Jess Loureiro

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jess Loureiro

Post by 2fLAz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:40 am

I've had issues with Jess Loureiro. It took him about 40 days to send me 'on stock' not custom jaguar pickups.
He used glue to maintain coil and claws on a Jaguar pickup and the neck pickup was reading open...
Same for a JM neck pickup ordered at the same time.
Emailed him and he never replied. Emailed and emailed again without any answers.
Went to paypal for dispute but was above 45 days....
Will never ever order from him again.
Bad customer service.

Sent my PUs to be repaired to bullock (toez10), they eventually sound awesome now and frankly, Bullock customer support/quality is awesome !

potentb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by potentb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:42 am

Id echo the previous fella's post and look elsewhere . I ordered a stock Tele bridge pickup from his site on the 15th Dec 2014. Order went to 'in production' on the 18th. Nothing after that. I emailed him and sent a message from the site... no response from one and the other came back as 'not known ' or similar to that. Thanks to me finding some of the comments here I put a claim into Paypal. I've just had notification that Paypal were able to recover my payment. They didnt get a response from senoir Loureiro either....

I'm really disapointed as the good stuff I've read about his pickups sounds great.... but I most definitely will not order from this bloke again without getting an email response first.... I'd suggest others do the same .

ScottCirrus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ScottCirrus » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:49 pm

I ordered a set of customized Jazzmaster pickups from Jess a while ago, didn't have any troubles or delays in production/shipping - plus, the pickups I got from him sound really quite good. I had email contact with him before ordering though, so I would definitely check in with him first - it would appear that he tends to go AWOL sometimes, judging from previous posts about him.

millarman9111993
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by millarman9111993 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:55 am

I tried to order as set of JM pickups at the beginning of January.

Contacted him first to see if he could make something like I was after.

After having no reply after a week I bought elsewhere (still to this day heard nothing from him).
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

potentb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by potentb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Just thought I'd add an update to my previous post on the 9th Feb.

Uncannily the day after that post I got an email from Jess loureiro. He apologised for not sending my pickup and said he wasnt aware of the order until he saw the Paypal mail saying the dispute Id raised had been settled and Id been refunded.

To his credit he did seem genuine and he said he would send me the pickup for free that week and send me the tracking details. I said that if he sent the pickup I would pay him for it but he was insistent that the service I'd received wasnt good enough and that he wanted to send the pickup foc as a gesture.

That was the 10th of Feb. I didnt here anything else until early April when out the blue I got an auto email from jess's website saying my order had been despatched. I'll be honest, I took it with a pinch of salt. However, low and behold guess what arrived in the post this week... the pickup I ordered back in December and have since be refunded for.

I havent tried it yet as it means pulling out the one I bought to replace it. But it has restored my faith a little in the man. Although I really do think he needs to get his act together. Would I order again ?? maybe, need to hear this pickup first. But I will definitely ensure I've had some email response from him next time before I do.

Moloch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Moloch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:47 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to best contact Jess? I sent some pickups to him for repair/rewinding at the beginning of December and have only had sporadic contact with him since then. Th last I heard from him was a message on Facebook over a month ago where he apologised for the delay and said that he would do the work for free to make up for it. I responded, thanking him etc. but I see that he hasn't even read my message. I've tried calling him/sending text messages and emails but no response. At this stage I would just like to get my stuff back.

Any assistance or advice appreciated. Thanks.

tubart
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tubart » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:02 am

Jess Loureiro does generally not answer to emails... He does not seem very serious. I've bought a pair of Jaguar Pickups, sounds better than original Fender MIJ, but there aren't as good as SD Antiquities ; a friend of mine prefers the Fender USA pickups' sound... So you can order your pickups to another seller if JL does not answer , his handwouns pickups sound quite good but not as good as other boutique pickups or high grade famous brand models. ;)

borntohang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by borntohang » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:18 am

I've got one of his Telemaster pickups in the bridge of my CIJ JM. It sounds great and is nicely made, but I did buy it second hand and so haven't dealt with him in person.

Glimmer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Glimmer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:08 am

Hate to say it but based on this thread, I would avoid dealing with this gentleman like the plague. IMO there is nothing worse than never knowing what's going on with your repair/order. You're in guitar limbo: you don't know if/when you're going to get your stuff, if you should give it up for lost and buy elsewhere, try to contact him one more time or wait just a little longer, or....

Moloch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Moloch » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:27 am

So about a month after I posted here, Jess contacted me to apologise and say that he had decided not to repair the pickups I sent him but rather just make me new ones from scratch, which he did, and which I got a couple of weeks later. He also sent me the pickups I had sent back as well.

Two of the pickups were toaster lookalikes from a Tokai Rick clone, for those he designed and 3D printed new bobbins and put slightly fatter Alnico 5 slugs into them. All the pickups sound excellent.

I have no doubts about the quality of his work or his good intentions, though I did try and contact him recently via Facebook and got the message that he wasn't receiving messages right now. I then googled him and found a thread on another forum where people had bought stuff from him but hadn't received it or heard from him

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Reading between the lines it seems that he might be more of a hobbyist than a serious businessman. I got great service as an early adopter, perhaps close to the point when he'd had that "Hey, I could turn my hobby into a business!" moment. A lot of people set out on that journey only to find that the tough slog of processing orders ultimately isn't really for them once they have an overwhelming backlog to deal with.

The fact that he took the time to build a website and do a bunch of sound samples some time after I bought pickups from him suggests he took it seriously at some point, but it does sound like he works in fits and starts, only when he can be bothered. I sounded him out about doing a Mustang pickup (or two) for me and he only got back to me after I'd given up on him and gone elsewhere, saying he'd been laid up for a while with a broken leg or something. Maybe personal issues are part of the picture - who knows?

For what it's worth, when he did communicate he was always very helpful, sending me a link to a good deal on a paper-in-oil capacitor and giving me sound advice on my Jazzmaster project, all in what I assume was, to him, a second language. I don't doubt his Mustang pickups would've been every bit as good as the ones I ended up with; it's just a shame his communication is so sporadic.

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:32 pm

After reading both this thread and also this thread, I got curious. I wasn't in any hurry and I wanted to try some alternative Jazzmaster pickups. I have some Lollars in my Partsmaster which I adore, but wanted to try something else in my CP Jazzmaster.

I fully appreciate what some people have been saying here and in various web forums; that it may take a long time to receive something, but decided that it didn't matter if it took a little longer for my order to arrive; I *thought* that I had a few months to play with (more on that later) and anyway, who was this mysterious lone pickup winder? Like I said, I was curious.

So I hit "buy" on a pair of Jazzmaster "original" pickups. I may have had more than one glass of wine ;-) This was on 21st January, a Saturday night. Jess contacted me first thing on the following Monday morning and asked me if I wanted anything especially customised. I told him that I'd be happy with however he usually made them. He said that he'd get to work on them within the next few days.

Within that short time, I received a confirmation that my permanent residence visa application for Canada had been granted (I currently live in the UK). This was a couple of months sooner than I had expected. My poor Canadian spouse was tired of waiting to go home, and we could now leave. So I booked my plane tickets for the move to Canada in 4 weeks time.

I wrote to Jess simply to tell him that I may have to change the shipping address to Canada if the pickup work was to take more than a few weeks. I really didn't want to hassle the guy; I just wanted to tell him what was happening. Anyway, he said that he'd finished them and would send them out quickly, which he did. I received the pickups on 10th February.

I'm really pleased with that - less than 3 weeks for pickups built from scratch, including shipping time from Spain to the UK is great.

The pickups look well-made, and I'm very excited to try them out. Ironically, I can't tell you what the pickups sound like yet because my CP Jazzmaster got shipped along with most of my belongings (by sea) to Canada a day before the pickups arrived. It will be a few weeks before I see that guitar again and can fit the new pickups. :fp:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:12 pm

jellodog wrote:After reading both this thread and also this thread, I got curious. I wasn't in any hurry and I wanted to try some alternative Jazzmaster pickups. I have some Lollars in my Partsmaster which I adore, but wanted to try something else in my CP Jazzmaster.

I fully appreciate what some people have been saying here and in various web forums; that it may take a long time to receive something, but decided that it didn't matter if it took a little longer for my order to arrive; I *thought* that I had a few months to play with (more on that later) and anyway, who was this mysterious lone pickup winder? Like I said, I was curious.

So I hit "buy" on a pair of Jazzmaster "original" pickups. I may have had more than one glass of wine ;-) This was on 21st January, a Saturday night. Jess contacted me first thing on the following Monday morning and asked me if I wanted anything especially customised. I told him that I'd be happy with however he usually made them. He said that he'd get to work on them within the next few days.

Within that short time, I received a confirmation that my permanent residence visa application for Canada had been granted (I currently live in the UK). This was a couple of months sooner than I had expected. My poor Canadian spouse was tired of waiting to go home, and we could now leave. So I booked my plane tickets for the move to Canada in 4 weeks time.

I wrote to Jess simply to tell him that I may have to change the shipping address to Canada if the pickup work was to take more than a few weeks. I really didn't want to hassle the guy; I just wanted to tell him what was happening. Anyway, he said that he'd finished them and would send them out quickly, which he did. I received the pickups on 10th February.

I'm really pleased with that - less than 3 weeks for pickups built from scratch, including shipping time from Spain to the UK is great.

The pickups look well-made, and I'm very excited to try them out. Ironically, I can't tell you what the pickups sound like yet because my CP Jazzmaster got shipped along with most of my belongings (by sea) to Canada a day before the pickups arrived. It will be a few weeks before I see that guitar again and can fit the new pickups.
Looking forward to hearing what you think of the pickups. Also, welcome to Canada! In addition to getting to live in our awesome country, guitar gear is going to be much less expensive for you now ;) (though a little bit more than the US).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:44 am

mbene085 wrote: welcome to Canada!
Thanks! I'm excited having a new life and finally finding somewhere to settle.
mbene085 wrote: ... guitar gear is going to be much less expensive for you now.
Haha. Yes! That was one of the things that I've been looking forward too. In addition to higher UK prices for finished guitars, it was relatively expensive to build a partsmaster in the UK too, when compared to what it would cost in North America. I do worry however, that the affordability of guitars in Canada may suffer from the new Trump / trade deal situation. I truly hope that my concerns are unfounded. Thanks again for the welcome :-)

robbothorp
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by robbothorp » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:55 am

I ordered a pair of original Jazzmaster pickups from Jess Loureiro, was updated throughout the production and shipping process and received a pair of wonderful Jazzmaster pickups after 15 days. They are definitely an upgrade to the Fender PV's I had in my MIJ Jazzmaster before (a lot more full bodied and rich and with more punch). I can only recommend his service and pickups.