What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Perry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Perry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:05 pm

funkyeah! wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:02 pm
Perry, that is whacky in the best possible way and I love it. How does it balance on a strap?
Exactly! It's meant to be a little whacky. The body shape is modified from the H-65 model made by Fernandes. This model later became the Vertigo model. However, I slimmed the waist and downsized the body a bit. The color is similar to a color offered on the H-65.

The H-65 model always seemed to me to have a retro 1960s vibe to it. I had one many years ago, and parts of the body are now the wings of the guitar I'm building.

Haven't put strap buttons on it yet, so I'm not sure how it will balance. I'll try that next week.

Thanks for your comment.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:55 am

those fernandez models always remind me of early goldfinger. because one of the guitar players used one. guess you got a guitar for when you're pretending you're a superman. *grabs skateboard and rolls off into the distance*
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:11 pm

Fernandes has some definitely interesting shapes, in some strange way I'm attracted to the acrylic see-through "mockingbird" models.

*. . .not to ignore the ZO and Rick knock-offs

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:26 pm

papa_hotel_delta wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:11 pm
Fernandes has some definitely interesting shapes, in some strange way I'm attracted to the acrylic see-through "mockingbird" models.

*. . .not to ignore the ZO and Rick knock-offs
never get an acrylic guitar. i'm used to heafty guitars but my acrylic jagmaster is a monster.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:24 pm

speaking of acrylic guitars. who remembers my acrylic jagmaster?
well i was looking at it today and realised "i dont like the clear pickguard and the natural wood look of the headstock makes me super uncomfortable" well i fixed that. my reasoning being "it's my guitar, it's already got the wrong neck, im just gonna go for it" so we went from this

to this

imho, way more interesting now.

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by manwithtitties » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:02 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:24 pm
well i was looking at it today and realised "i dont like the clear pickguard and the natural wood look of the headstock makes me super uncomfortable" well i fixed that. my reasoning being "it's my guitar, it's already got the wrong neck, im just gonna go for it" so we went from this

you should put an aluminium neck on that!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:15 pm

manwithtitties wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:02 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:

nah.

1. they're expensive
2. they feel weird to me (i like them but god damn, you gotta let the acclimatize to the room..... especially if you live in a cold place)
3. aluminum necks on acrylic bodies is kinda...... too cliche

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:53 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:15 pm
manwithtitties wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:02 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:

nah.

1. they're expensive
2. they feel weird to me (i like them but god damn, you gotta let the acclimatize to the room..... especially if you live in a cold place)
3. aluminum necks on acrylic bodies is kinda...... too cliche
Absolutely not having a go but just interested in your view of what exactly is cliche about it? It's not like they're at all common in the gear world.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:31 am

This counts as "just out of my workbench", because the current iteration of my bass is finished for now :

This is what happens when you put together a Stagg neck, a semi-homemade body (made from a sawn in half supermarket acoustic and some scrap wood), a Bartolini pickup and some aliexpress hardware !

(what really happens though is that you have to buy a 95€ gigbag because this stupid thing doesn't fit into any standard bag :ph34r: )

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:53 pm

Absolutely not having a go but just interested in your view of what exactly is cliche about it? It's not like they're at all common in the gear world.
well maybe not cliche but more...... expected. like the first message i got when i bought that guitar and said i had plans for it was "those plans better involve an aluminium neck" i think there's this attitude that if you have a guitar where the body isn't made of wood, then it should have an aluminium neck.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:36 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:50 am
X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:53 pm

well maybe not cliche but more...... expected. like the first message i got when i bought that guitar and said i had plans for it was "those plans better involve an aluminium neck" i think there's this attitude that if you have a guitar where the body isn't made of wood, then it should have an aluminium neck.
I get that, I think it comes from the fact that if you're going to push the boundaries far enough not to use wood as the body why would you then cop-out by using a wooden neck? why not push the futurism boundaries and go for the full alternative materials route?

Your only real options so far for that are Graphite necks (crazy hard to get hold of and no current standard bolt-on producers since Moses went out of business) Plastic/compound necks ala Aristides (also not being manufactured in bolt-on format) or Aluminium (of which I can name 5 producers of bolt-on's in the USA and the EU off the top of my head). So that's my explanation I guess.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

thephza
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thephza » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:55 am

I designed a set of Jaguar control plates in copper and they just came in today. They're just a prototype set and not ready for primetime quite yet, but I love the look of the copper. Not sure which project I'll put these on, but thought I'd share anyway.

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm

thephza wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:55 am
I designed a set of Jaguar control plates in copper and they just came in today. They're just a prototype set and not ready for primetime quite yet, but I love the look of the copper. Not sure which project I'll put these on, but thought I'd share anyway.

I'm a big fan of bronze-anything, but copper is intriguing too. Trying to imagine how that would look after oxidization...

thephza
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thephza » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:12 pm

papa_hotel_delta wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm
I'm a big fan of bronze-anything, but copper is intriguing too. Trying to imagine how that would look after oxidization...
I'm hoping it develops a cool looking patina over time. Once I get the plate shape perfected, I'd also like to try Cor-Ten weathering steel.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:

to this

Is this a completely standard Jaguar in the body shape, with the body just being acrylic? Can't put my finger on it, but there's something here that appeals to me greatly, haven't been able to put it out of my mind properly, having seen it in the alternative pickup thread....
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup