What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
07hubbardj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by 07hubbardj » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:42 am

Latest finished project just to come off the workbench was a nice simple one. Got given some nice gold knobs with abalone? tops on them, so they went on the 2012 vm jaguar. After looking at it, decided the switches and rollers needed to match so (very carefully) painted those with spray paint for the rollers and posca paint markers for the switches. Pretty pleased with the results!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:43 pm

after 8 months of me saying "i'll cut a new nut for the perkele bass" i finally did. my god do i wish i did it sooner. it's soo good for that jesus lizard bass tone.... only with more low mids.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Are you guys using the same filter? How do you make it look like you live in fog?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:50 pm

sirspens wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 pm
Are you guys using the same filter? How do you make it look like you live in fog?
nope. fun fact. most times during the winter in the uk, the light is just like that. plus my phone is 8 years old.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:32 pm

sirspens wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 pm

LOLZ

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am

This little thing has been hanging around my workshop this week:

...it is going to be a fretless, two-string baritone guitar. Not sure where this thing is taking me. 28" scale length, reclaimed mahogany body and neck (a seventy-year old door frame for the former and a bed frame for the latter), reclaimed massaranduba fretboard (from a discarded terrasse board). The massaranduba is strangely easy to work with, despite its being as hard as ebony. Not the prettiest of African woods but man, is it tough. I tried to scratch it with my fingernail and it felt like rock. It gets nasty with power tools though - the dust feels like pepper spray! :ph34r:

It will serve as a prototype for a small lutherie class I'll give in December for my old work. The idea is to show people how to make an instrument with 30 dollars' worth of materials.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am

epizootics wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am
:w00t:

If I’d not read the baritone comment, and without anything particularly recognizable to get a sense of scale, this looks like it’s eventually going to become a ukulele.

Cute!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am

epizootics wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am
This little thing has been hanging around my workshop this week:

It will serve as a prototype for a small lutherie class I'll give in December for my old work. The idea is to show people how to make an instrument with 30 dollars' worth of materials.
That is so cool! :-* Some nice lateral thinking there.

Here's some further progress on mine- it has a certain amount in common with yours, in that it's small (22.7" scale) and it's made of leftovers- some offcuts of Spanish cedar, leftover short bits of carbon fibre, a fingerboard intended for something else that never got built, truss rod with damaged thread that I could cut down, and aluminium angle offcuts will be making their appearance as well.
:wtf: Did I mention that it's small? I scaled the templates up from a photo, divided the Dano 21" scale length by the length in the pic. Double/triple checked so it must be right(?) I never realised how tiny those Danos must have been. Should be a good travel/ couch guitar.
Watching the corners turn corners

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am
If I’d not read the baritone comment, and without anything particularly recognizable to get a sense of scale, this looks like it’s eventually going to become a ukulele.
I was thinking lap steel slide, but ukulele would be cool too!

antisymmetric wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am
Man! That bass is awesome! I LOVE the brown-ish tort on it!!

It's not done yet, but the assembly is almost done for my CD shelf. Still have to secure the vertical dividers, and plug the screw holes. I might wait until spring to stain and clearcoat it, unless we get a nice few days of weather. I intentionally left spaces between the categories of the CD's for knick-knacks and stuff like that. Feels SO much nicer in the apartment to have a major chunk of space taken up.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Out of curiosity, I just measured it in BricsCAD the same way you did...31.4" from head to butt, 11.5" across...This must be why they kept the headstock the same as other Danos, it would have looked even shorter otherwise with the neck/body joint at the 12th fret!
Any decisions on the hardware? This one seems to call for a homemade bridge.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Man! That bass is awesome! I LOVE the brown-ish tort on it!!
It's not done yet, but the assembly is almost done for my CD shelf. Still have to secure the vertical dividers, and plug the screw holes. I might wait until spring to stain and clearcoat it, unless we get a nice few days of weather. I intentionally left spaces between the categories of the CD's for knick-knacks and stuff like that. Feels SO much nicer in the apartment to have a major chunk of space taken up.
8) Nicely proportioned shelves- I like that you've left those display spaces, a nice touch. If you're not finishing right away, that gives you the chance to live with it a bit and make a few tweaks if needed. (My excuse for often not finishing stuff ::) )
Thanks for your words about the bass- it's pretty cool. It has the hatchet headstock (with Old Kraftsman rather than Kay logo). Neck is quite skinny and deep, surprising comfortable. Super light, and it somehow gets Jah Wobble tones :-* (despite being nothing like an Ovation Magnum). The celluloid pickguard is slowly but surely decaying- I have a nice piece of acrylic (courtesy of toots 8) ) to make a replacement from when disintegration becomes terminal.
epizootics wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:50 pm
Out of curiosity, I just measured it in BricsCAD the same way you did...31.4" from head to butt, 11.5" across...This must be why they kept the headstock the same as other Danos, it would have looked even shorter otherwise with the neck/body joint at the 12th fret!
Any decisions on the hardware? This one seems to call for a homemade bridge.
I just measured it- 11.22" across, and 32.3" long (I've messed with the headstock quite a bit- still a work in progress), so in the ballpark. Thanks for checking!
Homemade bridge for sure, kind of/sort of approximating the Dano bridge shape, but will incorporate a trem.
Watching the corners turn corners

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 pm

antisymmetric wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 pm
8) Nicely proportioned shelves- I like that you've left those display spaces, a nice touch. If you're not finishing right away, that gives you the chance to live with it a bit and make a few tweaks if needed. (My excuse for often not finishing stuff ::) )
Thanks man!! I knew I wanted the spaces between the musical categories, just to have a clear division there, but the extra spaces for knick-knacks was a later development. I don't usually change things when I get to this stage, but that is a good point. Usually by the time I start building, I know exactly how I want things. The design period is what usually takes me months. I love designing stuff, but sometimes I do just want to have things made and usable, you know?

My next one is probably gonna be a shelf for my video games, which will likely be similar with spaces for extra stuff as well. I saw this a few months ago, and am tempted to do something different with it, but I probably won't:

antisymmetric wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 pm
Thanks for your words about the bass- it's pretty cool. It has the hatchet headstock (with Old Kraftsman rather than Kay logo). Neck is quite skinny and deep, surprising comfortable. Super light, and it somehow gets Jah Wobble tones :-* (despite being nothing like an Ovation Magnum). The celluloid pickguard is slowly but surely decaying- I have a nice piece of acrylic (courtesy of toots 8) ) to make a replacement from when disintegration becomes terminal.
Very nice!! I love some of the tort Toots uses! I love those old designs so much. Just so much heart and soul in them, even though a lot of them were made SO cheaply ;D 8)
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am

Great looking shelves ShadowEclipse13!

I was never very happy with how this project ended up.

So, I've removed the finish. It went real quick with some scraping and acetone since it was just a few coats of truoil and some green oil paint. I need to do a bit of sanding now to get things looking a bit more even. Then, I'm thinking of a walnut-ish stain since I don't have any brown guitars. I'll throw the black guard back on for now and maybe do a tort guard down the road.

Doug
@dpcannafax

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:28 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am

I was never very happy with how this project ended up.

So, I've removed the finish. It went real quick with some scraping and acetone since it was just a few coats of truoil and some green oil paint. I need to do a bit of sanding now to get things looking a bit more even. Then, I'm thinking of a walnut-ish stain since I don't have any brown guitars. I'll throw the black guard back on for now and maybe do a tort guard down the road.

i love it.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:23 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am
Thanks man! I like where the JM is at now too!