Dupont in the UK/Europe...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Dupont in the UK/Europe...

Post by Amber » Tue May 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Has anyone had much luck with this? I've been reading about the history of Fender colours and paints. I always thought the standard colours were Nitro not Acrylic.

I've tried the paint codes from Curtis Novak's site and only LPB shows up.

Anyone else had any luck?

GTO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Dupont in the UK/Europe...

Post by GTO » Tue May 15, 2007 11:33 pm

Try here for an explanation of paint together with paint codes

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

Not all Fender colours were nitro, some were acrylic. But both formula's share acetone as the thinning agent, so they can be applied in exactly the same way, and to all intents and purposes you wouldn't know the difference.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Wed May 16, 2007 1:40 am

I know the codes, but I'm having trouble getting them up on Dupont. Only LPB code is found.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed May 16, 2007 2:25 am

i'm currently in the process of tracking down some charcoal frost in aerosol cans, and (with the help of jazzprod) i have managed to find a source.

what color are you looking for?
i just typed "charcoal" in the color name field and "general motors" in the manufacturer name field.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Wed May 16, 2007 2:33 am

I'm looking for them all really!

The thing is, the original codes should come up with results. I don't understand why though. That's how they do it in the US and Dupont is a universal thing.

GTO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GTO » Wed May 16, 2007 8:04 am

I've found more paint factors in the UK have cross references to PPG than DuPOnt. PPG do make a lot of the original colours and you may be able to cross reference PPG codes with OEM codes and colour names/car models/car years at this site below

http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/paints-bycolor.php

With the PPG code you should be able to find most colours in the UK if they have ever mixed it.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Wed May 16, 2007 8:53 am

If I get a PPG code what should I do with it in the UK?

GTO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GTO » Wed May 16, 2007 12:31 pm

If I get a PPG code what should I do with it in the UK?
Go to a paint car parts factors/repair shop suppliers and ask them to mix you some paint?

But if you want the whole range, strange as it may seem, you may have to do some research and phone people to ask if they have any long lost paints codes that are not immediately apparent on a database. Or get in touch with classic car clubs to see if any members have codes that they have found as matches.

If you simply want to go and buy a few select colours, but not the whole range, you could try here. This chap is a top bloke and can supply the popular shades in nitro

http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Wed May 16, 2007 12:49 pm

So PPG is a standard code that people that mix paint can match?

I think I've found two places that can do it to put in cans, either by matching a colour block or by having similar names. They're pretty cheap too. I just wanted to use the Dupont codes with Dupont. They are universal and should work. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Sat May 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Yes they were not all Nitro the Metallics, and Oly white were NEVER nitro, only the clear coat.  here is an article I did some time back sort of related to this.
http://curtisnovak.com/vintage/JazzBass59/  Only the clear was Nitro.

Another note if you get paint from anyone other than Dupont is will NOT be the exact color as they had the NOS formula.  PPG and anyone else is a reversed engineered matched color these colors look correct in certain conditions, but it certain lightings, the hue, depth and color can be WAY off.
You should be able to get ALL the colors, as these are the numbers I use.
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Sat May 19, 2007 1:48 pm

That's what bothers me. The only number that I could get up in the UK Dupont site is LPB. Technically they should all match because Dupont is a Universal thing. I'm going to give them a call on Monday and see if I can get anywhere.

Is there a US Dupont site I can check the numbers on? I can't seem to find it in google for some reason.

GTO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GTO » Sat May 19, 2007 2:00 pm

Well I don't know Curtis, in another thread somebody is quoting you as saying that LPG is close 'enough' to SMB that it makes no difference? Where does perfection begin and end?

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Sat May 19, 2007 2:12 pm

One of the reasons I want to get the colours as bang on as possible is to buy it in bulk and sell it for a decent price. Also, my dad is considering coming out of retirement and starting to build and refinish guitars. He used to restore antiques and make paintings and other items older. He wants to get the paints as close as possible so Dupont is the way to go.

We could have a British Bill Nash if you like that sort of thing.

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Sun May 20, 2007 6:32 am

GTO wrote: Well I don't know Curtis, in another thread somebody is quoting you as saying that LPG is close 'enough' to SMB that it makes no difference? Where does perfection begin and end?
I think that is kind of taking what I said out of context.  This person was trying to find a not standard Custom color SMB that Fender might have used before they standardized on their standard custom colors.  My comment was to him that LPB is close enough to SMB  that he could just use LPB and fine.  I did not say SMB is close enough to LPB to be a legitimate substitute.  In reality it really does not matter unless you are doing a true vintage restoration, or want to tout your supplies as such b/c there IS a difference .  If you are just painting a parts guitar or paint a nonvintage guitar think I dont think it matters.
As for SMB, if there ever really was a guitar painted that, I have my doubts w/ out examining it for myself it is possible as there were guitars painted in that color, but there are many guitars claimed to be such by people that really dont know finishes that well, and they all have long tall tails of how it came to be.  In the day of Ebay and hugh profits that come from vintage guitars, there is way too much incentive for people to concoct a story.  When LPB was really popular every guitar all the way from Ocean T to Ice Blue were ALL called LPB.
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sun May 20, 2007 9:29 am

Amber wrote: So PPG is a standard code that people that mix paint can match?

I think I've found two places that can do it to put in cans, either by matching a colour block or by having similar names. They're pretty cheap too. I just wanted to use the Dupont codes with Dupont. They are universal and should work. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Did you mean spray cans? I wouldnt spray anything with cans it looks cack..use a proper air compressor with at least 10 cfm free air and a decent spray gun..