Jazzmasters with non-Jazzmaster pickups - Whatcha got?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmasters with non-Jazzmaster pickups - Whatcha got?

Post by bodhi » Fri May 03, 2024 3:45 am

Unless you mean the pickup to pickup wiring, filtertrons are already wired in series like other humbuckers.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 03, 2024 5:27 am

bodhi wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:45 am
Unless you mean the pickup to pickup wiring, filtertrons are already wired in series like other humbuckers.
My understanding was that internally they're wired parallel, unlike Seth Lover designs, which is why their DCR readings are typically in the high 3K and 4K region.

John
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by John » Fri May 03, 2024 6:24 am

[/quote]
How would you compare it to the classic Jazzmaster pickup sound? And which Filtertron was it, because there seems to be many choices these days!
[/quote]
At the time I was trying to solve for a very boomy Classic Vibe neck pickup that I just couldn't adjust to make it sound good with my setup. I'm a big Gretsch fan and went with a Filtertron to kind of thin things out and get some clarity, which worked. Ultimately I ended up with the Fender J Mascis pickups and I'm happy with those, but I do consider going back to the Filtertron from time to time.

The Filtertron I chose was a Gretsch HS Filtertron from Adorama. Slightly more expensive than the GFS ones, but I think worth it. Also, I cut the bottoms of the pole pieces off to make it fit in the JM route.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 03, 2024 6:39 am

John wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:24 am
GilmourD wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:48 am
How would you compare it to the classic Jazzmaster pickup sound? And which Filtertron was it, because there seems to be many choices these days!
At the time I was trying to solve for a very boomy Classic Vibe neck pickup that I just couldn't adjust to make it sound good with my setup. I'm a big Gretsch fan and went with a Filtertron to kind of thin things out and get some clarity, which worked. Ultimately I ended up with the Fender J Mascis pickups and I'm happy with those, but I do consider going back to the Filtertron from time to time.

The Filtertron I chose was a Gretsch HS Filtertron from Adorama. Slightly more expensive than the GFS ones, but I think worth it. Also, I cut the bottoms of the pole pieces off to make it fit in the JM route.
Interesting that your neck pickup was boomy as my experience has been that the factory ones have been bright and clear wound in the 6K range. I do play through a Deluxe Reverb, though, so that may help. LOL

This is going to be going in a Candy Apple Red GuitarFetish XGP body, so the route shouldn't be an issue. Just gotta get a pickguard with no RC controls cut (not that I couldn't route the body for the controls, but I don't wanna) that's cut for the pickups... Gotta decide on pickguard material, too, but that'll come after I'm sure of which pickups I'm going for.

How would you compare the sound to the Mascis pickups? And these are the current signature Mascis pickups from Fender?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri May 03, 2024 9:01 am

I'm working on a Thinline Jazzmaster - probably called Mithrandir - Wielder of the SECRET FIRE - as a nod to Gandalf and his love for Birds - with PAF sized Firebird Pickups behind regular Jazzmaster covers. The blank/flat Firebird cover blend perfectly in - so that it might not be distinguishable from a meter a far. Not that I want/need to cover them - they do look cool. But I already have enough PAF sized pickups in offsets and had spare covers and spare pickguards that would end up unused otherwise. The pickups are held in place by little pieces of foam and the regular JM pickup screws (which also control the height).