Body relicing....

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Body relicing....

Post by mcjt » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:01 am

but i saw recently pix from the fender custom shop where they were putting nitro-ed bodies in the freezer to encourage checking....
?
Member 347

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:14 pm

mcjt wrote: but i saw recently pix from the fender custom shop where they were putting nitro-ed bodies in the freezer to encourage checking....
?
I haven't seen those pix, but I know a few NAMM's ago the custom shop did a demonstration on how they relic their bodies and they did the upside down compressed air trick on their bodies there.  I have heard about the freezer trick too but never actually seen it down - don't know if Fender now does this, but it makes sense as a more even way to check the body.  My family is a little country where there are lots of hunters so natually most people have a "deep freeze" out in the garage where they store all their hunted meat over long periods of time.  You could easily fit several offsets in there whole....I'm going to try it with my tele when I go to my grandma's  house this summer.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:29 pm

I think the secret is....laquer it & let it hang for 1 or 2 weeks. Then put it in a deep freeze for 72 hours. It'll look checked straight away. Gradually over the following months those lines & others will open up to get that olde worlde checked look.

Don't quote me on this. Its a method my mate uses!! Also keep well away from anti-freeze!!!!!!!!!!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.