Jaguar Jazzmaster project

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Riptide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jaguar Jazzmaster project

Post by Riptide » Fri May 04, 2007 4:43 am

Iv been debating forever on whether i should buy a CIJ jag and bastardize it to my specs......but i think it might be best if i start from the ground up and make it myself......
Basically i want a Jaguar HH with the trem. I figure buying a CIJ jag and routing for humbuckers would be easier than routing for a trem on an already HH jag. Im going for a lespaul in a jaguar body, with all the cool jaguar controlls.

I was thinking of buying a sunburst jag and stripping it bare, then staining it to match the neck and then clear finish it. Then i was gonna throw on a mint or tort guard, or maybe even a black one.....im not sure yet......and then put in two covered humbuckers. Now do you guys think ill have to change out any pots or should it be fine?

if that wouldn't work i was thinking of buying all the parts separate and using a warmoth lefty jazzmaster body and puitting in a fender jazzmaster neck.......is it possible to put a jaguar neck on there, i tend to like the short scale better.....

I dont know yet i think iv given you guys a rough idea on what im after

any suggestions, opinions, pictures, links, what ever would be great
"Who ever controls the media controls the mind"
~Jim Morrison

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Jaguar Jazzmaster project

Post by zhivago » Sun May 06, 2007 8:48 am

I'd personaly go the Warmoth way and order all the parts from them..then everything will fit together ok...

going the CIJ way and stripping it is also an option, but be prepared to strip the thick finish...it can occasionaly be a pain....

either way,

it should turn out to be a pretty cool guitar....
Resident Spartan.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sun May 06, 2007 5:47 pm

zhivago wrote: I'd personaly go the Warmoth way and order all the parts from them..then everything will fit together ok...

going the CIJ way and stripping it is also an option, but be prepared to strip the thick finish...it can occasionaly be a pain....

either way,

it should turn out to be a pretty cool guitar....
Nah, heat gun will take the finish off lickety split.  I stripped a telecaster in under an hour.
I prefer their older stuff.

Taylorplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Taylorplayer » Mon May 07, 2007 6:10 pm

I've heard this method is extremely effective.
Need some XII pickup covers....

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon May 07, 2007 7:28 pm

aen wrote:
Nah, heat gun will take the finish off lickety split.  I stripped a telecaster in under an hour.
what do you do? melt it off?  ???
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Tue May 08, 2007 2:27 am

Melting the paint is a really bad idea. You could seriously warp the body and lift any grain. You want to avoid heat on the body as much as possible.

Riptide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Riptide » Tue May 08, 2007 4:35 am

thanx for all the responses so far guys! I'm not sure where i can get a heat gun, so i think i will just try attacking the thick poly finish with paint stripper. I attempted at making a picture of the planned jaguar with gimp so when i get home ill try and upload it to see what you guys think.
~Jim Morrison

Riptide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Riptide » Tue May 08, 2007 4:42 am

actually this guys project i kind of close to what i want (only mine will have a jaguar neck and two chrome covered humbuckers and i think i will stain the body to match the neck tint)

iv actually been watching ebay hoping someone would put a vintage jag that someone has already stripped back in the 70's or sometime when........
~Jim Morrison