Curtis Novak Jag pickup review thread (Sound clips are up!)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Curtis Novak Jag pickup review thread (Sound clips are up!)

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Curtis Novak was nice enough to send a selection of his Jag pickups to try. He sent:
JMx neck
Lipstick neck
and his Jaguar bridge pickup.

I will update this thread as I try out these pickups, and let people know the word on these since most are brand new. Hopefully have sound clips of them all too.

First set up is JMx neck with AVRI bridge pickup.

I was a bit worried at first thinking that since the pickup is not height adjustable that it might be hard to balance out with the bridge pickup without throwing my bridge pickup sound out of wack. I tested this pickup at 5.5k I believe and it matches with the Jag bridge nicely. I will be trying it with the Novak Jaguar bridge pickup then too. By itself it sounds like a JM to a degree. On the Jag I would amost say it is more "spanky." On the rhythm circuit it sounds great. Nice warm sound, but even under high gain it remains defined and not muddy. My test for neck pickup muddiness is playing The Grobe by Ween.

The middle position is interesting. I would be anxious to hear these pickups as a set. You can get those nice rhythm Jazzmaster tones out of the center. Sometimes my Jag gets muddy in the middle position, but this sounds nice, and with the gain rolled way back (its a Tiny Terror) it has an almost acoustic quality. I think these actually sound better for Surf than the Jag pickups. Palm muted it has a more percussive sound.

If you have any questions about different setups with this pickup let me know. Should be on the lipstick tomorrow.

Last edited by Pepe Silvia on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Curtis Novak Jag pickup review thread

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 pm

So I put the lipstick in at the neck, I think I wired it out of phase though so I got to try this again. But alone it sounds great. It still sounds like a Jag, but its more mellow with some of the highs gone. I forget what I measured it but I think it was under 5k. It sounds great clean and is great with a little gain to get a real garagey tone. Under more distortion it does get a bit mushy but that is to be expected from such a low output pickup.

If I was using a Fender amp and just using the amp's clean and natural overdrive this is the pickup that I would want to have.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:53 am

huh, i thought someone would be interested in hearing about these pickups

Robbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Robbo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:59 am

eurotrashed wrote:huh, i thought someone would be interested in hearing about these pickups
I know I am. I'm thinking about changing the neck pickup in my MIM 50s Classic Tele and the TEL-JM caught my eye over at Curtis' site--this kind of review is exactly the kind of help I need to make that decision. :)
Last edited by Robbo on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tritone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tritone » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:02 am

I don't even have a Jag and I'm interested.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:14 am

Very cool. I'm super jealous that you get to try these out. :(

;)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mapofthedead
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mapofthedead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:36 am

Do the JMx pickups attach to the guitar the way it looks - just wired up (obviously) and then attached to the pickguard, no need for routing bodies, etc. to make it fit?
La prospérité, ca n'existe pas mon gars. La fatalité, ca n'arrange que toi.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:43 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:Very cool. I'm super jealous that you get to try these out. :(

;)
Can you come out to PA when I try and record these and ghost play for me so people don't think I have been playing guitar for 2 days. lol

The pickups attach kind of like a P90 but they are surface mounted, no modification to the pickguard. Just two screws into the body cavity

On Curtis Novak's Jag:

I don't know what it is, but I am liking this lipstick a lot more today. It was sounding goofy with my Jag pickup in the bridge and I thought I might have had the leads swapped. But it actually sounds great in the middle. With the Jag pickup in the bridge it still sounds like a Jag but with more bite. Its not as bright sounding, it sounds more full, more mean

chase
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chase » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:21 am

Tritone wrote:I don't even have a Jag and I'm interested.
Same here. Pickup reviews, especially of the one-man-shops, are hard to find. Thanks for posting these!

saxjag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by saxjag » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Wanna hear CLIPS! Wanna wanna wanna.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 pm

eurotrashed wrote:huh, i thought someone would be interested in hearing about these pickups
Am, but...
saxjag wrote:Wanna hear CLIPS! Wanna wanna wanna.
I love it when my answer is already there courtesy of someone else.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Give me some time

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Interface is in the mail. Friday might be a recording day.

Ok, so now I have the JMx in the bridge and a Novak Jaguar bridge in the neck position since the JMx is a neck pickup. First let me say I still need to try the Novak Jaguar pickup in the bridge where it belongs, but wow, 10x better than AVRI. Its as if when Fender was making the AVRI they didn't actually play a vintage Jag, but just heard one on the TV and wanted to make a stereotypical Jag sound. This Novak Jag pickup seems fuller, still bright but less ice picky and more complex. And wow, this JMx pickup though is amazing. This is the sound I wanted all along. I will have to try out the lipstick in the bridge before I make my decision on what pickups I am going to buy.

Now onto more onto the JMx pickup. I do have lots of interference in my room, and it seems that since the pickup is on top of the guitar and not inside the guitar, it sees a lot more interference. If I turn towards the TV it does get loud. It is also slightly bigger than a standard JM pickup. I will have to upload the picture of it sitting on the JM guard that I have (thanks Rich).

One big downside to the lipstick I can see is that you would need to get a custom guard made for the pickups to fit in with no gaps. And that if I did it, people will think I am an Oliver Ackerman poser as I would probably get a white guard...

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:46 am

Ok, this is my first recording ever. Lots of mess ups and I am sorry for the volume drop halfway through. I didn't know what I was doing. lol

This is the Novak Jag bridge pickup in the neck and the JMx neck in the bridge

Orange TIny Terror with tone at noon.

Clean:
Surf wax USA and Say it aint so by weezer. Bridge pickup
Blowin It by Dino. both pickups.

Dirty:
The Bucket by KOL bridge.
Everywhere with Helicopters by GBV. both pickups.

Dirtier.
Out There by Dino, bridge pickup
Noone else by Weezer. both pickups

Lipstick and neck demos coming soon
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t/g/t ... ridge2.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Curtis Novak Jag pickup review thread (Demos being added)

Post by Pepe Silvia » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 am

A little bit better playing this time. No volume drop either. Same song line up and everything, but I ended up dicking around at random parts.

Same neck pickup. Lipstick neck at the bridge. I like this one a lot.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t/g/t ... bridge.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;