Nouveau-vintage Jazzmaster pickup ideas

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Nouveau-vintage Jazzmaster pickup ideas

Post by flatfiver » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:49 pm

I've been toying with the idea of a couple variations on the classic Jazzmaster pickup.  Most of them spring from my desire for more even string response from pure nickel strings.

Jag pickups for a time had staggered polepieces - why not try this out on Jazzmaster pickups?  If I remmeber correctly Jason Lollar radiuses his poles to follow the string/fingerboard radius.  Can anyone comment on the pluses or minuses of this?  I also seem to remember that the staggered vs. non-staggered Jag pickups tend to inspire debates of rosewood vs. maple proportions - so what's the verdict?

Another idea I had, after inspecting the design of the WRHB from the Tele Deluxes & Thinlines (and Jazzblasters ;)), was the idea of adjustable poles on a JM pickup.  I don't know if this is even feasible in the standard Fender pickup design as I believe the wire is wound directly around the poles, but I'm thinking something totally ridiculous, like magnetic poles with AlNiCo screws threaded into them, or something like that.  The thing that caught my eye about the WRHB is that the adjustable screws are actually magnetic, as opposed to the Gibson design with the bar magnets beneath the bobbins contacting the slugs and screws.  I assume the WRHB screws have to thread into something, which then contact the wrap wire, which then connects to the foot bone, which then connects to the... other thing.  (sorry, got into a Dr. Nick Riviera thing there.)

So, should I start the patent update paperwork, or should I shut up and sit back down in my corner?   
Last edited by flatfiver on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Nouveau-vintage Jazzmaster pickup ideas

Post by Jay » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:10 pm

One thing I think would be cool would be a WRHB style that fits under a Jazzmaster pickup cover.  Kinda like what Curtis Novak is doing with the other different style JM pickups.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:13 am

flatfiver wrote: (sorry, got into a Dr. Nick Riviera thing there.) 
My idol and role model.

"Oh no, no the Coroner again. I'm so sick of that guy .. "

Anyway, a JM-sized WRHB would be almost too good to be true .. didn't you contact Novak and find that he's trying to source cunife magnets? It may happen one day then .. !
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:43 pm

So can anyone comment on their experience with either staggered Jag pickups or the "radiused" poles on the Lollar Jazzmaster pickups? 

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:46 pm

PS - Mez, I'm really frightened for your patients. :o

"Hi everybody!"

"Hi Dr. Mez!"

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:26 am

:D
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.