I could use some case repair ideas..

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

I could use some case repair ideas..

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:14 am

My case has a crack that starts right next to the handle, goes right up over the lip on the lid, and continues on about 6" toward the middle of the case. It's tough to see at that point as it's under the tolex but the lid wobbles a bit and when I carry the case the latch pops off because the case pulls away from it.

I have some tolex and thought about cutting away an inch wide strip along the crack and filling it with wood glue and then replacing the tolex. I'm not sure about it though, I don't know if the repaired crack will be a strong enough to justify a pretty obvious scar.. anyone have ideas that could get better functional and cosmetic results?

Last edited by daydreamdelay on Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: I could use some case repair ideas..

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:25 pm

Rather than replacing a strip of tolex, I would just cut the tolex, following the crack. Then you could seal the crack with some glue, then reglue the lifted tolex. The repair wouldn't be any more noticeable than the current damage.

Justin.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:28 pm

yeah that's an idea.. do you think the glue would hold up well?

wonder if I should some sort of adhesive filler or something

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 pm

I don't know really. It probably depends on how the break is, you know? If the wood is kind of twisted apart lengthwise some, following the grain, it should be pretty strong. If the break cuts across the grain, it probably won't be AS strong when it's reglued, but it would be way stronger than it is now. Almost certainly strong enough to keep your latch from popping open.

Also, you might be able to pull the red lining down and get to the crack from the underside. It would be less invasive that way and way easier to hide the repair. I've had a couple old Fender case where the lining was loose, so it might not be too difficult to pull it down some.

Justin

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:47 pm

yeah that could be a great idea.. I worry about ripping it though, has anyone done this successfully before?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:40 pm

I'd try to get at it from the inside as ilsf suggests .. if not, maybe try to get hold of some hypodermic needles and syringes - if the glue is thin enough, you could inject through the tolex into the crack and just end up with a row of pinholes that would be even less noticeable than a cut.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:16 am

damn I knew there was something I'd miss about the old neighborhood.. a thirty second stroll through the nearest park and I could've picked up half a dozen needles for this project

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:31 am

daydreamdelay wrote: damn I knew there was something I'd miss about the old neighborhood.. a thirty second stroll through the nearest park and I could've picked up half a dozen needles for this project
But there's a good chance you would give your case syphilis or something with those needles...

;D

Justin

Jim Shine

Post by Jim Shine » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:24 am

If you are  careful, the tolex should not rip. What I would do is peel back the tolex inside, sand the glue down off the wood, and glue in a couple wooden cleats. You could likely use something like popsicle sticks, or trin down some clothes pins. Just make a little brace running in the opposite direction that will stop the crack from spreading and add some strength.