Time to come clean about why I'm asking for measurements etc.....

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Time to come clean about why I'm asking for measurements etc.....

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:00 pm

the time has come to spill the beans....I've been thinking about putting a guitar together for a while...for a long time, it was a pipe dream, but lately, I've found I need something to work on in the winter nights, and since I'm a total beginner, this should keep me occupied for a while.

for a long time, I have been mesmerised by the looks of 60s Electric XIIs....a while ago I actualy tried one out, and found out that 12 string isn't my thing...not at this point in my life, anyway :)

so that got me thinking...what about a 6 string version of an electric XII?

with he aid of the dressing room and also photoshop, I came up with a prototype that I think will rule.

the first few problems are parts....the bridge especialy...hence all my questions about equivalents...it appears that the musicmaster reissue bridge with the 6 saddles should work ok, and even if it doesn't at $30  it's not too much of a tragedy.

neck-wise, I'm gonna try and get one of the CIJ ones that are parted out on ebay...I'll sand the back for a more vintage feel, of course :)

body-wise...well...looks like I'm gonna have to get an Allparts blank...that'll take me ages to get right...as I have no real woodworking tools (apart from a drill and a saw), I'll do the routes by hand....and finish-wise...well...no nitro finishing or anything...I'll get some spray cans and do it all it black...I don't mind it looking rough at all...actualy, I want it to look homemade :)

that leaves the pickguard...I figured I could either get one on ebay (long wait + expensive) or just get a trace from someone and get a custom one done...

pickups...I'll ask the seymour duncan guys...or even someone smaller (maybe Curtis Novak)

as far as the cotrol plate goes...well, I have to plead guilty as charged...I bought the NOS Angela one last night....the shipping was REALLY expensive, but I was feeling a bit fragile so I bought it to make me feel better (god bless the pedaltrain board I sold)

I wanna put Jaguar vol and tone knobs on it, btw...they look cool

as far as the rotary switch....well..I'll have a think about that one...and the actual knob-switch thing I'll buy from angela too....everything else should be pretty standard.

loads of you know that I have been royaly broke for such a long time, so this will probaby take me a year to do...but for the first time, I'm pretty determined to do it...bit by bit, and using cheap parts (that I might upgrade later in life)

anyways...without further ado...he's my concept...nothing groundbreaking, but killer looking, in my humble opinion....

I think it'll be worth it in the end.

thanks for listening...I'll have loads of questions along the way, but I'm sure everyone will help out :)

Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Time to come clean about why I'm asking for measurements etc.....

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:05 pm

How does the body for an Electric XII compare with a JM? Are they larger? Differently shaped?
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:05 pm

That is soooo cool!

I REALLY like it. What a great project!

I am willing to help out anyway I can, though I don't know how much help I could be.

BTW - Allparts has rotary switches... and chickenhead knobs are not hard to get either.
Q. Are we not men?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:06 pm

Dammit  - now you have me wanting to build one...
Q. Are we not men?

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:07 pm

man, that looks great :D
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:08 pm

:)

thanks Doug!!!

....I know for a fact I'll need your hellp a billion times, so stick by me!

:)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:09 pm

mjet260 wrote: How does the body for an Electric XII compare with a JM? Are they larger? Differently shaped?
they are meant to be slightly different...so I'll compromise with a JM body :)
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:13 pm

so stick by me!
You got it... brutha!

;D
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:14 pm

fullerplast wrote:
so stick by me!
You got it... brutha!

;D
8)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:21 pm

very cool.. i really like the look of that! 8)

you know, there's a neck with the same headstock shape as the xii but with six tuner holes.. might be something worth looking into. i swear i seen one for sale recently on ebay or some gbase dealer, just can't remember the name at the moment :(

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:28 pm

This was online last week for the same price ($99) and nobody grabbed it. It's relisted now - I was tempted and I might do it if it didn't have the routing already - you could use it for the XII body if it were just a cut body with no routing done...

I think it would make a good fusion JM body with a Musicmaster / Tornonado bridge, if anyone is following these posts with a sparkle in their eye...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0037672455

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:36 pm

He says the routs are for P-90s, but they look pretty narrow to me. OTOH, one could knock out the middle pieces, make a swimming pool, and put whatever they want in there! Plus, the bridge options are wide open!

You said it closed last week with no bidders. With my luck, I'd bid this time and it would go sky high.  Damn Murphy...  >:(

How 'bout it John?
Q. Are we not men?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:42 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: very cool.. i really like the look of that! 8)

you know, there's a neck with the same headstock shape as the xii but with six tuner holes.. might be something worth looking into. i swear i seen one for sale recently on ebay or some gbase dealer, just can't remember the name at the moment :(
hey thanks, Justin!!

sounds interesting....the reason I wanna go for them CIJs is because they are pretty much ready to go...with a nut, etc :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:43 pm

fullerplast wrote: He says the routs are for P-90s, but they look pretty narrow to me. OTOH, one could knock out the middle pieces, make a swimming pool, and put whatever they want in there! Plus, the bridge options are wide open!

You said it closed last week with no bidders. With my luck, I'd bid this time and it would go sky high.  Damn Murphy...  >:(

How 'bout it John?
it's got the upper routing, so no good for me....go for it, if you want it :)
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Another option for an alternate bidge offset - $125 (closeout) from Warmoth - the grain isn't as purty as others but for a solid color refin, no worries:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guit ... ype=guitar