What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:47 am

I wouldn't have thought to use eucalyptus for a guitar. That would be interesting. The only variety we have here is blue eucalyptus, brought originally from down under to make ship masts but it wasn't a good choice for that. It's all over the place now. I've never seen it sawn into boards. I guess it has a tendency to split.

User avatar
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 701
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:59 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:27 pm
I've never had the desire to accentuate my home with images or silhouettes of the state I live in, but from a woodworking point of view, that's pretty cool Epizootics!!
I'm not ashamed to have tons of Colorado shaped things in my home.

Image

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8279
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:11 am

:D :D :D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:45 am

:thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

User avatar
krib
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:55 am
Location: Finland

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by krib » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 am

Image

Finally got the pickups and pickguard done, shitty chinese trem will be modded to hardtail.

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:04 am

That's a nice finish, krib. The satin PG sets it off nicely. Is that chambered?

User avatar
krib
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:55 am
Location: Finland

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by krib » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 am

Rgand wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:04 am
That's a nice finish, krib. The satin PG sets it off nicely. Is that chambered?
I did a little bit of chambering as i was worried walnut body could be on the heavy side, 1mm birch weneer between top and bottom.
Image

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:34 am

krib wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 am
Rgand wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:04 am
That's a nice finish, krib. The satin PG sets it off nicely. Is that chambered?
I did a little bit of chambering as i was worried walnut body could be on the heavy side, 1mm birch weneer between top and bottom.
Image
That was a good idea. What is the body weight now?

User avatar
krib
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:55 am
Location: Finland

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by krib » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:43 am

Rgand wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:34 am
krib wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 am
Rgand wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:04 am
That's a nice finish, krib. The satin PG sets it off nicely. Is that chambered?
I did a little bit of chambering as i was worried walnut body could be on the heavy side, 1mm birch weneer between top and bottom.
Image
That was a good idea. What is the body weight now?
I havent checked its weight ;D i could do that maybe tomorrow.
Neck is walnut too and actually feels quite light.

Heres a side shot, its got a lot of tru-oil coats but not quite filled yet
Image

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 am

That birch accent stripe looks great. That TruOil does give it a luster.

User avatar
blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:43 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by blimpage » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:38 pm

krib wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:43 am
Heres a side shot, its got a lot of tru-oil coats but not quite filled yet
Image
uhhhh this rules

User avatar
Insomnicide
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Insomnicide » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Rgand wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:47 am
I wouldn't have thought to use eucalyptus for a guitar. That would be interesting. The only variety we have here is blue eucalyptus, brought originally from down under to make ship masts but it wasn't a good choice for that. It's all over the place now. I've never seen it sawn into boards. I guess it has a tendency to split.



The problem with a lot of eucalypts is that they require a lot of water, so when they're cut down a lot of moisture is present in the timber. This results in splitting when it's not dried correctly. It's not an issue here because we know how to treat it. Its just the yanks who don't know what to do with it.



Tasmanian Myrtle happens to not be part of the myrtle family, which eucalyptus trees are. I'm not a horticulturist however, so that's about where my knowledge of trees ends.

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Insomnicide wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm
Rgand wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:47 am
I wouldn't have thought to use eucalyptus for a guitar. That would be interesting. The only variety we have here is blue eucalyptus, brought originally from down under to make ship masts but it wasn't a good choice for that. It's all over the place now. I've never seen it sawn into boards. I guess it has a tendency to split.



The problem with a lot of eucalypts is that they require a lot of water, so when they're cut down a lot of moisture is present in the timber. This results in splitting when it's not dried correctly. It's not an issue here because we know how to treat it. Its just the yanks who don't know what to do with it.



Tasmanian Myrtle happens to not be part of the myrtle family, which eucalyptus trees are. I'm not a horticulturist however, so that's about where my knowledge of trees ends.
That's most interesting. It grows all over this part of California, as though it is a native plant, but it's new here as of the last couple hundred years. People around here make digeridoos out of PVC, too. Sheesh. :D

What kind of weight is associated with it? What would a Strat body weigh?

User avatar
Insomnicide
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Insomnicide » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm

It varies a lot in weight and density for each species. Jarrah would be a lot heavier than Huon Pine for example.

I think Cross Guitars would be a better person to ask as he has done more builds with local woods.

I'll let you know how much my bass weighs when I'm done with it.

User avatar
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Insomnicide wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm
It varies a lot in weight and density for each species. Jarrah would be a lot heavier than Huon Pine for example.

I think Cross Guitars would be a better person to ask as he has done more builds with local woods.

I'll let you know how much my bass weighs when I'm done with it.
Cool. Looking forward to that.

Post Reply