What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 am

gjn wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:58 am
Horsefeather wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:53 am
I can't stand an imbalanced headstock so I'm redoing those of my S-500 (Tribute) and a Squier P-bass.

The stock G&L shape is too smashed in so I'm giving it a fuller contour to complement the body better and I've always disliked how the P-bass headstock is biased so far to the left to accommodate those wide base tuners. My Squier has small tuner bases so I'm shifting the whole thing to the right and giving it a Coronado type shape as well.

That looks bold! I'd like to see some more steps as you work?
Band saw, disc sander, and drum sanding bit chucked into a drill press, plus some hand sanding with a block, have gotten me to this point. Now for the careful hand contouring to final shape.

I'm hoping the G&L coloring will match up better with some more block sanding.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 pm

A mess.

Right now there's a disassembled guitar, a disassembled DS Lite, and a salvaged LED screen with assorted driver board stuff that I need to assemble into a cohesive whole.

I'm giving myself the week to complete those projects.
This is an excellent rectangle

gjn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by gjn » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 am
gjn wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:58 am
Horsefeather wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:53 am
I can't stand an imbalanced headstock so I'm redoing those of my S-500 (Tribute) and a Squier P-bass.

The stock G&L shape is too smashed in so I'm giving it a fuller contour to complement the body better and I've always disliked how the P-bass headstock is biased so far to the left to accommodate those wide base tuners. My Squier has small tuner bases so I'm shifting the whole thing to the right and giving it a Coronado type shape as well.

That looks bold! I'd like to see some more steps as you work?
Band saw, disc sander, and drum sanding bit chucked into a drill press, plus some hand sanding with a block, have gotten me to this point. Now for the careful hand contouring to final shape.

I'm hoping the G&L coloring will match up better with some more block sanding.

Good job. Those joints look so tidy that the new pieces almost look like they were intended to be there.

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:14 pm

partsmaster pickup heights and wiring being corrected, plus stringing up, strap buttons and knobs

rhythm switch made a handy string-out-the-way guide........ :whistle:

Wolfbreaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Wolfbreaker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:48 pm

Had a buddy come visit. We decided to build a guitar.
"Acousticals instruments? Oh you mean Grandpas Guitars!"

thephza
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thephza » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:47 am

Here's a sneak peek at one of my upcoming projects:

As always, I can't recommend Lomic Guitars enough for any custom body, routing, and pickguard work you need. If you have wacky ideas like me, he's your guy.

verhoevenc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by verhoevenc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:11 am

I like those CF plates!!!
Chris
Luthier are Raygun Guitars

kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kifla » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:03 am

verhoevenc wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:11 am
Yep, me to!
Can we get some more details on those CF plates?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 am

so i finally got around to finishing off the personality crisis jazzmaster. it's called that because it's been like 8 different colours. i think im sticking with yellow.

offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

thephza
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thephza » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:25 am

kifla wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:03 am
verhoevenc wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:11 am
Yep, me to!
Can we get some more details on those CF plates?
The carbon fiber plates are from: https://www.ebay.com/str/nikocarbonworks

I had them shipped directly to Lomic Guitars to make sure everything fit up nice with the custom pickguard he made for me.

While I haven't seen them first hand, I completely trust the assessment that the plates don't arrive as clean as depicted in the eBay photos. So, if you purchase them, be warned that they might be a little rough and in need of some extra work.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:42 am

I've been tweaking my Jazzmaster contours to be more swoopy and dramatic.

I tried having the belly contour's 'break angle' with the flat back surface of the guitar fading away to almost nothing as it approaches the butt end. This makes more room for the arm contour to be deeper, as well as following it more suitably when viewed from the edge.

I leave just enough flat perimeter for the roundover bearing to follow as far as it needs to. I also merged to a smaller roundover radius as the contours deepen, and this leaves even more room for them to have maximum depth. I have the CNC take care of the roundovers in the contour areas, since they dip down and can't be cut with the bearing in any case, so programming a smooth transition to smaller radius and back up to the large radius when the bearing takes over was quite straightforward!

My philosophy with contours is to smooth the transition surfaces to the face and back as much as possible. I personally don't like to see a clear 'break line' where the arm contour starts, whilst it can be a cool design line to emphasize, I have always felt with a good gloss finish, the reflections do that job in a more subtle and effective way (my arm contour is basically a big arc).

Initial impressions are very good, I think they're a big improvement. They certainly look better and I think they feel better as well - though it's hard to tell before it's all assembled with strings and all the rest of it.

With some isopropyl alcohol to show how it will look under a finish.

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:50 pm

Was looking for the like button... I like those contours.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:51 am

Very interesting thread! Lots of cool projects!

Here is my most recent one:
Modding my Eastwood Sidejack Deluxe!

Finally found open P90 frames to give it a proper 60s look!
A bit inspired by the Vox Bulldog guitar that was used in the Entrance Band‘s Fuzz Club Session... maybe I‘m gonna exchange the guard too - either black or Mint - but this is not my main priority.
For today: tuning machines (got Kluson Mosrite replacement tuners instead of those green tulip ones that are only acceptable on Les Pauls)

The problem I‘m facing right now is, that the covers aren‘t anywhere near of a tight fit (as I‘m used to from both my P-Rails and a friend‘s Burstbuckers I helped him with - didn‘t have to solder any of them) - what would you suggest to do to make them fit? Glue? My plan right now would be to approximate them with a clamp and put a lot of solder on the lenght-side.
Any other ideas?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:02 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:51 am
Very interesting thread! Lots of cool projects!

Here is my most recent one:
Modding my Eastwood Sidejack Deluxe!

Finally found open P90 frames to give it a proper 60s look!
A bit inspired by the Vox Bulldog guitar that was used in the Entrance Band‘s Fuzz Club Session... maybe I‘m gonna exchange the guard too - either black or Mint - but this is not my main priority.
For today: tuning machines (got Kluson Mosrite replacement tuners instead of those green tulip ones that are only acceptable on Les Pauls)

The problem I‘m facing right now is, that the covers aren‘t anywhere near of a tight fit (as I‘m used to from both my P-Rails and a friend‘s Burstbuckers I helped him with - didn‘t have to solder any of them) - what would you suggest to do to make them fit? Glue? My plan right now would be to approximate them with a clamp and put a lot of solder on the lenght-side.
Any other ideas?
sorry no advice but those look dope. i'm kinda tempted to build a p-90 guitar just to have those rings now.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:27 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:02 pm

sorry no advice but those look dope. i'm kinda tempted to build a p-90 guitar just to have those rings now.
:D
WD music UK seems to be the only one in Europe to have them.
So yes, go for it! Everyone needs at least one P90 guitar. It is known! ;)
Btw, for now: a shrinking tube did the trick for now... no soldering, no clamping but still a good and solid (and also cheap and reversible) fix!
Right now on re-doing the wiring!