GOLD GUARD REPROS - UK- The cogs are in motion!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

GOLD GUARD REPROS - UK- The cogs are in motion!

Post by Amber » Fri May 11, 2007 1:59 pm

First off, I want to make it clear I don't want anyone to think I'm treading on Fullerplast's toes here. As far as I'm aware Doug is happy for someone else to give this a go.

Doug was kind enough to send me drawing he had of a gold guard.

I have a contact who owns a company that makes Hubs, rims, sprockets for bicycles. He's offering me some advice on companies that will do what I need and some business advice too.

So far, he knows of a place that does laser cutting and THINKS they can do the counter sinking.

He also knows of a place that does the anodizing.

The problems here are I'm going to have to work with these companies via mail and I'm worried about getting the gold right.

This project is going to be slow for the next few moves as I'm moving to London and might not have enough money to play around with at first but that's what credit cards are for! Right?

Anyway, I'll be honest saying I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to gold guards so if there's anything I'm missing out on please let me know:

0.062" Brush Aluminium, Anodized Gold. Some holes will need to be countersunk.

Also, I don't have a vintage Jazzmaster to test the future sample with. If I can fund one I might buy an original guard to send to the cutters and anodizing company. If when I do get a sample done, it would be great if one of the London Offset guys would be willing to meet up and test the guard. I'd give them a great discount on a final guard.

I'll update this when I have more news.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: GOLD GUARD REPROS - UK- The cogs are in motion!

Post by mjet » Fri May 11, 2007 2:44 pm

Maybe it would be worth picking up a current Fender anodized guard (eg for a Tele or Strat) to send around along with the tracing as a model of what it should look like. That is of course if they are comparable - something makes me think that they are.

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri May 11, 2007 3:37 pm

I have full access to a laser cutter, machine shop and can get the anodizing done..my family run a metalwork shop..but unfortunately I don't have an original guard so i wouldnt even think of attempting it without one to hand as I am a perfectionist  ;) ..which is a shame because for me it would be easy to get this job done..Now if someone could supply me vector drawing of it as an AutoCad DXF file..it would be even easier.

weijie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by weijie » Fri May 11, 2007 5:29 pm

I think its great that the project is not totally dead yet. :) I'm still hoping that eventually I can get a gold anodised Mustang pickguard. After the Jazzmaster ones are sorted out of course!