What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What's on your workbench right now?

Post by andrewdoeshair » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:50 pm

This thread might exists, but I had no luck with the search...

Whether you're stuck on the same project that's been crushing your soul for a year, or you're about to start something new and fun, what is on your work bench RIGHT NOW?

I have 3 builds that I NEED to complete... My guitar building is becoming like my song writing; I lose interest half way in and find a million distractions to prevent me from spending time on them...

I would go snap a pic, but my phone is dead, so I'll just borrow the pics from their threads...

I started this a few months back; walnut JM for a friend. He never bought the parts that will go in it, so I'm sort of waiting to hear from him. I know he's a broke ass (records bands for a living) so I'm not trying to pressure him... I keep telling him to get budget stuff now and upgrade later! (shown with a Jag neck because it's all I had laying around)

I started this Jag shortly after the walnut guitar, but since starting it, I learned that I don't like the tiny frets or smaller radius, so I decided to build the neck from scratch too. While putting it off for so long, I ended up selling or using many of the guitar's parts. Now I need a new trem. And tuners...

And I have a Duo Sonic II meets Telecaster Deluxe hybrid, the "DU0 50N1C D3LUX3" that is in need of some work on the body (hopefully getting it done tomorrow)... I can't post a pic right now because Photobucket is testing my patience >:(
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

roger_that
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by roger_that » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 am

66 musatng bought cheap off of the ol 'bay.
She needs some/ alot of TLC and im not quite sure where to start because im not quite sure where to go with it...
im kinda digging the shitty sunburst refin with its cool wear marks and mojo but a fresh spray in charcoal frost would look, well, fresh!
Also, some jackass in the past did a pretty halfassed shoddy routing job in the pickup route which needs tidying BUT because of this i wont feel guilty bout puttin a humbucker in the bridge of a vintage piece of wood ;)
also, thinking bout an inbuilt fuzz from devi-ever.

thoughts? please...

cooterfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cooterfinger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 am

This just came off my workbench. Still needs paint but I'm going to play it for a few weeks first.

I’m going to try my hand at a light relic job. Daphne Blue on the body, tru-oil the neck.

"Smells like Rock N' Roll"

roger_that
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by roger_that » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:05 am

cooterfinger wrote:This just came off my workbench. Still needs paint but I'm going to play it for a few weeks first.

I’m going to try my hand at a light relic job. Daphne Blue on the body, tru-oil the neck.

diggin it, will look great in daphne too

cooterfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cooterfinger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:10 am

Thanks. I've got a mustang body waitin' in the wings as well. Be sure to post pics of yours when you get it finished. In case I need to steal some ideas. ;)
"Smells like Rock N' Roll"

mongoose
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mongoose » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:40 am

cooterfinger wrote:This just came off my workbench. Still needs paint but I'm going to play it for a few weeks first.

Needs a WRHB and TORT! (Sorry, couldn't resist) ;D .
"Every day I live forces me to add to the number of people who can kiss my ass."- mongoose

roger_that
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by roger_that » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:28 am

cooterfinger wrote:Thanks. I've got a mustang body waitin' in the wings as well. Be sure to post pics of yours when you get it finished. In case I need to steal some ideas. ;)
but of course!
its shaping up to be a long term project though, i keep coming up with great new ideas for it but can never decide on just one

decisions decisions....

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:34 am

I'm still running Workbench 3.1, even though it's massively obsolete at this point.

I haven't fired up my Amiga in about three months, but it probably has links to all the old games I installed for kicks. Slam Tilt, Beneath A Steel Sky, Monkey Island, stuff like that.
Train hard enough and you too can punt skyscrapers.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:13 am

The mighty "Mustang VI" has been in dry dock for about 3 months. But I am getting a router this weekend ... !

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:14 am

Two refins have been on my bench for many months now. :(

A '59 JM body in nitro black, and a '58 in blonde.... both still need clearcoat.

Also, I have a '58 ash body on the way... it needs minor repairs and a blonde refin.

I really need to get moving on these two refins first!

Q. Are we not men?

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:09 am

threw me off, as i have no workbench.
here's the materials for my revised #2 project. I'm going to hotrod a first act neck, and stick it on a chambered/masonite/blue formica with binding body, made with my mustang-ish templates.
lipsticks, no pickguard, hopefully dano-tone.

c
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewdoeshair » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:50 am

Con-Tiki! wrote:threw me off, as i have no workbench.
here's the materials for my revised #2 project. I'm going to hotrod a first act neck, and stick it on a chambered/masonite/blue formica with binding body, made with my mustang-ish templates.

c
I had that same model First Act neck laying around here for a while. I found the guitar at Target, marked down from $150 to $40 because the pickup screw had come loose and the pickup was just hanging in the cavity. I didn't have the cash on me, but planned to get the guitar later, then I made the mistake of telling my friend about the steal. He ran over there and bought it, then asked me to use the parts to make him a guitar. We used it on a JM type build with a dark green stain. Called it the Gumbymaster because of the green and that headstock shape.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

clavin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clavin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:32 am

a circuit bent radio
just need to put it back together..

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 am

andrewdoeshair wrote:
Con-Tiki! wrote:threw me off, as i have no workbench.

c
I had that same model First Act neck laying around here for a while. I found the guitar at Target, marked down from $150 to $40 because the pickup screw had come loose and the pickup was just hanging in the cavity. I didn't have the cash on me, but planned to get the guitar later, then I made the mistake of telling my friend about the steal. He ran over there and bought it, then asked me to use the parts to make him a guitar. We used it on a JM type build with a dark green stain. Called it the Gumbymaster because of the green and that headstock shape.
yep, paid 49 bucks for this guitar because the knobs were gone. suprisingly rockin pickups it had, and a stripe made of skulls...
it's not a bad neck, just wide.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

LocustPlague
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LocustPlague » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 am

I don't have a workbench yet. I moved about a month ago and just haven't had the time to build one yet.

My next project lined up is to wind some replacement pickups for my old bass. It has active pickups and I just hate changing batteries. Plus one of the pickups seems to be busted -- one string is about half as loud as the others, regardless of pickup height adjustment.

After that, I might actually try to build a violin. I've never held one, much less played one, so it might be interesting. The end goal is to build an archtop guitar, though...