Best screwdrivers - any recommendations?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Best screwdrivers - any recommendations?

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:50 am

Well, it's time.

9 years and 5 hours on from the lack of replies I can only surmise everyone has been desperately waiting for me to provide an update.

I did end up going with the Wiha sets in the post below. Second link is dead but it was this set of precision screwdrivers for small work.

They're brilliant and well-priced for the quality, and have held up exceptionally well to some heavy use and abuse. The 'soft grip' handles really allow you (me) to get serious torque into fasteners. I have used these on guitars, effects pedals, miscellaneous hi-fi gear, coffee machines/grinders, kitchen stand mixers, punched holes in gyprock to install smoke detectors and other miscellaneous jobs around the house, and well, the following ended up being entirely false: :blush:
andy_tchp wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm
but these won't be touching anything automotive
The handles still feel as good as new, in spite of needing workshop grease/grime cleaned off with brake cleaner from time to time. Only one is showing any significant signs of wear, the second largest flat head driver was used in tandem with a BF hammer to remove an inner wheel bearing race stuck to the spindle of my car around 8 years ago. At some point I'll clean up the head so it's flat/straight, and the end of the handle shows some very slight deformation (very slight given the absolute caning it received). Touch wood I've also not lost any.

A+, would buy again.
andy_tchp wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:01 am
I've tweaked my google-fu, and the Wiha brand seem to get consistently good reviews round the place, and the price seems excellent if they live up to their reputation (I was expecting to pay much more):

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-30297-12-Pie ... 787&sr=8-1

And maybe a set of these guys. My biggest problems are with the super cheap 'jeweller's' sets that sell for $2 or less.

http://www.wihatools.com/special_01.htm

The other thing is, I tend to actually look after the tools I've invested a bit in, being sure to put them all back 'home' when I'm finished (like my fairly expensive Sidchrome socket set). Hmm...decisions...
Last edited by andy_tchp on Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:19 pm

Thanks for the update! Every recommendations thread would be a lot more helpful if it ended with a "here's the decision I made and here's how it's held up for almost 10 years" post πŸ˜„

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:43 am

blimpage wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:19 pm
Thanks for the update! Every recommendations thread would be a lot more helpful if it ended with a "here's the decision I made and here's how it's held up for almost 10 years" post πŸ˜„
Here here!! I was planning on replying with a suggestion, but not realizing how old the original post was, I think that's kinda useless now.

That said, Craftsman isn't all that great anymore these days. I've had good luck with much of the stuff from Husky (Home Depot), though I've not bought a set of screwdrivers. Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive set of black, four-sided handled screwdrivers that are copies of Snap On which are really decent. If you're looking for something with changeable bits, look into Klein electrical tools. They have an 11-in-1 that is very comfy and has fantastic bits. This one to be exact. I use one in oily/greasy/dirty industrial environments at work, and it has held up very well.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

ARAMP1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ARAMP1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:59 am

I've been using Snap-On screwdrivers for the last 20-25 years. They're not cheap, but they're the best that money can buy.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:15 pm

I bought this a few years ago. A blessing when you own a Traynor cabinet and need to get back there... The battery lasts for a long time. It came with two batteries too.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:28 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote: ↑
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:43 am
blimpage wrote: ↑
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:19 pm
Here here!! I was planning on replying with a suggestion, but not realizing how old the original post was, I think that's kinda useless now.

That said, Craftsman isn't all that great anymore these days. I've had good luck with much of the stuff from Husky (Home Depot), though I've not bought a set of screwdrivers. Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive set of black, four-sided handled screwdrivers that are copies of Snap On which are really decent. If you're looking for something with changeable bits, look into Klein electrical tools. They have an 11-in-1 that is very comfy and has fantastic bits. This one to be exact. I use one in oily/greasy/dirty industrial environments at work, and it has held up very well.
All Craftsmen tools were made by third parties. Some made in the USA Craftsmen Screwdrivers were made by Pratt Read and are still available. Western Forge was their other supplier and is now defunct.