Advice on bad ebay seller....

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Advice on bad ebay seller....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:34 am

OK. This has gone on too long. As mentioned in another thread recently won a full set of single-line klusons that, according to the seller, came off a 59 fender ($trat, Jag, JM...whatever). He sent them quickly as priority mail (all good) but the high-e had half the split shaft snapped off....as illustrated below

So...I emailled him & he replied almost immediately with an apology & asked which tuner I needed. I specified - quote - "It was the top E  (1960 Kluson single-line)"

He said a replacement was on its way & this morning it arrived....

I don't know if you can tell but it doesn't say KLUSON on the single line, just DELUXE. Also there's no serial number on the back!!!

Has this guy sent me the wrong part, again?? It looks like it to me. Seeing as I paid top-money for these tuners I want a complete, original set!!

My feelings are that, if he doesn't send the right part I'll have to take it up with ebay. I've heard you can go through certain channels & get a full refund. Is this correct?

I'm sure many of you guys will have had several encounters with similar, annoying dealers in the past.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Advice on bad ebay seller....

Post by zhivago » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:38 am

hmm...looks like an aged reissue to me.

did you pay via credit card through  paypal?

you might be able to reverse the charge.
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:47 am

Not sure that this is the correct forum for this... but then again I don't know where else you would put it.

That's an older repro. They're pretty good tuners, but not worth the big bucks of an original. He owes you an original... you paid for a complete set. eBay's "refund" maximum is small... I think it's only $200 of which they take a $25 "processing fee".  You have to exactly follow an unweildly procedure  to even get it.

IMO, your best bet is to give the seller one more try, and if there's no joy... send the whole set back to him for a full refund. If he won't take it, you can file the procedure for the refund and give him a neg. That's about all you can do.

You can also try a refund through paypal if you used it, I think they actually pay out more than will eBay. The credit card suggestion is good too, if it applies.

I bought a '63 Jaguar once, I asked specifically about the tuners twice and he swore they were original. It arrived with a full set of those DELUXEs on it. So I feel your pain.... 

>:(

Edit:  Besides, isn't that a low e? Or am I dyslexic today?
Q. Are we not men?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:48 am

Yes. It was a VISA/DELTA paypal transaction. I've just sent a polite e-mail asking for another replacement. I've even offered to send pictures so the doofus can get it right!!

Should it come down to it, what do you do to get the charge reversed??

Edit - OK, Fullerplasts post came as I was typing so I missed it. I'll wait for a reply, then if its bad I'll start the refund process!!! What a prick!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:52 am

jazzheadmark wrote: Yes. It was a VISA/DELTA paypal transaction

you mean a Debit card?

my debit card says Visa/Delta on it.

I'm 99% certain it needs to be an actual credit card you pay a monthly bill on.

I think the way it works is you ring up the credit card people and explain to them what happened, and then they take it from there.

I *think* that's how it works...never done it before.....
Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:54 am

Yeah sorry, its a Debit card. I don't trust myself with Credit cards!!!  :)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:00 am

Incidentally it Hoboken Vintage Guitars in New Jersey.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:02 am

Hoboken Vintage Guitars is the seller?

ok...that's probably making your position a bit better, as they are a real shop, rather than a private seller....

let's wait and see what they say.....
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:37 am

jazzheadmark wrote: Incidentally it Hoboken Vintage Guitars in New Jersey.
Hoboken Vintage Guitars

"Home of the Most Overpriced Gear in the New York Metro Area"

or

"Bringing Denmark Street Prices to the USA!"

;)
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 am

Thanks mjet260, that makes me feel a whole lot better!!  :D  :k

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:59 am

mjet260 wrote:
"Bringing Denmark Street Prices to the USA!"

;)

LMAO!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:36 am

jazzheadmark wrote: Thanks mjet260, that makes me feel a whole lot better!!  :D  :k
Don't worry - they're expensive (you already know that though since you bought something from them) but I have no reason to doubt their sincerity or honesty. I bought a Coronado XII hardshell case for them a few years ago and had no problems.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Hallelujah!!!

After waiting all day I ended up finding their site & emailling them directly (the original emails were from Partdrawer@aol.com).

I desrcibed the part I'm supposed to have got in minute detail, its like I was lecturing them on vintage parts (I bet they loved that!!!)

I got a reply 5 minutes later saying, again, email us your address & we'll send it out tomorrow.

Gadzooks I hate ebay!! The Gibson Hummingbird I'm thinking of bidding on can fuck right off!!! I'm through with ebay.......for now!!  :D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:49 am

The saga continues....

Now they want me to send back the 6 they originally sent me. This means paying for post & packaging that I really shouldn't have to pay!!!

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:34 am

I just went through this with a tosser of a seller who sent me a MIJ repro whammy bar rather than the 65 vintage JM whammy he had in the auction.  The idiot would not refund the shipping $$$ or any of the $$ to ship the repro bar back to him.

You are caught between a rock and a hard place.  If yoiu want to go direct to your credit card (I assume you paid via paypal...  it's been a few days since I read this thread and I am too lazy to go back and read it again) and cancel the transaction because "the good received were not as described"  the first thing that will be asked is "have you sent back the goods to the seller"  In my experience  (and it has happened a number of times to me overthe past 10 or 12 years) is that you will not get back all of the $$$  ... you will not get back the $$$ you spend on  psoting the stuff back but the full purchase price + the original shipping costs will be refunded.

You can also negotiate with the seller  but after my last fiasco with this idiot who said "and honest mistake is an excuse in a court of law, so I don't have to refund all the shipping costs"  (this only works for Vice President chainey when he nearly shoots someones head off), my advice would be at a certain point you have to pull the plug and just demand the $$$ back from your credit card.  Do not even bother to go through paypal as essentially they are the seller  (it  comes up on your statement as a purchase through paypal).

Either way you are screwed... you have to pay out some $$$ to ship the item or items back.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...