What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
will
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by will » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm refretting two Mosrites and a Teisco, so there's a bunch of fretwire that needs to be filed so that the tang doesn't get in the way of the binding.

I haven't done too much work on Mosrites before, but they sure are weird machines. One is from earlier in 66, and the other is from later in the same year. The earlier guitar has the fretwire ends bent over so drastically that the ends are pretty sharp - and hard to pull up!

Some of the frets are kinda askew - I guess the frets were trimmed kinda brutally before the binding was installed?

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:09 am

I've had that happen on cheaper fretwire when hammering it in. Could be from brutal trimming but also from brutal hammering..!
Those hooks look painfull :wtf: Stay safe! ;)
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:59 am

Just finished up some models of some special jaguar pickup covers for an upcoming project. The idea is to have a pair of jaguar pickups in a cover similar to the one on a Yamaha SG-3. These would still accommodate the standard claws, but would look like a single wide claw. I wasn't sure of the dimensions of the Yamaha unit, so I made them the width of a WRHB. Now I'm waiting on some prototype prints, to see if they'll work.

Doug
@dpcannafax

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:59 am
Just finished up some models of some special jaguar pickup covers for an upcoming project. The idea is to have a pair of jaguar pickups in a cover similar to the one on a Yamaha SG-3. These would still accommodate the standard claws, but would look like a single wide claw. I wasn't sure of the dimensions of the Yamaha unit, so I made them the width of a WRHB. Now I'm waiting on some prototype prints, to see if they'll work.

Wow... I was searching for a yamaha sg3 pickup cover. If its is possible I may be interested in buying one from you.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Those custom Jag covers are awesome!!! You should do a 3 coil one like that one weird vintage guitar that had 3 coils at the bridge and a single at the neck. Can't think of what it was. Originally thinking Yamaha but I think that's wrong...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 pm

ThePearDream wrote:

I don't know what I'd do with them but they look amazing.
We are merely moving shadows.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback everybody!
frelonvert wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 pm
Wow... I was searching for a yamaha sg3 pickup cover. If its is possible I may be interested in buying one from you.
This is not currently for sale (don't want to get in trouble with the admins) and is currently in the prototype stage. I'll be at 50 posts soon, and should have any bugs in the design ironed out by then. At that point, I may be open to making it available. Even then, it's not designed to fit the SG-3, as I've never even seen one in person and have no clue on the dimensions.
Those custom Jag covers are awesome!!! You should do a 3 coil one like that one weird vintage guitar that had 3 coils at the bridge and a single at the neck. Can't think of what it was. Originally thinking Yamaha but I think that's wrong...
This doesn't ring any bells. Sounds like a beast though.
I don't know what I'd do with them but they look amazing.
I'm thinking of doing some kind of mashup of a Jagstang and an SG-3. I have a Jagstang template on the way from Faction Guitars. I'll start a build thread soon.

Doug
@dpcannafax

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 pm
Thanks for the feedback everybody!
frelonvert wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 pm
This doesn't ring any bells. Sounds like a beast though.
Ibanez did the original “triplebucker” in a ‘70s Iceman. Alvarez did a triple in the late ‘80s, but I think it was in the accursed Dana Scoop, and we should probably just let that one lie.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks for the names! It was the Hamer Phantom!! I seem to remember MaggieO talking about it a few months back. For some reason it stuck with me, but not the name...

Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tommycarlos » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 am

Working on a Jazzmaster-ish kit. This is my first kit guitar.

tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tommycarlos » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:35 am

Just needs some final soldering, then I’ll know for sure how it turned out.

Already plays very nice though.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 am

ThePearDream wrote:
The first version prototype was a wee bit too small, so I had to rework the model, doing more precise measurements. My version two prototype arrived this morning and I think it will work. 8)

Since this was a prototype, I just used the cheapest possible material. The final version will be smooth, polished plastic. I will have to shave a hair off of the portion of the claws that is hidden, to get the pickups fully inserted.

I'm thinking of doing one A2 coil and one slightly under wound A5 RWRP coil with some wiring that will allow me to do either coil alone + series/parallel options and maybe a bass cut control that only works when in series.

Now that I know my model will work, I'll use that to create a routing template and have that laser cut in MDF by Ponoko.
Doug
@dpcannafax

rwlandes
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rwlandes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 am
ThePearDream wrote:
The first version prototype was a wee bit too small, so I had to rework the model, doing more precise measurements. My version two prototype arrived this morning and I think it will work. 8)

Since this was a prototype, I just used the cheapest possible material. The final version will be smooth, polished plastic. I will have to shave a hair off of the portion of the claws that is hidden, to get the pickups fully inserted.

I'm thinking of doing one A2 coil and one slightly under wound A5 RWRP coil with some wiring that will allow me to do either coil alone + series/parallel options and maybe a bass cut control that only works when in series.

Now that I know my model will work, I'll use that to create a routing template and have that laser cut in MDF by Ponoko.
Cool! I owned an SGV300 and it had a center détente blend pot for blending those two coils. It was really handy.

verhoevenc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by verhoevenc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 am

Really digging this double-cover. Very cool and fun!
Chris
Luthier are Raygun Guitars

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:26 am

I received a new custom neck from Best Guitar Parts and am trying out a tru oil finish on it.

Here's how it looked when it arrived:

A quick trip to the sanding station, a little hand sanding and it's ready for finish.

Below are the specs I ordered:

The Katalox is nice in person, looks like a dark-ish rosewood with tighter pores and I like that none of the wood had to come from the other side of the world.

This will be a new neck for my black GFS partsmaster. The GFS neck is fine for what it is, and for the price, There are just some things I don't like about it. The fretboard is too flat and the frets are too wide and the headstock is ugly and the finish is too orange. After this, I'd like to upgrade the body to a warmoth. I do like the GFS goldfoils though.

I need to figure out what I want the decal to say now.

I was really impressed with the range of options BGP can do. They don't have any fancy cosmetic options like block & binding. But If someone was so inclined, they could make you a short scale 12 string neck. FYI, the thing needs typical fretwork, beveling, end shaping, leveling, etc. Not a problem for me, just be aware.
Doug
@dpcannafax