanks! Yeah that's the problem I had when I tried myself, I gathered a bunch of images but nothing I've managed to piece together looks quite right.
Hey Dee, here we go!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zBg6l ... _FDh8tKX7k

I used pictures from this page - https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2018/ ... obkat.html
It shouldn't be too bad, there was almost no lens distortion/perspective issues with that picture of the headstock. I used the stated measurement of 1 3/4" for the nut. You may want to make sure everything fits with the actual hardware you'll use :)

DeeLutts
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DeeLutts » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 am

epizootics wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm
DeeLutts wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 am
epizootics wrote:

Hey Dee, here we go!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zBg6l ... _FDh8tKX7k

I used pictures from this page - https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2018/ ... obkat.html
It shouldn't be too bad, there was almost no lens distortion/perspective issues with that picture of the headstock. I used the stated measurement of 1 3/4" for the nut. You may want to make sure everything fits with the actual hardware you'll use :)
Oh wow, thank you so much for that! Just in time for the weeked so I can get started too.
Looks perfect, mine definitely came out too long due to the perspective.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:51 am

This is what I want. It clearly falls under the "not so original" part of the thread but I just can't pay $3000 for a guitar. If I were a touring musician or a session player sure but not as a hobbyist. I really do love his design but I'd put the neck on regular & maybe play with the pickup configuration a bit.
We are merely moving shadows.

VPO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by VPO » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:46 pm

epizootics wrote:
Ok!

I've been dreaming about Yamaha SG2 (that so called Link Wray guitar) for a long time. What about this one? :)

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:00 pm

VPO wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:46 pm
epizootics wrote:
Ok!

I've been dreaming about Yamaha SG2 (that so called Link Wray guitar) for a long time. What about this one? :)
"Yes, this possible" :)

(which always makes me think of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtyjaSqdh2I )